Clemens...."Lidocaine and B-12"......

NIGHT STALKER

ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 3, 2008, 4:51 PM ET

Roger Clemens says he was injected with "Lidocaine and B-12" and not steroids or human growth hormone by former trainer Brian McNamee, according to a portion of an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" released Thursday.

"Lidocaine and B-12. It's for my joints, and B-12 I still take today," Clemens told Mike Wallace in the interview, which is scheduled to be shown Sunday night. It is Clemens' first interview since the release of the Mitchell report in December.

In the report, McNamee claims to have injected Clemens with steroids in 1998, 2000 and 2001. He said he injected the seven-time Cy Young winner with HGH in 2000, according to the report.

According to CBS, Clemens calls the accusation that he used steroids and HGH "ridiculous" and says he "never" used any banned substances. The interview was conducted last Friday.

Wallace ask Clemens if he swears he didn't used banned substances. "Swear," Clemens responds.

On Thursday, The New York Times reported that a lawyer for McNamee said he wouuld sue Clemens if he accuses McNamee of lying in the interview.

"He's got a chance to protect himself," Richard D. Emery, a New York-based lawyer who specializes in libel and defamation actions, told The Times. "We're not going to sue him if he doesn't do it. But if he does it, we're going to sue him."

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, told The Times his client has nothing to hide.

"I believe a client who's telling the truth should tell the world the truth," he said. Of Clemens' "60 Minutes" appearance, Hardin said, "I think [Clemens] expressed himself very emotionally, and it'll give the viewer a chance to look at Roger and make up their mind."

On Thursday, Hardin added: "In his interview with 60 Minutes Roger told the truth. It is that simple. I encourage Mr. McNamee to watch the program."

Shortly after the Mitchell report's release, Clemens issued denials both through Hardin and in a video posted on his Web site.

"Let me be clear, the answer is no. I did not use steroids or human growth hormone, and I've never done so," Clemens said in the video. "I did not provide Brian McNamee with any drugs to inject into my body. Brian McNamee did not inject steroids or human growth hormones into my body."

McNamee's lawyer, Ed Ward, said in December that "[McNamee] stands 100 percent behind the accuracy of the information he provided to Sen. Mitchell."

Shortly after the report was released, Hardin said: "... I am extremely upset that Roger's name was in this report based on the allegations of a troubled and unreliable witness who only came up with names after being threatened with possible prison time."

Also on Thursday, the New York Daily News reported that Hank Steinbrenner, the New York Yankees' senior vice president, said Clemens will not be back in pinstripes.

"I'm not signing Clemens," Steinbrenner told the Daily News in a telephone interview.

Steinbrenner said the team has Andy Pettitte, who is also mentioned in the Mitchell report and who has admitted using performance enhancing drugs, signed for one season.

"Andy is [signed] for one year and he's only 35 and he knows how to pitch in the big games," Steinbrenner said, according to the Daily News. "Roger does, too, but let's face it, he's going to be 46 [in August].

"Pettitte is just as good with the young pitchers, though Clemens was great with the young kids last year. I don't think Roger is going to come back anyway."

This guy's a moron if he expects anyone to be dumb enough to believe this, and i don't know about this from personal experience, but if he's getting injections for knee joints and such, wouldn't you inject that stuff into the knee and not the buttocks??? What a jack@ass!!!

This guy's a moron if he expects anyone to be dumb enough to believe this, and i don't know about this from personal experience, but if he's getting injections for knee joints and such, wouldn't you inject that stuff into the knee and not the buttocks??? What a jack@ass!!!

Maybe he likes taking it in the butt...I'll give way to Thor or Smizzy on this one.

Why take any injection including HGH or roids in the butt when thats not the area you are looking to build up?

Why take any injection including HGH or roids in the butt when thats not the area you are looking to build up?

Steroids just need to be injected into the body to work....Lidocaine need to be injected into the sore area to relieve pain. You can't just shoot it in your ass and expect it to work on your knee. It's a numbing agent....his entire ass and thigh would be numb.

Roger is just burying his legacy.

Steroids just need to be injected into the body to work....Lidocaine need to be injected into the sore area to relieve pain. You can't just shoot it in your ass and expect it to work on your knee. It's a numbing agent....his entire ass and thigh would be numb.

It's typically used in dentistry to numb your mouth, not really pain relief. This isn't going to fly. He's digging himself a hole.

I know what Lidocaine is, I had injections of it when I got stitches. B-12 can be injected anywhere for it to work.

Right. Because it says explicitly in the article that he was injected IN THE BUTT with B-12, Lidocaine, etc. Nice job getting this whole thread riled up for nothing. You really think he would be that dumb to tell the American public something that wouldn't even work?

Holy **** this guy is nuts. My fiancee is a dental hygenist. Injecting Lidocaine into your ass cheek can cause a serious infection and even kill the muscle/skin in that area. As far as the B12, when I take a vitamin, I pop a pill, not inject it into my bunghole. This guy is digging himself a hole so deep, he has no idea where it's taking him.

Holy **** this guy is nuts. My fiancee is a dental hygenist. Injecting Lidocaine into your ass cheek can cause a serious infection and even kill the muscle/skin in that area. As far as the B12, when I take a vitamin, I pop a pill, not inject it into my bunghole. This guy is digging himself a hole so deep, he has no idea where it's taking him.

I wonder if he'll dig so deep he'll hit China? :P

Getting an infection is a result of not using sterile tecnique and has nothing to do with where it's injected. In order to "kill the muscle/skin" he would have to inject an ungodly amount of the stuff and it would have to contain epinephrine. However, using epi with a lidocaine injection on it's own makes absolutely zero sense. Epi is used when you're cutting people open to reduce bleeding, not for a simple shot.

Injecting lidocaine in to your ass cheek would make your ass cheek numb and that's about it. Athletes inject themselves with the stuff regularly to mask/play through pain.

All that being said, I think Roger is full of it.

Clemens is going to bury whatever is left of his legacy.

This is plain and simple. If someone slanders your name or makes accusations like this that can cause finanicial damage you sue their ass for every dime they are worth. You DO NOT go on 60 Minutes and try to spin doctor it.

Idiot.

People: Roger Clemens didn't say he was injected with B-12 and such in the butt. He's not as dumb as you think he is.

I think it's implied, along with the information from the Mitchell report, besides it was stated that the substance was given to Mcnamee from Clemens himself. How's he going to explain that one???

People: Roger Clemens didn't say he was injected with B-12 and such in the butt. He's not as dumb as you think he is.

Why wouldn't the normal Yankee doc's and trainers handle the injections if it was ONLY B-12? Yes he is stupid.....This is as bad as "I thought the broken bat was the ball" statement he made in the 2000 WS.

Why wouldn't the normal Yankee doc's and trainers handle the injections if it was ONLY B-12? Yes he is stupid.....This is as bad as "I thought the broken bat was the ball" statement he made in the 2000 WS.

Uh, maybe because it's Clemens' personal ****ing trainer? He probably felt more comfortable with someone he knows and trusts injecting **** he knows nothing about into his body.

Uh, maybe because it's Clemens' personal ****ing trainer? He probably felt more comfortable with someone he knows and trusts injecting **** he knows nothing about into his body.

Is it common practice to have a "trainer" inject substances into your body instead of having trained medical personnel do so. Sounds reasonable. I was under the impression that personal trainers work with you on your workout regimen and such.

Some comments supposedly attributed to Leyritz from the Daily News:

His playing days were over, but the celebrity Leyritz gained from hitting that magical 1996 homer helped him get gigs as a sports commentator for ESPN Radio, MLB Radio and MLB.com.

In the years after his retirement, he dealt with a messy divorce from his second wife, Karrie, and bragged to friends about the excessive drug and steroid use that went on in the Yankees clubhouse during the 1990s.

"He told me the amount of steroids and drugs in the locker room - stuff was being used on a daily basis," a friend told The News. "He said,

Are you freaking kidding me? We're talking about B12 shots according to Clemens. Every TEAM trainer in MLB is qualified to give that shot. When Clemens gets his flu shots does he call McNamee?

Homer.

Some comments supposedly attributed to Leyritz from the Daily News:

His playing days were over, but the celebrity Leyritz gained from hitting that magical 1996 homer helped him get gigs as a sports commentator for ESPN Radio, MLB Radio and MLB.com.

In the years after his retirement, he dealt with a messy divorce from his second wife, Karrie, and bragged to friends about the excessive drug and steroid use that went on in the Yankees clubhouse during the 1990s.

"He told me the amount of steroids and drugs in the locker room - stuff was being used on a daily basis," a friend told The News. "He said,

It's not his word "post" the recent accident.....it's like I said supposedly something he told a friend in the past. You never thought Andrew would be doing HGH now did ya?

pettite you mean?

i did after he was falsy reported to be on the jason grimsley affadavit

dont know if i buy the "twice only" story either...

He really said very little, just a general denial. And added in a bunch of stuff about trainers giving him Vioxx and other painkillers.If Macnamee's lawyers were looiking to sue, he gave them very little.Clemens was lying through his teeth, but the idea that we need a federal investigation to deal with this is a bigger joke than Clemens being truthful.

I believe Clemens and give him the benefit of the doubt until i see proof otherwise. I believe he deserves that much. MacNamee obviously had a side motive to out Clemens, and that was to stay out of jail. He gives them a big fish, and stands by his story till the end, he gets out of a sentence. The entire thing stinks from the beginning, I wish they deemed the era, The Steroids Era, and moved on.

Too much he said, he said. Bottom line, Clemens has an amazing career over 14 years, not gonna let some deuche trying to stay out of jail ruin that body of work.

Something else comes out, then so be it, proving your innocence in a matter such as this, is damn near impossible.

I believe Clemens and give him the benefit of the doubt until i see proof otherwise. I believe he deserves that much. MacNamee obviously had a side motive to out Clemens, and that was to stay out of jail. He gives them a big fish, and stands by his story till the end, he gets out of a sentence. The entire thing stinks from the beginning, I wish they deemed the era, The Steroids Era, and moved on.

Too much he said, he said. Bottom line, Clemens has an amazing career over 14 years, not gonna let some deuche trying to stay out of jail ruin that body of work.

Something else comes out, then so be it, proving your innocence in a matter such as this, is damn near impossible.

Clemens said he was "shocked" Petitte juiced. He's the one who introduced McNamee to Pettite. Enough said.

I find it hard to believe that Clemens didn't know Andy took HGH. Really hard to believe.

Clemens is lying.

Yup right through his teeth !! Did you catch his 60 minutes interview ? :rl: Mike Wallace flat out asked him if he's take a polygraph. His response? "What's that gonna prove? " :rl:

Yup right through his teeth !! Did you catch his 60 minutes interview ? :rl: Mike Wallace flat out asked him if he's take a polygraph. His response? "What's that gonna prove? " :rl:

lol well polygraph's can be incorrect at times

but still roger couldve said something better

Archived