It's Closing Time - Year End Podcast

Maxman

Year End Podcast

Posted at 9:45 pm in Gregg Hayim, Podcasts by Max

podcasts.gifWell Jets fans it is closing time and Gregg Hayim is back with one last podcast for the season. A look back at the win over the Chiefs to top off a 4 and 12 season.

Would the Jets have been better off if they lost the last game and had the 3rd pick in the draft? Gregg discusses that and more

Thanks for doing the podcasts this year Gregg. I enjoyed your perspective.

So after your first year of covering the team what are your thoughts? Was the job what you expected it to be? (Gregg covered the Jets for Jets Confidential).

Year End Podcast

Posted at 9:45 pm in Gregg Hayim, Podcasts by Max

podcasts.gifWell Jets fans it is closing time and Gregg Hayim is back with one last podcast for the season. A look back at the win over the Chiefs to top off a 4 and 12 season.

Would the Jets have been better off if they lost the last game and had the 3rd pick in the draft? Gregg discusses that and more…

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 6th, 2008 at 9:45 pm and is listed under Gregg Hayim, Podcasts.

Well you can all kiss his butt if you want to..but when you think you should lose to get a better draft pick and then says Pennington is the best QB on the team...your a Clown...where did Gregg Hayim play ?

Well you can all kiss his butt if you want to..but when you think you should lose to get a better draft pick and then says Pennington is the best QB on the team...your a Clown...where did Gregg Hayim play ?

Miami U I believe.

I agree though -- I NEVER root for the Jets to lose. EVER. I would rather have the 6th pick than Mangini having a L on his record in matchups with Herm.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you guys enjoyed them...

In response to the statement above, and I preface my thoughts by stressing the fact that I do not wish to engage in an online war of words, I find this sort of thing to be a waste of time. I do not mind you reffering to me as a clown as you are entitled to your opinion...However, two points...

1) I never said the team should lose the game. What I said was that a win would do more harm than good toward the organization's long term goals. Which, by winning, is precisely what happened. The difference b/w 3-13 and 4-12 means little aside from the chance at selecting at the top end of a relatively thin draft class....a thin group that happens to contain a rare RB talent.

2) When you say that Chad Pennington is not the best qb on this team, what tangible evidence is this statement based on? The bottom line, however you want to dilute it, is that CP fits every criteria needed to win this argument when compared to every other qb on the roster. I am assuming, that you believe Kellen Clemens is the better player...with that in mind, given the ample sample we have seen from him, what lends you to believe this is the case? Is it his grasp of the offense, the ability to read a defense, his pocket presence? Or is it simply a combination of arm strength and draft position? Please dont get me wrong, I understand Kellen is a young player and he deserves more of a chance than he got (and his o-line didnt help him out much), but my point is, Chad has been a very profficient player in this league for a long time, and I can direct you to a laundry list of of qb's with rifle arms that failed to succeed at the pro level. Dont let the fact that he was a 2nd round pick and has garnered a large following blind you from the truth that the evidence thus far suggests...

all the best,

Gregg

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you guys enjoyed them...

In response to the statement above, and I preface my thoughts by stressing the fact that I do not wish to engage in an online war of words, I find this sort of thing to be a waste of time. I do not mind you reffering to me as a clown as you are entitled to your opinion...However, two points...

1) I never said the team should lose the game. What I said was that a win would do more harm than good toward the organization's long term goals. Which, by winning, is precisely what happened. The difference b/w 3-13 and 4-12 means little aside from the chance at selecting at the top end of a relatively thin draft class....a thin group that happens to contain a rare RB talent.

2) When you say that Chad Pennington is not the best qb on this team, what tangible evidence is this statement based on? The bottom line, however you want to dilute it, is that CP fits every criteria needed to win this argument when compared to every other qb on the roster. I am assuming, that you believe Kellen Clemens is the better player...with that in mind, given the ample sample we have seen from him, what lends you to believe this is the case? Is it his grasp of the offense, the ability to read a defense, his pocket presence? Or is it simply a combination of arm strength and draft position? Please dont get me wrong, I understand Kellen is a young player and he deserves more of a chance than he got (and his o-line didnt help him out much), but my point is, Chad has been a very profficient player in this league for a long time, and I can direct you to a laundry list of of qb's with rifle arms that failed to succeed at the pro level. Dont let the fact that he was a 2nd round pick and has garnered a large following blind you from the truth that the evidence thus far suggests...

all the best,

Gregg

The jury is still out on KC....again he is only in his 2nd year....you can not expect a player to light up the world in the NFL....and with our line.... it would really be lame to throw him out that quick. Pennington is an 8 year vet...he is does not have and where to go as far as up ....Clemens has upside..Pennington is all he will ever be. If he stays our QB...we are all we will ever be until he leaves. We keep him because of his large cap figure...not his talent. To let him go we would still take a monster hit. Around $6,000,000 I understand. If it is larger..more reason.. if it is less..what is it please ?

I also agree a war of words is a waste of time....

Shodann, I think your missing my point a bit...I AM NOT suggesting Kellen be run out of town, much to the contrary. I believe nothing can be sufficiently proved in just a handful of games, in a down year. However, based on what we have seen, to say that Kellen Clemens gives the team "the best chance to win" is just foolish. No, Chad is not an elite, Manning, Brady type QB. But he is certainly better than most, and finding an upper echelon signal caller is a task that is easier said than done. Obviously the ideal situation would be to find a guy with the big arm who also can digest the mental aspects of the game. But this is a rare hybrid, and if given the choice, the smarter, safer qb tends to be more succesul....my point is that we, the fans, tend to put too much stock and hype in draft order. If the draft has proven anything its that the whole process is an in-excact science, remind me again where Brady was chosen? Fortunately the Jets dont have to much financial commitment in Clemens and in no way should they, or we, feel overly commited to him....Sure, I hope he pans out and I believe he posses the physical tools to do so. But do you want me to blow smoke and say that he has been anything short of unimpressive? I just cant do that....

Archived