Our position is set...here's a new Mock

Untouchable

Same thing can be said about drafting an OL with the 4th pick. Oh wait, they already did that. So who is to say they won't again.

I had no problem doing that two years ago, it was extremely neccesary then. Now with two first rounders already on the line its not as good an idea especially since the only OL worth the 6 pick is a LT that we already spent the 4 on.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Vilma has looked bad in the 3-4, but who knows if they moved him outside or wherever if he couldn't improve. And maybe he hates the Jets, Mangini and the 3-4 at this point and will walk after next year. All I know is the Jets seem to be standing still. One of their best defensive players in 2004-2006 is dumped for a 4th rounder is the reason why the Jets never win.

He might walk and he might not be good in the 3-4, but the reality is, good teams find ways to replace players and utilize players strengths, they don't dump their better players for 4th round picks. Heck the Patriots used Troy Brown on defense. Other teams use Defensive Lineman as receivers. While the Jets dump Kendall, Fabini, and might dump Vilma, Coles, and Pennignton and wind up with 4th round picks.

At least they got a first round pick for Abe.

FACT: Vilma is not a 3-4 ILB.

FACT: Vilma is not a 3-4 OLB.

FACT: Vilma is not a lineman.

FACT: Vilma does not fit in the 3-4 defense, the scheme the Jets currently run.

How are people not getting this? He is a huge liability for our defense and trading him for a 2nd-3rd round draft pick while drafting Laurinaitis might strengthen two positions on our team and it will at least strengthen one.

LOL at using defensive linemen as WRs by the way. What does that have to do with anything about Vilma? Just because a few linemen in the league may be able to catch a pass doesn't mean we should force Vilma into a situation in which he doesn't belong.

Back to Eric Barton hes terrible.Vilma is 100% better.

Stats dont lie. 47 solo tackles in 2007?

Recent Career Tackles Sacks Interceptions Misc

Year Team G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty

2005 NY Jets 4 13 8 21 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0

2006 NY Jets 16 72 28 100 4.5 36 0 0 0 0 1 2 0

2007 NY Jets 16 47 26 73 2.0 14 1 1 0 0 0 2 0

Career Totals (Full) 120 469 169 638 18.5 113 4 13 0 0 6 17 0

I'd honestly prefer Barton to Vilma in a 3-4. That's not saying much about Barton though.

FACT: Vilma is not a 3-4 ILB.

FACT: Vilma is not a 3-4 OLB.

FACT: Vilma is not a lineman.

FACT: Vilma does not fit in the 3-4 defense, the scheme the Jets currently run.

How are people not getting this? He is a huge liability for our defense and trading him for a 2nd-3rd round draft pick while drafting Laurinaitis might strengthen two positions on our team and it will at least strengthen one.

LOL at using defensive linemen as WRs by the way. What does that have to do with anything about Vilma? Just because a few linemen in the league may be able to catch a pass doesn't mean we should force Vilma into a situation in which he doesn't belong.

Talking about grasping at straws. What team is going to give the Jets a 2nd round pick for Vilma? If Vilma sucks like people proclaim and since he was injured, a 4th round pick is most likely the scenario, not a 2nd round pick.

As far as WR playing defensive back and so on, some teams find ways to utilize players. The Jets find ways to dump Abe, Kendall, and maybe Vilma, Coles, and Pennington then claim to be an improved 4-12 team. The Colts found a way to go 13-3 with a team who lost many defensive players to free agency, a team who lost their best defensive player to injury, half their OL to injury or retirement, and their HOF WR to injury. Go figure it sounds stupid to think the Jets need to dump half their players just to dump them.

Talking about grasping at straws. What team is going to give the Jets a 2nd round pick for Vilma? If Vilma sucks like people proclaim and since he was injured, a 4th round pick is most likely the scenario, not a 2nd round pick.

Vilma can play, just not in a 3-4 defence. What about that can you not understand??

Vilma can play, just not in a 3-4 defence. What about that can you not understand??

What about trading a player just to dump him can't you comprehend? Dumping Vilma just to get rid of him does not improve the team.

Like I said, how does dumping Vilma for a 4th round pick improve the team?

Heck, how did dumping Kendall just to dump him improve the team?

Oh yeah, it didn't. If the Jets find a way to bring in another contributing player for Vilma, kind of like they did with the Abe trade, I'd agree with you. But if the only thing they do is dump Vilma to dump him cause he'll be gone next year anyway, doesn't mean they are improving. It just means this regime has no clue how to improve the team.

ANd don't give me the bull about the players they've brought in. They were 4-12 in 2005 with rag tag players and coaches. They were 4-12 in 2007 with few injuries and all these better players people claim they brought in. And while Vilma isn't that impressive in the 3-4, last time I checked, Vilma and the Jets defense went 10-6 last year, not 4-12. So while Harris and Revis both look great, they still played on a team that went 4-12 who couldn't stop the run, rarely pressured the QB, and for the most part, couldn't get off the field when they had to. The defense improved over the second half of this season, but the same thing happened last year without Revis and Harris. Improving doesn't mean doing the same thing with different players.

What about trading a player just to dump him can't you comprehend? Dumping Vilma just to get rid of him does not improve the team.

Oh yeah, it didn't. If the Jets find a way to bring in another contributing player for Vilma, kind of like they did with the Abe trade, I'd agree with you. But if the only thing they do is dump Vilma to dump him cause he'll be gone next year anyway, doesn't mean they are improving. It just means this regime has no clue how to improve the team.

ANd don't give me the bull about the players they've brought in. They were 4-12 in 2005 with rag tag players and coaches. They were 4-12 in 2007 with few injuries and all these better players people claim they brought in. And while Vilma isn't that impressive in the 3-4, last time I checked, Vilma and the Jets defense went 10-6 last year, not 4-12. So while Harris and Revis both look great, they still played on a team that went 4-12 who couldn't stop the run, rarely pressured the QB, and for the most part, couldn't get off the field when they had to. The defense improved over the second half of this season, but the same thing happened last year without Revis and Harris. Improving doesn't mean doing the same thing with different players.

What don't you understand about the fact that keeping a player for one year after which he will leave and do nothing for us isn't helping?

What don't you understand about the fact that keeping a player for one year after which he will leave and do nothing for us isn't helping?

So I guess you'll be saying the same thing about Revis in a few years too. That's called a team who never wins cause they never replace their players.

So I guess you'll be saying the same thing about Revis in a few years too. That's called a team who never wins cause they never replace their players.

That is nowhere near this situation. Vilma doesn't want to be in this defense and has stated that and he is frustrated by it. He clearly will leave whenever his contract runs out and hes not good in the 3-4 so theres no reason to re-sign him. Revis doesn't hate our defense and he is still very good I want him here till he retires.

That is nowhere near this situation. Vilma doesn't want to be in this defense and has stated that and he is frustrated by it. He clearly will leave whenever his contract runs out and hes not good in the 3-4 so theres no reason to re-sign him. Revis doesn't hate our defense and he is still very good I want him here till he retires.

Yeah for now, but in a few seasons, he can opt out of his contract and go to another team. People seem to be condemning Coles for demanding more Money, i'm sure the same posters would condemn Revis. And the Jets FO and coaching staff sure doesn't seem to like those players wanting more money or complaining. And Revis already held out before he ever put on a Jets uniform.

I have no problem with the Jets dumping Vilma. What I have a problem with is teams like the Colts and Patriots and a few seasons back the Eagles seem to dump players because they replace those players with younger talent. And a lot of times that new younger talent is just as good as or better than the dumped talent.

The Jets have not shown they know how to replace players.

The OL still sucks. The DL still sucks. The offense sucks and the Defense still has problems stopping the run and pass. They still have no replacement for Chad and all the hope sits on KC, who may or may not be a legit NFL starter. We still don't know yet.

Abe hasn't been replaced. Kendall hasn't. Curtis Martin hasn't. Chad Pennington was supposed to be replaced by Patrick Ramsey or KC. The problem is KC hasn't been any better than Chad.

I have no problem with getting rid of players if they find ways to improve the team. But a team who goes 4-12 two seasons into a regime and still has the same holes they had before year one, is not improving.

And dumping Vilma just to dump him falls into the trap of same old stupid Jets who seem to have no clue how to improve a team.

I think my sig implies exactly who I want to replace Vilma.:roll::confused0058:

I think my sig implies exactly who I want to replace Vilma.:roll::confused0058:

That would be an attempt at improving the team. And If they get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Vilma, it would be something to look into. But if they draft a guy like Jake Long or another OL, and get a 4th rounder for Vilma, that's being the same old stupid Jets.

I hope you are right and they get a good draft pick for Vilma and bring in the kid from OSU. But the problem is, Vilma was good in the 4-3, why go 3-4 if you don't have the players and going into season 3, you still might not have the players for that scheme.

As far as WR playing defensive back and so on, some teams find ways to utilize players. The Jets find ways to dump Abe, Kendall, and maybe Vilma, Coles, and Pennington then claim to be an improved 4-12 team.

If I remember correctly, we'd be centerless if we didnt dump abe.

If I remember correctly, we'd be centerless if we didnt dump abe.

Seems Kevin is still starting in the NFL. So while I like Mangold, it seems this team replaced a lot of decent starters instead of really improving the team. And I liked the Abe trade. Mangold was a great pickup. The problem is, 2 seasons later, they still haven't replaced Abe.

If all you do is build through the draft and then dump those players as soon as they ask for more money, you start to become the 49ers, Lions, Cardinals, and so on. Not exactly something to look forward to. This is the 2nd time in three years the Jets have finished 4-12. I wouldn't call that improving no matter how many decent players they drafted.

All I know about crable is that he gets to the ballcarrier, he looks like a very good LB regardless of what his personality implies.

I agree with you that Vilma has more value than a 3rd. I could see Cincy givong up a 1st for LB like JV, it would make sense for them to do it.

Why do you guys continue to over value our players that you want to get rid of? We have no idea what kind of player Vilma will be coming back from injury.

Trades

LB Jonathan Vilma to Denver for their 2008 3rd round pick

QB Chad Pennington to Kansas City for their 2008 4th round pick

Free Agent Signings

OLB Terrell Suggs

The Jets will have the money to target atleast one high profile free agent. It might as well be Suggs. A 25 year old elite passrusher who would be an ideal fit at 3-4 OLB.

OG Jacob Bell

Jacob has really elevated his game with the Titans this year and looks to be a stud up-and-coming OG. Well rounded both as a run blocker and pass protector. A younger, cheaper alternative to Alan Faneca.

CB Randall Gay

Revis looks to be a stud CB for years to come but we still have a gaping hole on the opposite side. The Jets were interested in Gay before the season started and he has past ties with Mangini. A very solid #2 option.

QB Josh McCown

With Chad being traded to KC, the Jets will need to find a suitable option to give Clemens a little competition in training camp. McCown has a big arm and the standard build of an NFL QB. A very solid backup.

RB T.J. Duckett

Duckett would be the ideal guy to be our goaline/short yardage back. Another guy who the Jets have shown previous interest in and would come at a very cheap price. 6'0 260 and was a monster in the redzone when he played for Atlanta.

Re-Signings

FS Kerry Rhodes (extension)

Cuts

WR Justin McCareins

CB David Barrett

LB Eric Barton

LB Matt Chatham

OG Adrien Clarke

Mock Draft (5 Rounds)

1st round: OLB Vernon Gholston - Ohio State

2nd round: WR Limas Sweed - Texas

3rd round: DE Kentwan Balmer - North Carolina

3rd round: OT Mike McGlynn - Pittsburgh

4th round: ILB Ben Moffitt - South Florida

4th round: CB Wilrey Fontenot - Arizona

5th round: OG Kerry Brown - Appalachian State

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

WR Limas Sweed

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Jacob Bell

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Mike McGlynn

DE Shaun Ellis/Kentwan Balmer

NT Sione Pouha

DE Kenyon Coleman/Kentwan Balmer

OLB Terrell Suggs

ILB David Harris

ILB Brad Kassell/Ben Moffitt

OLB Vernon Gholston

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Randall Gay

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

I think Gay and McCown will definately be players we go after, and same for Rhodes, who we will resign. Suggs im pretty sure we wont get and Bell would be nice. Duckett is a power back but really isnt worth it, we already have 2 starting RB's on our roster, we really dont need a 3rd.

As for the draft, we will almost definately look LB or OL in rd 1. Either Gholston or Laurinitis should be available as well as some good OG's and OT's.

After that, I definately see us going after Frank Okam (NT) from UTexas in rds 2/3 and then a WR.

Once again, the offseason will be more exciting then the regular season.

From NFl Espn Insider - Draft him at second round If you were Jets

Roy Schuening

OG | (6'3", 315, 5.35) | OREGON STATE

Scouts Grade: 83

Strengths: Takes sound angles to blocks and generally gets into good position when drive blocking. Tough and works from the snap to the whistle. Big enough to engulf undersized defenders and can wear defenders down over the course of a game. Footwork is sound when combo blocking defensive lineman up to a linebacker and flashes the ability to get into position at the second level. Shows adequate range for size and flashes the ability to pull effectively. Gets adequate knee bend in pass set and holds ground against bull rushers. Doesn't have an explosive first step but is efficient and gets into pass set quickly. Keeps head up and shows good awareness in pass protection.

Weaknesses: Doesn't get great hand placement, frequently fails to extend arms once in position and struggles to sustain blocks. Fails to deliver a violent initial punch, doesn't roll hips upon contact and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Plays too high at times and could struggle to drive two-gap defenders off the ball at the NFL level. Plays with a narrow base, struggles to adjust to the moving target in space and can lose balance. Can't change directions quickly and struggles to adjust to double moves.

Overall: Schuening arrived at Oregon State in 2003. During the next three seasons (2004-'06) he started 37 consecutive games. Schuening lacks ideal athleticism and explosiveness but he is a relentless drive blocker who can hold his own in pass protection.

Archived