darkest moment of being a jets fan

johnny green balls

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vinny T injury certainly was a let-down. Even though it was game 1, the expectations were so huge going into that season. Every other Parcells team to that point had gone to the SB in year 3 of his regime, and the Jets seemed poised.

The Cleveland Gastineau penalty playoff game hurt. Even though the expectations were not huge going into the playoffs (The Jets had limped down the stretch from 10-1 to 10-6), teh game was winnable and you had a shot to go to teh Championship game.

The Mud Bowl was just flat deflating. McNeil had been on a great roll, and teh defense was there. To just see Freeman negated because of a field was hard to watch. The Jets were truly the better team.

post your personal low point of being a jets fan.

mine was when vinny went down for the year on opening day 1999.

i might have to agree. I felt something I never felt before heading into that season: hope.

and it was quickly taken away from us.

Plus the Steelers playoff game was a killer, but I already knew herm edwards was a schmuck.

Some good ones here already. Vinny going down in game one was tough because expectations were so high.

Keith Byars and his friggin' Crisco hands in the Denver game were awful because we were SO close. I'll also throw in Gastineau's late hit on Bernie Kosar to snatch defeat from the jaws of vistory in a playoff game.

1986....starting out 10-1, finishing 10-6. then the Gastineau penalty against Cleveland took away our shot at the Broncos in the AFC Championship game.

a close 2nd was the Denver game in '98. After Blake Spence blocked the punt, I called my travel agent looking for a trip to the Super Bowl. Thanks to Dave Megget and Keith Byars it never happened. CRUSHING!!!

the one that kills me is the end of the '86 season when we were up 10 with 5 minutes left to go..so we go to the prevent def ( and the reason i HATE the prevent def) and of course there was #99's lovely penalty ( and the reason i HATE mark g.) ...

2 OT's ... and the start of a crappy 1987...

i actually threw things at the tv... :lol:

OY!!!!

1986....starting out 10-1, finishing 10-6. then the Gastineau penalty against Cleveland took away our shot at the Broncos in the AFC Championship game.

a close 2nd was the Denver game in '98. After Blake Spence blocked the punt, I called my travel agent looking for a trip to the Super Bowl. Thanks to Dave Megget and Keith Byars it never happened. CRUSHING!!!

Dave Meggett is a forgotten villain in that travesty.

Adding him late in the year was as bad a personnel move Parcells made, beside not having adequate back-up for Vinny T the following year.

the one that kills me is the end of the '86 season when we were up 10 with 5 minutes left to go..so we go to the prevent def ( and the reason i HATE the prevent def) and of course there was #99's lovely penalty ( and the reason i HATE mark g.) ...

2 OT's ... and the start of a crappy 1987...

i actually threw things at the tv... :lol:

OY!!!!

To confound that game was Walton's play calling after the game got tight-

Run, Run, Run, Punt. Over and Over again.

The defense was valiant, but they were just losing field position. Then friggin Mark Mosley closes the deal.

To confound that game was Walton's play calling after the game got tight-

Run, Run, Run, Punt. Over and Over again.

The defense was valiant, but they were just losing field position. Then friggin Mark Mosley closes the deal.

it pains me to even talk about this game...

it still makes me angry...LOL

Oakland in 02 and Pittsburgh in 04 were incredibly painful losses.

To choose one though it would be Pittsburgh, I was sure we had the game won.

That game would have bothered me a lot more if I wasn't pretty sure we would get stomped the following week, anyway.

post your personal low point of being a jets fan.

mine was when vinny went down for the year on opening day 1999.

mine was recent, the end of the Browns game this year when the team gave up a winnable game and the coach decided that going for a second off sides in a row was a better option then letting KC go for it inside the 20 on 4 and a few yards. I never felt as robbed as a fan as i did at that moment. Here i was going to every single game all year, putting up with the rain and cold to support the team, and they were going to just lay down and die like that when the game was still in our grasp. I really took that one personal, and marched down to the railing in 125/124 and yelled for every one on the field to hear, that i thought tonight they were a bunch of bums. I never boo'd my team before, but i was beside myself that night.

As bad as the jets have been in the course of their career, i just never remember them just outright giving up in a close game like that.

How about just being a fan of this team since '64. Doesn't get any darker than that.

Yeah, but you got to be part a SB Victory which many of us haven't. Football didn't interest me until the 70s.

Which raises a question to me.

If picking a sports team to cheer for because they're winning is hopping on the bandwagon, what do you call becoming a Jets fan?

Yeah, but you got to be part a SB Victory which many of us haven't. Football didn't interest me until the 70s.

If picking a sports team to cheer for because they're winning is hopping on the bandwagon, what do you call becoming a Jets fan?

A serious Mistake;)

Has to be either being in attendance for the Vinny torn ACL in 1999 or the Keith Byars fumble and 2nd half of the 1998 Denver AFC Championship Game. Or of course, Doug Brien 2004 Pittsburgh Divisional. Those three are by far my worst thus far.

You've all posted some moments that were painful to even read.

To me the beatdown of the 1-15 season in 1996 was the worst

Interrupted briefly by "Woo-Hoo!!!!!....we beat the Cardinals!!!!"

You know, even during that 1-15 season you just knew, just knew that things were going to get better quickly.

there was talent on that team, and I think we could all see it coming. Plus, teh Parcells rumors started pretty near the end of teh season, so there was not a whole lot of time to dwell on teh negativity.

That '96 defense was pretty good. Hard to say that about a 1-15 team.

no he doesnt he got to see the superbowl!

hey! at least you got a SB!! ;)

Come on people....give me a break. You should know my story by now...hell, I've posted it a ton of times. One more time. Yeah, I was breathing when the Jets won SBIII...just barely. I was in the A Shau Valley on Jan 12, 1969...didn't find out the Jets won until 2 or 3 days later...bad moment of my life to be honest.

Archived