Sources: Sanders signs for five years, $37.5 million

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: December 28, 2007, 3:43 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract with the Colts that includes $20 million in guaranteed money, according to NFL sources.

The contract makes Sanders the highest-paid safety in the NFL.

Sanders, whose playoff performance sparked the Colts on their run to a Super Bowl victory last season, would have been an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Only reason I bring it up is b/c if were going to resign Kerry Rhodes who I believe is a FA this offseason (correct me if Im wrong...if its not this year its next year and we should give him an extension anyway), it will prob cost us more than it would have last year. Im not too mad though because we got to resign Bryan Thomas who has definitely earned his salary this year, as opposed to signing Rhodes, who is IMO our best player...

Also between Freeney Sanders and Manning how freakin expensive is the Colts roster???

We're going to have to give Kerry Rhodes a lot of money to keep him it would seem.

That was always gonna be the case. Rhodes is gonna be troublesome come contract time. I dont see him as the type to offer a home team discount or to leave a single penny on the table. I hope it works out because he is a playmaker on a team that is otherwise devoid of playmakers.

That was always gonna be the case. Rhodes is gonna be troublesome come contract time. I dont see him as the type to offer a home team discount or to leave a single penny on the table. I hope it works out because he is a playmaker on a team that is otherwise devoid of playmakers.

Exactly, we need to find a way to re-sign him IMO. We can't afford to let him go. I hope we sort this out ASAP as he is one of the few playmakers we have on this team. Tangini better find a way to get it done.

Exactly, we need to find a way to re-sign him IMO. We can't afford to let him go. I hope we sort this out ASAP as he is one of the few playmakers we have on this team. Tangini better find a way to get it done.

Assuming the Jets are willing to pay top dollar to Rhodes I think it will also depend on the state of the team. If the Jets sh!t the bed again next year and he hasnt signed then I think signing Rhodes will be an uphill battle.

In addition to his star power he is a team leader who seems to have taken ownership of the team's plight. He is a good one to keep.

Assuming the Jets are willing to pay top dollar to Rhodes I think it will also depend on the state of the team. If the Jets sh!t the bed again next year and he hasnt signed then I think signing Rhodes will be an uphill battle.

In addition to his star power he is a team leader who seems to have taken ownership of the team's plight. He is a good one to keep.

I agree and unfortunately I have a bad feeling we may **** this up.](*,)

I agree and unfortunately I have a bad feeling we may **** this up.](*,)

As you should ... the Jets franchise has been almost perfect in its inability to sign the right players (all the while locking up the wrong ones to cap busting, backbreaking long term deals). sigh.

Honestly if we cant even muster up the money for Rhodes, who is our only All Pro caliber player...who is either 25 or 26 years old...I will drive to the Jets offices wait outside for Tannebaum to leave and I will kick him in the nuts. Someone save this statement because I will freaking do it if it comes to this. Rhodes is a future Pro Bowler (should be already) and has the potential to be one of the top 2-3 safeties in the league (if he isnt already).

Not too mention my sig would be totally rediculous if he wasnt a Jet...w/ Vilma and Chad on the way out...losing all three players would make me look like a damn fool

Honestly if we cant even muster up the money for Rhodes, who is our only All Pro caliber player...who is either 25 or 26 years old...I will drive to the Jets offices wait outside for Tannebaum to leave and I will kick him in the nuts. Someone save this statement because I will freaking do it if it comes to this. Rhodes is a future Pro Bowler (should be already) and has the potential to be one of the top 2-3 safeties in the league (if he isnt already).

Not too mention my sig would be totally rediculous if he wasnt a Jet...w/ Vilma and Chad on the way out...losing all three players would make me look like a damn fool

LOL.

I too have a damn good reason for Rhodes to stay. I just got a Rhodes jersey and will be pretty damn pissed if he leaves. He should and would be a 2 time pro-bowler right now if it wasn't such a popularity contest.

I still think the Colts are getting a steal by signing him to a 5 year, $37.5 million deal. If Nate Clements can get $10 million from San Francisco, Bob Sanders should be getting about the same. I know, I know, he's not a Cornerback, but you know what? He is the Defensive MVP of this league. No player impacts a defense as much as Sanders does for Indianapolis. He is the man.

Archived