The Jets really should draft a QB with the #6 pick

TenThousandSpoons

I really like Brian Brohm.. I think he is going to a superstar in this leauge..

I don't understand why the Jets are so set on giving the keys to Kellen Clemens..

I know many of you like Kellen, but he is one of the worst QB's I have ever seen.. He really doesn't have the ability to play QB in the NFL.. No awareness, No accruacy, No timing...

He's pretty much a Browning Nagle clone.. Guy with a strong arm, and nothing else..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And drafting alone can't save a team. If it could, the Dolphins and 49ers and others who have had draft after draft of first round high picks would be good.

BZ

Very true.

We need a good FA class, a good draft, good trades, good coaching replacements, and a good offseason conditioning program and we will be right back in it.

If a franchise type QB is available at #6 they should really give it some serious thought especially if they feel there is a franchise type one available. Building the lines (both offensive and defense) is very important, but getting a strong franchise type QB to build around is even more important as no other positional player has as much influence as the Quarterback. QB's can last a very long time in this league you will have opportunities to build multiple playoff caliber teams around a good QB (look at Farve, they built 2 high playoff caliber teams in his career span).

Get the Franchise QB, fill in the line with the rest of the picks and build the parts around your QB. This team isn't going to be fixed in a season anyway especially if tightwad Johnson banks the under salary cap money again instead of spending to fill out the team.

I really like Brian Brohm.. I think he is going to a superstar in this leauge..

I don't understand why the Jets are so set on giving the keys to Kellen Clemens..

I know many of you like Kellen, but he is one of the worst QB's I have ever seen.. He really doesn't have the ability to play QB in the NFL.. No awareness, No accruacy, No timing...

He's pretty much a Browning Nagle clone.. Guy with a strong arm, and nothing else..

Brohm is OK but has an average arm and is accurate, at times. He fell like a sack of potatoes this year though. I like WOODSON a lot more! Can you please advise us which QB could win 3 games behind our OL, weak run game as a result of poor OL play and no speed at WR? Can you please tell us that IF Kellen's receivers held on to a few accurate passes into the end zone, he should have won two more. Lets see. That would make him 5 out of 7. Gee, that not a bad winning percentage at all. Oh, the QB rating is a more attractive stat then winning games. CHAD is simply your idol! Got it! Do you wonder how many dropped passes there were yesterday? Start with the 60 yarder to Cotchary that fell into Cotchary's arms like a rain drop( ray Lucas) and he dropped it! Sure, blame KELLEN for that drop. He should have gone out there and caught his own pass! Unlike you, I'd love to see Kellen play behind a real NFL OL that can open holes for the run as well as pass protect! I'd love to see him with a real speedy receiver that can hold on to long passes that fall from the sky perfectly! I'd love to see Kellen get an OC that develops a game plan that caters to Kellen's arm strength! I know! It is all KELLEN's fault!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quarterback | Senior | Louisville Brian Brohm

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 224 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Mechanically sound...Doesn't have a cannon but arm strength is more than adequate...Has a terrific football IQ and knows how to read a defense...Very smart and doesn't make many bad decisions...Hard worker with great intangibles who loves the game and wants to improve...Gets rid of the ball quickly...Good accuracy, touch and timing...Decent athlete...Moves well in the pocket...Has lots of experience...Very productive at every level...Good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:

Required surgery for a torn ACL in 2005, torn ligaments in his thumb in 2006 and most recently went under the knife to repair his non-throwing shoulder in January of '07...Played in an offensive system that pumped up his numbers and didn't ask him to make a lot of difficult throws...Mobility is very limited and he isn't much of a threat to scramble...Could be more of a vocal leader...May not have a big upside.

Notes:

Was the fourth Brohm to play football for the Cardinals following in the footsteps of his dad, Oscar, and brothers, Greg and Jeff...Brother Jeff is currently Louisville's quarterbacks coach and was an NFL journeyman in the mid and late 1990's ...One of the premier recruits in the nation coming out of high school and took home just about every prep accolade imaginable...Was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the 49th round of the 2004 MLB amateur draft...Would appear to be a prototype franchise quarterback but he has some serious question marks when it comes to durability and the system he played in that cloud his future...A boom or bust type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Comp Att Yds Comp % TD INT

2004 11 66 98 819 67.3% 6 2

2005 10 207 301 2,883 68.8% 19 5

2006 11 199 313 3,049 63.6% 16 5

Totals 32 472 712 6,751 66.3% 41 12

Quarterback | Senior | Kentucky André Woodson

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has prototypical size and a solid frame...Has a very strong arm and can make all the throws...Accurate passer...Good touch and timing...Makes good decisions for the most part and doesn't turn the ball over...Decent athlete who moves well in the pocket and can scramble...Is tough and durable...Will stand tall in the face of pressure...Excellent intangibles in terms of leadership and work ethic...Was very productive the past couple of years...Still improving and has considerable upside.

Weaknesses:

May need to have the mechanics of his delivery refined...Will run hot and cold at times and needs to be more consistent...Can run a bit but won't be mistaken for Michael Vick or Vince Young anytime soon...Played out of the shotgun a lot...Has some issues when it comes to reading coverages...Has too much confidence in his arm strength...Puts too much air under some throws...Needs some development.

Notes:

From a military family which led to him moving around a lot when he was younger including stops in Germany and Hawaii...Was almost benched as a junior before turning his career around and starting to fulfill that vast potential...The TD / INT ratio from his junior and senior seasons was fantastic...Has all the physical tools you look for in a pro signal caller but isn't a finished product by any stretch of the imagination...Has the highest ceiling of any quarterback prospect in this draft but also has a big basement as well...May reward a team that is willing to be patient.

Career Statistics

2003 DNP - - - - - -

2004 7 54 88 492 61.4% 2 1

2005 11 146 253 1,644 57.7% 6 6

2006 13 264 419 3,515 63.0% 31 7

Totals 31 464 760 5,651 61.1% 39 14

Matt Ryan has a noodle arm, and Brohm is kinda soft. If we take a QB after the 1st (or 2nd) rounds, I am open to that. But not with the 6th overall pick.

Matt Ryan does not have a noodle arm. I dont think we should draft him but he does have a really strong arm. He just doesn't have the WR's to utilize it enough.

We've already got two QBs worthy of starting in this league. In this draft, we really need to build up that offense. I say take a strong defensive lineman with #6, then focus the rest of the draft on O-lineman, some talented receivers, and maybe a QB late in the draft.

There's still lots of talent after the first three rounds. Take a look at the former 4th rounder out of FSU: Leon Washington is beloved here.

We've already got two QBs worthy of starting in this league. In this draft, we really need to build up that offense. I say take a strong defensive lineman with #6, then focus the rest of the draft on O-lineman, some talented receivers, and maybe a QB late in the draft.

There's still lots of talent after the first three rounds. Take a look at the former 4th rounder out of FSU: Leon Washington is beloved here.

I agree with you. BUT what if there is no 3-4 defensive lineman worthy of a pick 6th overall? Then what? And dont tell me trade down. How many trades has the Top 10 seen in the past 3 years? And this draft is void on super blue chip prospects so you cant count on trading down at all.

Brohm is OK but has an average arm and is accurate, at times. He fell like a sack of potatoes this year though. I like WOODSON a lot more! Can you please advise us which QB could win 3 games behind our OL, weak run game as a result of poor OL play and no speed at WR? Can you please tell us that IF Kellen's receivers held on to a few accurate passes into the end zone, he should have won two more. Lets see. That would make him 5 out of 7. Gee, that not a bad winning percentage at all. Oh, the QB rating is a more attractive stat then winning games. CHAD is simply your idol! Got it! Do you wonder how many dropped passes there were yesterday? Start with the 60 yarder to Cotchary that fell into Cotchary's arms like a rain drop( ray Lucas) and he dropped it! Sure, blame KELLEN for that drop. He should have gone out there and caught his own pass! Unlike you, I'd love to see Kellen play behind a real NFL OL that can open holes for the run as well as pass protect! I'd love to see him with a real speedy receiver that can hold on to long passes that fall from the sky perfectly! I'd love to see Kellen get an OC that develops a game plan that caters to Kellen's arm strength! I know! It is all KELLEN's fault!

Quarterback | Senior | Louisville Brian Brohm

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 224 | 40-Time: 4.80

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has good size and a solid frame...Mechanically sound...Doesn't have a cannon but arm strength is more than adequate...Has a terrific football IQ and knows how to read a defense...Very smart and doesn't make many bad decisions...Hard worker with great intangibles who loves the game and wants to improve...Gets rid of the ball quickly...Good accuracy, touch and timing...Decent athlete...Moves well in the pocket...Has lots of experience...Very productive at every level...Good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:

Required surgery for a torn ACL in 2005, torn ligaments in his thumb in 2006 and most recently went under the knife to repair his non-throwing shoulder in January of '07...Played in an offensive system that pumped up his numbers and didn't ask him to make a lot of difficult throws...Mobility is very limited and he isn't much of a threat to scramble...Could be more of a vocal leader...May not have a big upside.

Notes:

Was the fourth Brohm to play football for the Cardinals following in the footsteps of his dad, Oscar, and brothers, Greg and Jeff...Brother Jeff is currently Louisville's quarterbacks coach and was an NFL journeyman in the mid and late 1990's ...One of the premier recruits in the nation coming out of high school and took home just about every prep accolade imaginable...Was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the 49th round of the 2004 MLB amateur draft...Would appear to be a prototype franchise quarterback but he has some serious question marks when it comes to durability and the system he played in that cloud his future...A boom or bust type.

Career Statistics

2004 11 66 98 819 67.3% 6 2

2005 10 207 301 2,883 68.8% 19 5

2006 11 199 313 3,049 63.6% 16 5

Totals 32 472 712 6,751 66.3% 41 12

Quarterback | Senior | Kentucky Andr

I love this term "franchise QB". Like picking a QB with a high pick quarantees a great NFL QB. Rick Mira? Ryan Leaf? Tim Couch? Michael Vick? Eli Manning? Alex Smith? Is anyone all that impressed with Vince Young or Matt Leinhart at this point?

The fact is, picking a QB with a high pick is highly risky. It seems at least half of them fail and they all get big guaranteed money.

The Jets are not going to fix everything in one year. Give Clemens a full year with some better talent. If he still isn't the answer, then look for someone else. With all of the other needs the Jets have, it would be silly to give up on Clemens now.

Honestly, Brohm, Ryan, Woodson, and any other QB would have been late 2nd or 3rd round quality the year Clemens was drafted. None of them are worth the money that high draft picks command for the risk that they bear. If we are to draft any QB this year, it shouldn't be any earlier than the 3rd or 4th round.

I love this term "franchise QB". Like picking a QB with a high pick quarantees a great NFL QB. Rick Mira? Ryan Leaf? Tim Couch? Michael Vick? Eli Manning? Alex Smith? Is anyone all that impressed with Vince Young or Matt Leinhart at this point?

The fact is, picking a QB with a high pick is highly risky. It seems at least half of them fail and they all get big guaranteed money.

The Jets are not going to fix everything in one year. Give Clemens a full year with some better talent. If he still isn't the answer, then look for someone else. With all of the other needs the Jets have, it would be silly to give up on Clemens now.

Is it not worth it to take a chance? I don't think its fair to Jets fans to have to watch Kellen Clemens; a guy with no Youtube highlights(because he sucks) play QB for them...

The guy SUCKS! Have you not seen enough? What makes you think he can play in this leauge.. He is just going to hurt himself..

You cannot convince me that Kellen Clemens is a legit NFL starting QB.. KC is a mid 2nd round pick.. The Jets should have no obligation to him whatsoever..

They gave him a look.. and guess what? HE CAN'T PLAY

You're right about the picking of QB's high in the draft...I don't agree with you that Clemens needs a full year to find out what we have in him. We'll know soon enough and his grade won't be in W's and L's...

Also, more often then not, your SB winning QB's are HOF or potential HOF ...just thought I would throw that in there.

Honestly, Brohm, Ryan, Woodson, and any other QB would have been late 2nd or 3rd round quality the year Clemens was drafted. None of them are worth the money that high draft picks command for the risk that they bear. If we are to draft any QB this year, it shouldn't be any earlier than the 3rd or 4th round.

What I like about each of them is that they don't come from football factory programs.. Just because they don't have the hype, doesn't mean they can't play..

I honestly love Brohm as a prospect

Is it not worth it to take a chance? I don't think its fair to Jets fans to have to watch Kellen Clemens; a guy with no Youtube highlights(because he sucks) play QB for them...

The guy SUCKS! Have you not seen enough? What makes you think he can play in this leauge.. He is just going to hurt himself..

You cannot convince me that Kellen Clemens is a legit NFL starting QB.. KC is a mid 2nd round pick.. The Jets should have no obligation to him whatsoever..

They gave him a look.. and guess what? HE CAN'T PLAY

Can you comprehend logic? I just rattled off all of these guys who have failed and set their teams back years with bloated contracts and sometimes multiple years of waiting for them to develop. Which of the current crop of heroes do you think will be a legit NFL QB? Are you willing to "take a chance" with a huge contract and ignore other needs?

I saw enough potential in Clemens in seven games to give him a year. I have already explained in other posts what I saw. There is no sense in explaining it to people who only understand stats and draft position.

Archived