Laurinaitis or Gholston

gsnts725

Who would you rather like to see drafted?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who would you rather like to see drafted?

• Vernon Gholston
    • James Laurinaitis
    • Neither

One of the most common comparisons I see with Gholston is comparing him to Abraham. Abraham, in his prime under Donnie, sucked when he was asked to play some OLB. Absolutely sucked. We had to scrap our 3-4 looks because Abraham was such an ill fit in it.

Now this was a guy who was a star at the NFL level.

I just think the move to full-time OLB is being over-simplified. We also lined up Ellis a little bit at OLB & it worked out well. Is there anyone who really believes this 285-lb man who runs a 4.9 would flourish as a full-time OLB?

I'm saying it's a leap of faith. I'd rather take that leap of faith with a lower pick. #6 overall is time to get a sure thing. This isn't a 3rd-down play call. It's a decision being made at a desk. Lead with your head, not with your balls when drafting.

Tell me -- what are we to do if he is a liability in coverage & when a RB has space to make serious moves? What do we do with this player we gave a $16M signing bonus to? Switch the whole team to a 4-3 to justify a draft pick?

Thats why they have the combines/prodays. They'll be able to see if he is able or unable in the hips to turn and run in coverage, agility drills, etc etc. If he's athletic enough, like a Kamerion Wimbley, they'll be able to say "all he needs is alittle coaching up", and they'd be able to take him knowing he could play 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

As for Abraham, didnt he play 3-4 OLB his rookie year, and do a damn good job? Sure, he looked lost as a 3-4 OLB, but that was 4 years later under Donnie, after playing many seasons as a 4-3 DE in the NFL, which is a different game than 3-4 OLB. Expecting him to switch from being a 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB when he is 27, probably wasnt realistic because by then he's engraved as a 4-3 DE, and an elite one at that.

I'm just saying. I'm not saying Gholston is definitely our man.

I honestly loathe the position we are in.

I hate taking Linebackers top 10 picks also.

Having to take a player because he is at #6, does not necessarily mean that he is pick worthy of that spot. And the cost of the pick makes it a do or die situation.

I pray that the Jets just have options at the pick, and that there is someone that somebody else wants to gamble with. Six is not attractive.

I honestly loathe the position we are in.

I hate taking Linebackers top 10 picks also.

Having to take a player because he is at #6, does not necessarily mean that he is pick worthy of that spot. And the cost of the pick makes it a do or die situation.

I pray that the Jets just have options at the pick, and that there is someone that somebody else wants to gamble with. Six is not attractive.

i like the sixth pick, the glamour picks have generally past by, and we can concentrate on getting a very solid player. Had we had this pick last year, we could have landed a guy like Carriker, who would have been great at the DE spot. He doesn't get a tone of sacks, or even tackles, but he would be great at consuming blockers.

If you're worried about overpaying, i think that goes for any spot in the draft. I hope we keep the pick, even though i generally like the idea of trading down, this should be a spot where we get a solid starter.

I disagree.

Ive watched a lot of both of them (Im an OSU fan), and I think Gholsten will be much more of an impact for us than Laurinitis.

Ive always felt that Laurinitis benefited more from having a great DL in front of him, (Gholsten, Haywood, Pit****, Richardson) LB crew around him, (Hawk, Schlegal, Carpenter, Grant) and DB's behind him (Malcom Jenkins, Nate Salley, Donte Whitner) then he is a real impact player for that team. He's good, but he's more of a role player than a real difference maker.

I like Gholston a lot more as he has a knack for constantly getting into the backfield and disrupting plays, if not ending them altogether. Thats the player the Jets need more IMO.

:rl::rl: It edited out part of the guys name. :rl:

Well said

Archived