Our position is set...here's a new Mock

Untouchable

Trades

LB Jonathan Vilma to Denver for their 2008 3rd round pick

QB Chad Pennington to Kansas City for their 2008 4th round pick

Free Agent Signings

OLB Terrell Suggs

The Jets will have the money to target atleast one high profile free agent. It might as well be Suggs. A 25 year old elite passrusher who would be an ideal fit at 3-4 OLB.

OG Jacob Bell

Jacob has really elevated his game with the Titans this year and looks to be a stud up-and-coming OG. Well rounded both as a run blocker and pass protector. A younger, cheaper alternative to Alan Faneca.

CB Randall Gay

Revis looks to be a stud CB for years to come but we still have a gaping hole on the opposite side. The Jets were interested in Gay before the season started and he has past ties with Mangini. A very solid #2 option.

QB Josh McCown

With Chad being traded to KC, the Jets will need to find a suitable option to give Clemens a little competition in training camp. McCown has a big arm and the standard build of an NFL QB. A very solid backup.

RB T.J. Duckett

Duckett would be the ideal guy to be our goaline/short yardage back. Another guy who the Jets have shown previous interest in and would come at a very cheap price. 6'0 260 and was a monster in the redzone when he played for Atlanta.

Re-Signings

FS Kerry Rhodes (extension)

Cuts

WR Justin McCareins

CB David Barrett

LB Eric Barton

LB Matt Chatham

OG Adrien Clarke

Mock Draft (5 Rounds)

1st round: OLB Vernon Gholston - Ohio State

2nd round: WR Limas Sweed - Texas

3rd round: DE Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina

3rd round: OT Mike McGlynn - Pittsburgh

4th round: ILB Ben Moffitt - South Florida

4th round: CB Wilrey Fontenot - Arizona

5th round: OG Kerry Brown - Appalachian State

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

WR Limas Sweed

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Jacob Bell

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Mike McGlynn

DE Shaun Ellis/Kentwan Balmer

NT Sione Pouha

DE Kenyon Coleman/Kentwan Balmer

OLB Terrell Suggs

ILB David Harris

ILB Brad Kassell/Ben Moffitt

OLB Vernon Gholston

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Randall Gay

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we trade Vilma away and cut Barton we would have to pick Lauranitis at 6 not Gholston especially if we sign Suggs. Theres no way we can start a combination of Kassel and Moffit next to Harris.

Why?

If we add Suggs and Gholston to the starting LB corps, I think we can get by with Kassel playing next to Harris atleast until Moffitt develops.

Why?

If we add Suggs and Gholston to the starting LB corps, I think we can get by with Kassel playing next to Harris atleast until Moffitt develops.

Teams would easily be able to run up through Kassel and just keep running over us in that direction. Its not like we have a good D-Line to slow the runner down. Also I think taking Gholston is a bad idea anyway especially if we sign Suggs. Lauranitis is a much safer pick while Gholston has never even played at OLB so who knows how well he would do. Its too risky to take him sixth overall with that much guaranteed money when theres a huge possibility of him being a bust at OLB.

No offense IJ but I'd be pretty pissed with this team. We'd be headed towards another 4 win season.

A) Brad Kassell starting inside? (points finger in throat in effort to puke)

B) Brandon Moore and a rookie RT not named Long. Absolutely not! We'll continue to get ours *sses handed to us on the right side.

C) Our D-line needs help. Pouha is not going to cut it and what's DeWayne going to to do. Sit on the sidelines and scratch his ass with his $12 million?

D) Randall Gay, is not the Patriot CB we want. If we're going to upgrade that spot it better be with Samuel or Asomugha.

Positives:

The linebackers would be a force, although there must be a better option at filling that other ILB spot.

The WR's would be nice but then again, chances are higher that Coles will not be a Jet and Sweed has an injury history.

Overall I really don't see how this would be a much improved team.

Nice job!

I don't like signing Suggs and drafting Gholston in the same offseason. I would rather just draft Gholston as I think he is more versatile. I don't see the Suggs signing happening as I see us going after a CB like Samuel or Asomugha, singing a OL like Gross, a WR like Berrian then drafting LB's, Guards and other stuff.

Trades

Couldn't disagree with this more. If Vilma was only going to bring back a 3rd rounder, let him rehab and play him alongside Harris on the inside. That is what I want to do anyhow.

If Pennington is only bringing back a 4th rounder bring him back as a backup. They won't get a better backup than Chad.

Couldn't disagree with this more. If Vilma was only going to bring back a 3rd rounder, let him rehab and play him alongside Harris on the inside. That is what I want to do anyhow.

If Pennington is only bringing back a 4th rounder bring him back as a backup. They won't get a better backup than Chad.

I agree with both of those statements Max-Vilma should get us a late 1st and Chad no worse than a 2nd-no way I let Pennington go for anything like a 3rd or 4th rounder

Again my dream scenario is Vilma for Chad Johnson and the deal to KC that Max talked about for Chad and Coles

Agree with these comments.

Both Vilma and Chad were drafted in the first round teens if I remember correctly.

They've both done pretty well at times and can still play in the right circumstances.

If they're gonna go we need more than a 3rd and 4th for them

I agree completely Max. I didn't even add those points into my post. There could be a bit of a bidding war between Denver and Cincy where we should be able to fetch a 2nd from one of them pending Vilma's health.

I really would love to work that Chad/Coles deal. Even if it's the 2 of them straight up for their first or for their 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Trades

Free Agent Signings

OLB Terrell Suggs

The Jets will have the money to target atleast one high profile free agent. It might as well be Suggs. A 25 year old elite passrusher who would be an ideal fit at 3-4 OLB.

OG Jacob Bell

Jacob has really elevated his game with the Titans this year and looks to be a stud up-and-coming OG. Well rounded both as a run blocker and pass protector. A younger, cheaper alternative to Alan Faneca.

CB Randall Gay

Revis looks to be a stud CB for years to come but we still have a gaping hole on the opposite side. The Jets were interested in Gay before the season started and he has past ties with Mangini. A very solid #2 option.

QB Josh McCown

With Chad being traded to KC, the Jets will need to find a suitable option to give Clemens a little competition in training camp. McCown has a big arm and the standard build of an NFL QB. A very solid backup.

RB T.J. Duckett

Duckett would be the ideal guy to be our goaline/short yardage back. Another guy who the Jets have shown previous interest in and would come at a very cheap price. 6'0 260 and was a monster in the redzone when he played for Atlanta.

Re-Signings

FS Kerry Rhodes (extension)

Cuts

WR Justin McCareins

CB David Barrett

LB Eric Barton

LB Matt Chatham

OG Adrien Clarke

Mock Draft (5 Rounds)

1st round: OLB Vernon Gholston - Ohio State

2nd round: WR Limas Sweed - Texas

3rd round: DE Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina

3rd round: OT Mike McGlynn - Pittsburgh

4th round: ILB Ben Moffitt - South Florida

4th round: CB Wilrey Fontenot - Arizona

5th round: OG Kerry Brown - Appalachian State

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

WR Limas Sweed

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Jacob Bell

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Mike McGlynn

DE Shaun Ellis/Kentwan Balmer

NT Sione Pouha

DE Kenyon Coleman/Kentwan Balmer

OLB Terrell Suggs

ILB David Harris

ILB Brad Kassell/Ben Moffitt

OLB Vernon Gholston

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Randall Gay

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

Nice job!

I don't like signing Suggs and drafting Gholston in the same offseason. I would rather just draft Gholston as I think he is more versatile. I don't see the Suggs signing happening as I see us going after a CB like Samuel or Asomugha, singing a OL like Gross, a WR like Berrian then drafting LB's, Guards and other stuff.

Okay first off, if we get anything later than an early 2nd rounder for Vilma I would be LIVID. He's going through the same thing Ray Lewis went through when the Ravens were lacking an actual NT to fit the 3-4 scheme. It's Mangini's fault that he wanted to implement this 3-4 and didn't get a NT to put in the middle of the Dline which is KEY to any 3-4 defense.

I wouldn't mind having any of those FA's you listed, BUT if we were to by some miracle sign Suggs b/c he will get franchised I don't think they'll draft Gholston. Instead I would honestly just draft the BAP. Teams goals in the offseason are to fill any holes via Free Agency that way come draft time they could just pick the BAP. Nice mock though.

I would take a high third round pick for Vilma if someone was there that the Jets coveted (and they had taken Laurinaitis in the first round). Penny is worth much more than a fourth round pick. He is a clear starter on half a dozen teams who have virtually no alternative at QB.

The thing about Vilma is that his contract expires at the same time as Rhodes.' The Jets will not franchise Vilma. He is worth much more to a 4-3 team. But for the knee injury they'd have gotten a second for him. As it is they will be happy to get a third for him.

Vilma is too small to play in a 3-4, Mangini is not going to change to a 4-3.

Simple as that, he needs to go and has good enough value in a 4-3 IMO to merit getting a high pick for him.

Vilma is not too small to play inside in the 3-4 scheme with a true NT.Harris may play outside with Vilma inside the other 2 LBs WHO will they be?

Mangini will not trade Vilma for a nobody draft pick.This team needs some depth with experience.2008 draft picks arent gonna be the entire starting team.

Vilma is too small to play in a 3-4, Mangini is not going to change to a 4-3.

Simple as that, he needs to go and has good enough value in a 4-3 IMO to merit getting a high pick for him.

Rob Ryan ran a 4-3 in Oakland and still utilizes the 46 defense like his father and brother-who knows maybe Mangini will listen to him and go back to the 4-3 if Ryan can convince him we don't HAVE the players to properly run a 3-4

Vilma is not too small to play inside in the 3-4 scheme with a true NT.Harris may play outside with Vilma inside the other 2 LBs WHO will they be?

Mangini will not trade Vilma for a nobody draft pick.This team needs some depth with experience.2008 draft picks arent gonna be the entire starting team.

That just shows that you don't have a lot of knowledge about the 3-4 system. Vilma IS traditionally too small, and he's shown his lack of size the last two years, getting bulldozed by guards. David Harris is NOT an OLB but is the perfect ILB for the 3-4. The Jets will be a much better team in '08 with Laurinaitis and Harris in the middle than they would with Harris and Vilma. Vilma has had two years to adapt to the 3-4 now, and clearly has shown that he's not going to do that.

That just shows that you don't have a lot of knowledge about the 3-4 system. Vilma IS traditionally too small, and he's shown his lack of size the last two years, getting bulldozed by guards. David Harris is NOT an OLB but is the perfect ILB for the 3-4. The Jets will be a much better team in '08 with Laurinaitis and Harris in the middle than they would with Harris and Vilma. Vilma has had two years to adapt to the 3-4 now, and clearly has shown that he's not going to do that.

And neither does Mangini as we ran the 3-4 all year without the proper players in place.

Vilma was bulldozed because of the lack of size on the defensive line and the absence of a decent NT.Harris can play either ILB or OLB you are correct he is a perfect ILB.Mangini is not gonna make a mistake and let Vilma go for nothing he could be a serviceable ILB or OLB and is already under contract.

This team has so many other glaring needs besides LB.How about a pass rushing defensive end,or a true NT.Football games are won in the trenches.

Who knows. Many people thought Vilma was going to be good to great when he first started. What happens next year if Harris takes a step back? Do people start saying he's not very good. I mean Vilma might not be that great, but he once was thought to be on his way to becoming at least a very good player. We are hearing the same things about Harris at this point. Who knows what kind of player he will be, but it seems people are assuming Harris will be great just like many assumed Vilma would be a few years back. Maybe Herm nor Mangini just don't know how to develop young players. All I know is Mangold and DBrick looked far better last season than they did this season.

And neither does Mangini as we ran the 3-4 all year without the proper players in place.

Vilma was bulldozed because of the lack of size on the defensive line and the absence of a decent NT.Harris can play either ILB or OLB you are correct he is a perfect ILB.Mangini is not gonna make a mistake and let Vilma go for nothing he could be a serviceable ILB or OLB and is already under contract.

This team has so many other glaring needs besides LB.How about a pass rushing defensive end,or a true NT.Football games are won in the trenches.

The fact is that Vilma has shown he hasn't been able to adapt to the defense, and that Harris came in to take his spot in the middle of the year and completely dominated the same position, without a true NT or other help. He had the exact same parts as Vilma has had the last two years and did 58373 times better. Also your comparison of Vilma to Ray Lewis doesn't have a lot of merit as Lewis has a good 20 pounds on Vilma.

How many excuses will Vilma fans make for the guy?

You always hear that Vilma's troubles are because of the D-line.

Really? You mean the same D-line a rookie 2nd round pick has managed to have a pro-bowl caliber season behind?

Vilma's problems are he's too weak and small to play in this scheme. That's where it is. It's as simple as that.

It's no different than when Parcells traded Hugh Douglas after his DROY season because he didn't fit the 3-4 scheme.

When I watch Harris play, I see a guy with a killer insinct and the keen ability to shed blockers. He attacks the ballcarrier and holds his own.

When I watch Vilma in this scheme, I see a player who constanty gets engulfed by opposing O-linemen and looks totally out of place.

Are the Ray Lewis comparisons still being thrown around? Are some of you guys actually comparing a guy who has one very good season under his belt to a guy who will be a HOFer and ultimately known as one of the Top 5 players at his position all-time?

Please.

What is the use in bringing Vilma back, him having another lackluster season, then departing when free agency hits while we get nothing in return?

The kid is coming off a season ending knee injury and has been out of place for the past 2 years. You're not going to get a 1st or 2nd round pick in return for him.

Really? You mean the same D-line a rookie 2nd round pick has managed to have a pro-bowl caliber season behind?

Vilma's problems are he's too weak and small to play in this scheme. That's where it is. It's as simple as that.

It's no different than when Parcells traded Hugh Douglas after his DROY season because he didn't fit the 3-4 scheme.

When I watch Harris play, I see a guy with a killer insinct and the keen ability to shed blockers. He attacks the ballcarrier and holds his own.

When I watch Vilma in this scheme, I see a player who constanty gets engulfed by opposing O-linemen and looks totally out of place.

Are the Ray Lewis comparisons still being thrown around? Are some of you guys actually comparing a guy who has one very good season under his belt to a guy who will be a HOFer and ultimately known as one of the Top 5 players at his position all-time?

Please.

What is the use in bringing Vilma back, him having another lackluster season, then departing when free agency hits while we get nothing in return?

The kid is coming off a season ending knee injury and has been out of place for the past 2 years. You're not going to get a 1st or 2nd round pick in return for him.

Um Harris didn't make the pro bowl so he didn't have a pro bowl season. He isn't close to being rookie of the year. He played well, but dominant is stretching the facts. Vilma has been a disappointment over the past few seasons. Call it what it is, but the reality is, Harris had half a good season, nothing more. Calling the guy a dominant defensive player is stretching the truth.

Um Harris didn't make the pro bowl so he didn't have a pro bowl season. He isn't close to being rookie of the year. He played well, but dominant is stretching the facts. Vilma has been a disappointment over the past few seasons. Call it what it is, but the reality is, Harris had half a good season, nothing more. Calling the guy a dominant defensive player is stretching the truth.

126 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 FF's, 1 FR

Harris managed to put up those numbers despite not starting until week 8. I'd say that's pro-bowl caliber play.

David Harris has given me no reason whatsoever to believe he won't continue to mature into his role and elevate his game to an even further level.

Meanwhile, we've seen what Vilma can do in the very same sheme, behind the very same D-line, with the very same surrounding cast of players.

The difference in production between Vilma and Harris is as big as the Grand Canyon.

Harris has managed to make atleast one jaw dropping play in every game I've seen him play this year. I haven't seen one from Vilma since his rookie season.

Please.

I pretty much agree with this, but at some point it will not be worth trading him. An '08 third I might take. Anything less and I don't see the purpose. If Vilma stays he is in no danger of being cut. In fact in accordance with this mock he'd pretty much 100% be a starting ILB. He doesn't cost much and is a starting caliber if flawed ILB even in this scheme. There is a pretty good chance one of these guys goes down and they like a rotation anyway. Sure Vilma has only one year left, but I'd much rather see him at ILB than Kassell. Sure you pencil the guy with pick you got in the trade in at RT, but I'm not so confident in a 3rd round pick starting at RT or a 4th round pick at ILB. I might prefer to take my chances with Vilma and Clement at that point.

Vilma cannot shed blocks, when a guard gets on him he is out of the play. Sure he could play better if he had a good NT but even so he is still to small, a 3-4 LB needs to be able to take on the interior lineman and force his way to the ballcarrier consistently. Vilma can not do that.

126 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 FF's, 1 FR

Harris managed to put up those numbers despite not starting until week 8. I'd say that's pro-bowl caliber play.

David Harris has given me no reason whatsoever to believe he won't continue to mature into his role and elevate his game to an even further level.

Meanwhile, we've seen what Vilma can do in the very same sheme, behind the very same D-line, with the very same surrounding cast of players.

The difference in production between Vilma and Harris is as big as the Grand Canyon.

Harris has managed to make atleast one jaw dropping play in every game I've seen him play this year. I haven't seen one from Vilma since his rookie season.

In 2004, Vilma was named as the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press. During his rookie campaign, he recorded 108 tackles, two sacks, and three interceptions, including one which was returned for his first NFL touchdown.

2005 season

In 2005, Vilma led the NFL in tackles with 173, forced four fumbles, notched one fumble recovery, half a sack, and one interception. Vilma also replaced Zach Thomas at the 2006 Pro Bowl.

2006 season

In 2006, Vilma put together another solid season. He compiled 114 tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and one interception.

I'd say you claiming Harris is a great player to be is kind of lame considering besides 2007, Vilma actually had 3 very good seasons. Say what you want about the guy, Harris has had 8 good games, Vilma had 3 good seasons, won the rookie of the year, made a pro bowl, and then had one bad season. So if you say Vilma sucks cause of this year, it's kind of lame to say Harris is great after 8 games.

Like I said, people said the same thing about Vilma at one point. Who knows what will happen.

I pretty much agree with this, but at some point it will not be worth trading him. An '08 third I might take. Anything less and I don't see the purpose. If Vilma stays he is in no danger of being cut. In fact in accordance with this mock he'd pretty much 100% be a starting ILB. He doesn't cost much and is a starting caliber if flawed ILB even in this scheme. There is a pretty good chance one of these guys goes down and they like a rotation anyway. Sure Vilma has only one year left, but I'd much rather see him at ILB than Kassell. Sure you pencil the guy with pick you got in the trade in at RT, but I'm not so confident in a 3rd round pick starting at RT or a 4th round pick at ILB. I might prefer to take my chances with Vilma and Clement at that point.

Take your chances Clement???

That's not a chance, that's just certain failure. He better not be starting next year under any circumstances. I'd rather take a chance on an unknown guy than have him here next season.

Personally I think we will get higher than a 3rd for Vilma, I could even see us getting a 1st TBH. There are a lot of teams with desolated LB cores that would love to have Vilma.

Archived