Report: Ryan to be fired by Oakland, take job with Jets [merged3X]

flgreen

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder if Ryan will just flat out tell him: "Duuuude......DRob is not a nose tackle."

they need to throw him a bone and get him some guys who already know what he's going to implement-that CB with the funny name would be a good place to start

If you get a 2nd corner in here that is anywhere close to Revis in talent and Ryan is the def coordinator they will be able to BLITZ like crazy. That would be fun to watch.

I always liked the Pittsburgh style on defense. Even the old Buddy Ryan stuff. Yeah they get beat deep from time to time. But they make you pay for it more times than not.

I think it was Cimini in one of the chats last summer that said he wouldn't be shocked if Sutton stayed on staff and coached a position again. Even after losing the coordinator position. That is a testament to the kind of person that Sutton is. Very little ego, nice guy.

I would like to see a change at D.C. so I am not sad if he gets let go. Just wanted to point about that he is a high character guy. But the slow starts on defense have to stop.

I believe I read somewhere that the Jets secondary coach has quit to become a DC at (?) Duke.

If you get a 2nd corner in here that is anywhere close to Revis in talent and Ryan is the def coordinator they will be able to BLITZ like crazy. That would be fun to watch.

I always liked the Pittsburgh style on defense. Even the old Buddy Ryan stuff. Yeah they get beat deep from time to time. But they make you pay for it more times than not.

Plus those two corners would be able to cover Moss AND Welker. Right now as long as Dyson is not in the fold, we do not have two corners who can shut those two guys completely down. If Dyson comes back next year it will just be that much better.

I believe I read somewhere that the Jets secondary coach has quit to become a DC at (?) Duke.

Yes. So right now they are down a secondary coach and a Special Teams coach. Westhoff's surgery will put him out of action for 2008. We are going to do a front page recap of the changes shortly.

It would be interesting, and fun to see that kind of D here, but with all the needs the Jets have right now, front 7, OL and WR, i just don't see them paying

Nhandi Asomugha the kind of money he will be looking for.

Never can tell, but they better have a new RT and LG when the season opens.

It would be interesting, and fun to see that kind of D here, but with all the needs the Jets have right now, front 7, OL and WR, i just don't see them paying

Nhandi Asomugha the kind of money he will be looking for.

Never can tell, but they better have a new RT and LG when the season opens.

It should not be that hard to find avg RT and LGs. Yeah finding great ones might be tough, but look around the league. Other teams seem to replace players every year. I just don't see finding avg OL that difficult of a task considering teams like the Colts, Chargers, and Patriots seem to find people every year.

With DBrick and Mangold already starting and being avg or better, it shouldn't be that hard to find a couple of other avg OL. It would be nice to find all pro OL, but at this point, Kendall like players would improve this OL. If they can't find players like Kendall in trades, FA, or the draft, than this regime is just stupid.

It should not be that hard to find avg RT and LGs. Yeah finding great ones might be tough, but look around the league. Other teams seem to replace players every year. I just don't see finding avg OL that difficult of a task considering teams like the Colts, Chargers, and Patriots seem to find people every year.

With DBrick and Mangold already starting and being avg or better, it shouldn't be that hard to find a couple of other avg OL. It would be nice to find all pro OL, but at this point, Kendall like players would improve this OL. If they can't find players like Kendall in trades, FA, or the draft, than this regime is just stupid.

I hope the Jets will bring in at least one top flight player at one of the two OL positions the Jets desperately need,

Hopefully they can build a dominating OL over the nest two years. They can get away with one of the OL they bring in ,just being a sure upgrade, but one of them I would like to see as an impact player.

Of the three "BIG' draft stars I saw play today, switching back and fore, McFadden, C. Long, and J Long the only one that really impressed me was Jake Long. From what I saw had a great game.

Of course I was switching back and forth, so I may have missed either good plays by McFadden, and C Long, or bad plays by Jake Long, but from what I saw, if Longs there at 6 I take him.

If this is true and Rob Ryan is now the Jets Defensive Coordinator than this can only mean good things for this team. The defense will not play half the season like a CFL team and the other have like a notch below the 85 Bears. Solid pick-up if this is all true.

Baby Schott is fine. Fix the line and call me in the morning.

I agree. However, it goes further than the line. While the line is abysmal the team's offensive concept was limited first by Chad's inability to make alot of basic NFL throws and then by Clemens' inexperience. Plus, the rise of Clemens coincided with the fall of Coles. And the other guys dont catch so well, as it turns out. Last week alone Cotch cost Clemens something like 75 yards in drops. McCairens, anyone?

Would Rob Ryan be better than what we've seen the second half of the season? Who knows. He isn't Buddy Ryan so far. I think the biggest problem on this team is offense. As bad as the defense was at times this season, the Jets could never score. With Chad or KC, it really didn't matter. When your offense can only score 13 points, I doubt it matters if your defense is good. Losing 14-13 isn't exactly improving.

It might be a good move, but like I said, this is one of the worst offenses in the NFL and even if they bring in another OL or two, who scores on this team? It sure seems like Washington is consistently in Mangini' offensive dog house, so you can't say he will.

Would Rob Ryan be better than what we've seen the second half of the season? Who knows. He isn't Buddy Ryan so far. I think the biggest problem on this team is offense. As bad as the defense was at times this season, the Jets could never score. With Chad or KC, it really didn't matter. When your offense can only score 13 points, I doubt it matters if your defense is good. Losing 14-13 isn't exactly improving.

It might be a good move, but like I said, this is one of the worst offenses in the NFL and even if they bring in another OL or two, who scores on this team? It sure seems like Washington is consistently in Mangini' offensive dog house, so you can't say he will.

Its true the offense was a bigger problem than the defense. But the defense certainly could be improved. And perhaps Ryan represents someone who can evaluate NFL talent which will help in FA, this FO's weakest link (IMO). While the Jets have drafted well in the last two years the FA pickups have been subpar to say the least.

Its true the offense was a bigger problem than the defense. But the defense certainly could be improved. And perhaps Ryan represents someone who can evaluate NFL talent which will help in FA, this FO's weakest link (IMO). While the Jets have drafted well in the last two years the FA pickups have been subpar to say the least.

They've drafted well in the first round, but after that, they haven't done too well. And I agree Ryan should improve this defense, but who knows. It wasn't like the Raiders were a great team even with a good defense. So would we become the Raiders? A team with a good defense but a bad offense who can't win?

And if Coles is gone, who does KC throw to?

They've drafted well in the first round, but after that, they haven't done too well. And I agree Ryan should improve this defense, but who knows. It wasn't like the Raiders were a great team even with a good defense. So would we become the Raiders? A team with a good defense but a bad offense who can't win?

And if Coles is gone, who does KC throw to?

What does the Raiders offense have to do with the Jets hiring Ryan as DC?

Re Coles, I think he will have diminished capacity for the rest of his NFL career, whether or not its with the Jets.

What does the Raiders offense have to do with the Jets hiring Ryan as DC?

Re Coles, I think he will have diminished capacity for the rest of his NFL career, whether or not its with the Jets.

The major problem with this team is offense. So if Ryan suddenly turns the Jets into a top 10 defensive team but the offense still stinks, it doesn't exactly make the team that much better. It wasn't like the Jets defense sucked the last half of this season or even last season. So as bad as this defense has looked at times, it's the offense that has sucked the past two seasons.

And Ryan was the DC of the Raiders. A team who had a decent enough defense, but a horrible offense. AKA a team that never won many games. So if Ryan comes in, makes the defense better, but Schotty and this offense stays the same, it really won't matter much.

If the Jets were giving up 30 points a game I'd say this would drastically improve the team. But at this point, the offense can't score more than 10 points, so even a top 10 defense isn't winning with this offense.

While I think Sutton could have done a better job, the reason the defense stunk was the line. We have zero pass rush, and no nose tackle. Not to mention Vilma hasnt played well in 2 years. I think this draft we really need to focus on the D line, and maybe a linebacker that fits the scheme.

The D played much beter the second half of the year. A good part of that was Harris, and Rhodes starting to play ball the way he can.

It also looked like Mangini was calling the D plays at the end of the season

i think the last 5 games they were #1 or 2 against the pass

Thats also cause teams didnt really need to pass that often against us though. Our run D was THAT pathetic.

To be fair our run D greaty improved with Harris in the middle. It was pitiful with Vilma at MLB though.

Yeah, it went from giving up 6 ypc to only 3.4 I believe I saw somewhere. Still not impressive.

Yet, that problem can be resolved with our 1st 2 picks in the draft, Gholston and Frank Okam. Now if we can just sign Randall Gay, we would be looking good.

As much as I would love to get a new DC, I can't help but notice the Raiders finished 31st in the league against the run this year. How much of this can be blamed on personnel or on Ryan I don't know, but at this point any upgrade over Sutton will work.

Nnamdi Asomugha is a top 5 corner in this league. I went back and watched the last couple games he played in and the guy is a force. He gives up maybe 1 or 2 passes a game. Tall, physical, fast, and has incredible awareness. I wouldn't mind giving him Nate Clements money honestly, he is that good.

As much as I would love to get a new DC, I can't help but notice the Raiders finished 31st in the league against the run this year. How much of this can be blamed on personnel or on Ryan I don't know, but at this point any upgrade over Sutton will work.

I was thinking the same thing why are we picking a defensive coach who`s was one of the few teams in the league that finished below our present defense ,it`s things like this that leave me shaking my head and actually help me understand why this org. hasn`t won a Superbowl in 40 years

Thats also cause teams didnt really need to pass that often against us though. Our run D was THAT pathetic.

That's only partly true.

The run D went below 3.5 YPC, which isn't great, but isn't pathetic either.

Teams didn't bang up big leads against us that they could just rely against their running games.

The D did improve a great deal. It was to late, but it did improve. a lot.

Rob Ryan is a very good DC, and maybe the D will be good from day one if he is DC. The fall in the Raiders D, is partly because of "Crazy Al's" involvement in it, and also the reason Ryan will probably be fired.

If Ryan comes here. the defense will have an attitude, that is a good thing

Yeah, it went from giving up 6 ypc to only 3.4 I believe I saw somewhere. Still not impressive.

Yet, that problem can be resolved with our 1st 2 picks in the draft, Gholston and Frank Okam. Now if we can just sign Randall Gay, we would be looking good.

First two picks on D in '08? After the first two picks being on D in '07? Not sure that's such a good idea. I'm not a huge Okam fan for this team anyway, but in order to win games we have to score more points than the other team. The offense was worse than the defense.

Archived