BP

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody would take away a car and sell it just because they found alcohol underneat the seat of the car. Obviously this kid had some kind of a past with alcohol or else she wouldn't have done this. At least thats what I like to believe because I can't and don't want to think about a parent like that if this was a one time occurance. Sometimes parents do things that are a bit too extreme.

Nobody would take away a car and sell it just because they found alcohol underneat the seat of the car. Obviously this kid had some kind of a past with alcohol or else she wouldn't have done this. At least thats what I like to believe because I can't and don't want to think about a parent like that if this was a one time occurance. Sometimes parents do things that are a bit too extreme.

How is it 'obvious' that this kid had a past with alcohol? This may be the first occurrence and the mom took drastic measures to teach a lesson. I don't know that I'd like to have had this happened to me as a teen, but if I was a parent I just might have done something similar and just as extreme.

In this particular case, the kid is fine and thankful to his mom. He's a good friggin' kid who made a bad judgment call and he lived. What if the parent was too liberal and let it slide and then dies in a DUI?

I'm just saying all sides need to be considered, not just the teens' independence and rights.

How is it 'obvious' that this kid had a past with alcohol? This may be the first occurrence and the mom took drastic measures to teach a lesson. I don't know that I'd like to to have happened to me as a teen, but if I was a parent I just might have done something similar and just as extreme.

In this particular case, the kid is fine and thankful to his mom. He's a good friggin' kid who made a bad judgment call and he lived. What if the parent was too liberal and let it slide and then dies in a DUI?

I'm just saying all sides need to be considered, not just the teens' independence and rights.

Which is parent talk for:

My way or the highway. Or.. He with the gold rules. Or... as long as your live under this roof yada yada yada.

Spare me the whole both sides have to be considered! Hog wash! It is never that way. Never a fair trial.

Which is parent talk for:

My way or the highway. Or.. He with the gold rules. Or... as long as your live under this roof yada yada yada.

Spare me the whole both sides have to be considered! Hog wash! It is never that way. Never a fair trial.

WRONG.... this is a classic case of following the rules set prior to an agreement or pay the consequences.

whether you think its extreme or not doesn't matter. they had an agreement of no alchohal in the car or you lose you're right to own it. this is a simple case of good parenting.

the real problems occur when parents move the discipline goalposts by not following thru on threats

Nothin wrong with her selling the car. She bought the thing. She didn't have to go be a c-unit and publicly humiliate the kid.

Right. I'm sure the kid was a 4.0 scholar, sings in the church choir, and donates countless hours at area retirement homes too. That nasty B word just wanted to make sure he stayed 100% on the straight and narrow.

Word has it the kid attended a lot of tailgate parties, so there was a preponderance of evidence.

WRONG.... this is a classic case of following the rules set prior to an agreement or pay the consequences.

whether you think its extreme or not doesn't matter. they had an agreement of no alchohal in the car or you lose you're right to own it. this is a simple case of good parenting.

the real problems occur when parents move the discipline goalposts by not following thru on threats

POTW nom. Does that exist anymore?!

The more I think about this, she was doing well by selling the car but didn't need to show her a$$ like that with all the other BS in the listing. She could have just sold it and told her son why. Seems more like a publicity stunt than a punishment now.

The more I think about this, she was doing well by selling the car but didn't need to show her a$$ like that with all the other BS in the listing. She could have just sold it and told her son why. Seems more like a publicity stunt than a punishment now.

Thanks. That's what I said. Careful though --- some might call you 12 for thinking this.

disagree. the kid obviously called his mom a loser with no life for daring to snoop in "his" car. she did the perfect thing to knock junior back down a notch and reassert control. too many kids rule their parents. plus, with narcassicm out of control in the myspace generation, this hits em where he hurts.

disagree. the kid obviously called his mom a loser with no life for daring to snoop in "his" car. she did the perfect thing to knock junior back down a notch and reassert control. too many kids rule their parents. plus, with narcassicm out of control in the myspace generation, this hits em where he hurts.

hold on a sec johnny. You are in the right profession for sure. stop & think for a minute.

re: I hate you... good I'm doin my job.

#1- you gave no ground to dk by even acknowledging that while icecream isn't the main problem, the school attempted to take a step in what they thought was a better direction.

#2 you can't see alk's point? I can. no need to advertise mean mom busted son & booze in the paper. that was not in the agreement. selling the car was enough punishment.

while you're upbringing has served you well & sj should be commended, perhaps the rigidity of it all has left you a little too close minded...........yer pal, dr joewilly

I always felt that the worst form of punishment, and the best way for a parent to get their message accross, was via embarrassment. Truly an effective form of dicipline. Now, I'm not a parent, so I'm probably talking out of my arse, but geez Louise, the kid will get over it.

Some of you will hate this admission, but I have to say from what I've seen and experienced over the past few years, 75% of kids aged 14-22 suck out loud. I suspect that the same was said of my generation back in the day as well. Oh man, I'm coming full circle!!!

I always felt that the worst form of punishment, and the best way for a parent to get their message accross, was via embarrassment. Truly an effective form of dicipline. Now, I'm not a parent, so I'm probably talking out of my arse, but geez Louise, the kid will get over it.

Some of you will hate this admission, but I have to say from what I've seen and experienced over the past few years, 75% of kids aged 14-22 suck out loud.

a bit harsh ya think!!

As much as i love my daughter i am ready for her to go back to college.;)

Kids have too many distractions, internet, video games, rap crap, more prevalent and potent drugs thrown at them, face book nonsense, on line

predators.....

With that said...the one thing in our culture that is missing is RESPECT for parents. Some of the sh1t my kids say, my arse would have been sore for 2 weeks, now a days you cannot hit them and BTW they know it.

a bit harsh ya think!!

Kids have too many distractions, internet, video games, rap crap, more prevalent and potent drugs thrown at them, face book nonsense, on line

predators.....

With that said...the one thing in our culture that is missing is RESPECT for parents. Some of the sh1t my kids say, my arse would have been sore for 2 weeks, now a days you cannot hit them and BTW they know it.

I'm thinking of lowering it...age, that is. My eleven year old niece is a completely spoiled pain in the arse. I love her uncondionally - but my God!

Then I have to deal with the nonsense from my tenants - the "nerdy" Brandeis students. Smart - you would think - with the common sense of a dead possum on interstate 95. Hey, if sleeping 'till 4 in the afternoon every day is your thing - good for you - those habits should serve them real well in real life :rolleyes: .....but after missing trash day for a month straight - do yah think that maybe it would make sense to put it out the night before instead? Oh, I could go on and on about them! April can't get here quick enough.....

And, not for nothing, but is there a reason why there are so many unemployed HS/College kids? What is so bad about working at Dunkin Donuts? Oooooo.....beneath yah, eh? And people want to know why illegal immigration is such a hot topic? Because we need people to work these "beneath me" jobs - hate to be blunt here - but kids these days are freakin' lazy.

a bit harsh ya think!!

predators.....

But you can "hit them" figuratively. And that is what this mother did.

My niece is SO mouthy and disrespectful to my sister.. After one of her "episodes" I suggested that my sis withold the new IPOD Nano Video she was getting for Christmas and my sister's reply was "But I can't do that.. everything I bought her goes with the Nano!!" ](*,)

I'm thinking of lowering it...age, that is. My eleven year old niece is a completely spoiled pain in the arse. I love her uncondionally - but my God!

Then I have to deal with the nonsense from my tenants - the "nerdy" Brandeis students. Smart - you would think - with the common sense of a dead possum on interstate 95. Hey, if sleeping 'till 4 in the afternoon every day is your thing - good for you - those habits should serve them real well in real life :rolleyes: .....but after missing trash day for a month straight - do yah think that maybe it would make sense to put it out the night before instead? Oh, I could go on and on about them! April can't get here quick enough.....

And, not for nothing, but is there a reason why there are so many unemployed HS/College kids? What is so bad about working at Dunkin Donuts? Oooooo.....beneath yah, eh? And people want to know why illegal immigration is such a hot topic? Because we need people to work these "beneath me" jobs - hate to be blunt here - but kids these days are freakin' lazy.

Valid point, actually.

And, not for nothing, but is there a reason why there are so many unemployed HS/College kids? What is so bad about working at Dunkin Donuts? Oooooo.....beneath yah, eh? And people want to know why illegal immigration is such a hot topic? Because we need people to work these "beneath me" jobs - hate to be blunt here - but kids these days a freakin' lazy.

Haha

My daughter refuses to work in service industry like McD's, it is considered

not cool. All i can say is she better get in med school or marry one of these

ultra-rich richmond grads.

Part of the fault rests on Parents, you can take away the cell , but

you are stuck hearing them whining about 4ever and if you do take the car, you are stuck driving them around and hearing them whine about it. Losing

Prop.

Advice to future parents.... make sure your kids do their chores when they are real young like 8 and gradually increase them.

But you can "hit them" figuratively. And that is what this mother did.

My niece is SO mouthy and disrespectful to my sister.. After one of her "episodes" I suggested that my sis withold the new IPOD Nano Video she was getting for Christmas and my sister's reply was "But I can't do that.. everything I bought her goes with the Nano!!" ](*,)

No you can't, you lose the war......This parent is toast!!!

Nowadays Respect is history, if i dropped the F bomb to my parents.... Oh my!!

Some of you will hate this admission, but I have to say from what I've seen and experienced over the past few years, 75% of kids aged 14-22 suck out loud. I suspect that the same was said of my generation back in the day as well. Oh man, I'm coming full circle!!!

But come on Garb. Going on Good Morning America to talk about it? Yeah, there was no agenda. "Look at me!! Look at me!! I'm a good parent and I want everyone to know about it!!" It's your job lady you don't need to publicize it.

But come on Garb. Going on Good Morning America to talk about it? Yeah, there was no agenda. "Look at me!! Look at me!! I'm a good parent and I want everyone to know about it!!" It's your job lady you don't need to publicize it.

Agreed. The initial ad was cool as heck though - but anything beyond that is self-serving. Guess she wants her fifteen minutes plus.....;)

And what is so wrong with "look at me! look at me!" ads? There are several threads here started by folks that subscribe to that "look at me! pay attention to meeeeeeeee" philosophy. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest change since i was a lad has been TV shows

I was brought up with I love Lucy, Brady Bunch, Hogan's Heroes,F Troop,Gilligan...

All wholesome TV,

I remember what a shock it was to see 3's a Company and how over the top it was back then... You watch reruns of those now and you laugh how tame it is and compare it to almost any current show

No you can't, you lose the war......This parent is toast!!!

Nowadays Respect is history, if i dropped the F bomb to my parents.... Oh my!!

Are you speaking of the "mean" mom or my sister? If you are referring to my sister, I agree. She's in for it when her daughter is 17.

Same here. When I was a teenager, I called my dad an ass because he taped a Jets game over one of my concerts (lol) and he chased me down and backhanded me across the jaw. Looking back, I'm not sure that I deserved a fat lip but I learned not to be a mouthy teen. No pun intended.

The biggest change since i was a lad has been TV shows

I was brought up with I love Lucy, Brady Bunch, Hogan's Heroes,F Troop,Gilligan...

All wholesome TV,

I remember what a shock it was to see 3's a Company and how over the top it was back then... You watch reruns of those now and you laugh how tame it is and compare it to almost any current show

I admit to watching trash tv late nites when I'm bored. I love New York Finding Love with Tila Tequila Intervention These shows both amuse me and sometimes enrage me. Check them out. It's disgusting. Obviously, I enjoy watching car wrecks.... LOL!

Are you speaking of the "mean" mom or my sister? If you are referring to my sister, I agree. She's in for it when her daughter is 17.

Same here. When I was a teenager, I called my dad an ass because he taped a Jets game over one of my concerts (lol) and he chased me down and backhanded me across the jaw. Looking back, I'm not sure that I deserved a fat lip but I learned not to be a mouthy teen. No pun intended.

mean mom is toast IMO

your sister is fine...

I tell my daughter all the time... payback is a bitch!!! Have fun with your kids,

i am going to laugh my ass off!!!!

I admit to watching trash tv late nites when I'm bored. I love New York Finding Love with Tila Tequila Intervention These shows both amuse me and sometimes enrage me. Check them out. It's disgusting.

Obviously, I enjoy watching car wrecks.... LOL!

Obviously! You are a member at JN!

I think she is an attention whore and most likely a terrible parent. He said a friend left it in his car and she's basically saying he is a liar and she doesn't believe him. He is probably going to hate her now and just get out on his own as fast as he can. Chances are this will result him in skipping college or any other higher education, because that's pretty much the price you pay to get your independence quicker, unless he can somehow file as an independant for his school loans (usually this is hard to prove if you are under 21/in college, but becomes the default for graduate level). Regardless, there is very little chance that their parent-child relationship will survive if he has even the slightest bit of dignity and intelligence.

I don't want to get into my life story and I'm sure nobody wants to hear it, but I had awful parents myself. All it did was hurt me academically and make me into a very cold-hearted angry person. I got away from them obviously when I was old enough to and had the cash, but I still don't think very much of them. If you're going to be paranoid and unnecessarily punitive, and paint your child as a villain to everyone, just don't be surprised when that starts happening and they also cut you off. This kid is 19, he probably won't be around much longer, and chances are they won't hear from him again afterwards.

I admit to watching trash tv late nites when I'm bored. I love New York Finding Love with Tila Tequila Intervention These shows both amuse me and sometimes enrage me. Check them out. It's disgusting. Obviously, I enjoy watching car wrecks.... LOL!

Late night is 1 thing, but these shows start at 8pm

Can you imagine Lucy Ricardo would say to Ricky "i will take care of your Bonah now"?

Late night is 1 thing, but these shows start at 8pm

Can you imagine Lucy Ricardo would say to Ricky "i will take care of your Bonah now"?

...you just ruined I love Lucy reruns for me. ;)

You know what show I watched and absolutely loved? Cutting edge, thought provoking, without being vulgar? All In The Family. True genius television. TV now is mostly vulgar - except for Lost ;)

Archived