-My new web site... I need opinions/reviews-

J-E-T-S

Hey guys, I just launched a new web site and I really need your guys opinions/reviews before I start advertising.

Here is the site: http://www.mysnowday.com

What is the site about:

MySnowDay.com is a new web site where you can track weather that may cause delays, cancellations, or school closings. To check on your school, hit the my school tab above. In the my school section you will have detailed weather reports updated often, information/notification if a delay or cancellation happens (txt msg availabe), and predictions from our wether experts.

Criticism is appreciated.

Thanks alot guys!

Hey guys, I just launched a new web site and I really need your guys opinions/reviews before I start advertising.

What is the site about:

MySnowDay.com is a new web site where you can track weather that may cause delays, cancellations, or school closings. To check on your school, hit the my school tab above. In the my school section you will have detailed weather reports updated often, information/notification if a delay or cancellation happens (txt msg availabe), and predictions from our wether experts.

Thanks alot guys!

It is a good idea. I would get away from the weather report as the main focus and instead focus on the school closing/delay info. Right now it really looks like the main focus is on weather forcasts, and at the end of the day you are not going to replace weather.com when people go to the internet looking for a weather forecast.

Also, this is a very web 2.0 kinda idea you have, but your site does not express that with its design. Google web 2.0 design and you will see what i mean, nice borderless elements, rounded edge sans sarif fonts, font reflections, that kind of thing. Make it scream new and cool.

If you want to provide weather, work on your scripts and feeds, and it would be a nice touch to have the site pick up where the viewer is coming from geographically from their ip and have the weather and area schools for them show up on the home page.

Also, didn't look if you already have this, but a way to set up a page for a household for all schools attened in the house would be good for families. Also a good way to collect user information for advertising etc to monatize the site.

The icons you use for your weather forecasts are kind of dated looking too, make find some good vector art weather icons, i am sure you can get them relatively cheap from a stock photo site.

Your big problem is that this site is seasonal, and if there is no weather causing delays than your site is dead. You have to figure out a way to get some community school boards on board. I would be a great idea that would be free to the school board to help get the word out about closings, maybe pitch some of the schools up north that get a lot of weather, make some desk calandars and give them out to school office people, just a way to keep your site in there mind.

It is one of those ideas that you sit there and think, "wait why didn't i think of that."

good luck

What is the site about:

Thanks alot guys!

pretty cool, i agree with joe. you could also have links to stuff for kids to do when they're home from school and they have time to kill. tie in advertisers that way.

don't tv stations(and their websites) already do this? Not to mention that the site would be almost dead from spring to early winter. This just sounds like a dumb idea for a site.

some people think two dimensionally, its ok, you are not alone.

btw, he did ask for opinions on his site, not his idea.

I coded the script/designed it with a guy I work with often on online projects. I am 16

awesome, i had a feeling you were a kid. Dude, you are on the right path, you will be able to make a lot of cash through college and after by having these skills, keep working on getting better, good for you!

Archived