LT Jennings prepared to become free agent---Back round info

Smizzy

LT Jennings prepared to become free agent

By John Wawrow, Associated Press, 3/1/2005 18:24

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) Starting left tackle Jonas Jennings is prepared to become a free agent, convinced there's no chance the Buffalo Bills will re-sign him.

''They definitely had their chance. I wanted to come back,'' Jennings told The Associated Press on Tuesday. ''But I have to go and let my star shine somewhere else.''

Jennings will get that opportunity when the NFL's free-agency period opens Wednesday.

The Bills have until the end of Tuesday to re-sign Jennings, but the player's agent Todd France said there's no chance of that happening.

The Bills declined comment while team president Tom Donahoe was still attending the NFL combine in Indianapolis.

The team stands to lose another starter, defensive tackle Pat Williams, to free agency. Williams' agent Angelo Wright said Tuesday afternoon the Bills had not made any attempt to contact him.

Jennings' pending departure is not considered a surprise.

Donahoe said last week the team might not be able to afford to re-sign Jennings or Williams.

Buffalo's 2001 third-round pick out of Georgia, Jennings is a four-year starter seeking a deal in the range of the $36 million, seven-year contract Indianapolis right tackle Ryan Diem signed last week.

Jennings' stock might go even higher considering there are not expected to be many high-profile left tackles entering free agency.

The only knock against Jennings is that he's somewhat injury prone. He missed 12 games in four seasons, including two last year with a hurt ankle.

Although confident he'll find a new team to play for, Jennings was disappointed the Bills did not attempt to make him an offer.

''They never even contacted us,'' Jennings said. ''I don't know, I heard they were saying we were asking for too much. But it's hard to ask for too much when you don't even talk to them.''

Jennings said he will miss playing for Buffalo, and credited Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally for helping him develop last season.

''It's definitely a sad day because of the friends there,'' Jennings said. ''I've grown up those four years. You learn and appreciate the blue-collar town of Buffalo and the real heart that they have for the football team. ... Tell all the fans I appreciate and love them.''

Finding a replacement for Jennings becomes an offseason priority for Buffalo. Besides having a run-oriented philosophy, the Bills need a line capable of protecting raw quarterback J.P. Losman, who's been named the starter.

Losing Williams, an eight-year veteran and four-year starter, will be a blow to a defense that finished second in the NFL in fewest yards allowed last season. He is an effective run-stuffer and provided Buffalo bulk in the middle, playing alongside Pro Bowl tackle Sam Adams.

He's seeking a deal that will pay him about $5 million a year.

Wright, Williams' agent, is not worried about his client becoming a free agent.

''I don't care. Somebody's going to pay him,'' Wright said. ''I'm not unhappy about anything.''

Wright wondered what plans Donahoe had to improve a team that finished 9-7, missing the playoffs with a season-ending loss to Pittsburgh.

''If Tom's got a plan, he might have a great plan,'' Wright said. ''If he doesn't, it will spell disaster.''

The Bills will only be modestly strapped by the NFL salary cap, projected by several publications to be about $8 million once the new cap comes into effect Wednesday.

They could free up more space by cutting or restructuring the contract of defensive back Pierson Prioleau, who's scheduled to count $1.67 million against the cap next season.

Prioleau provided little detail on his status with Buffalo.

''Not sure at all,'' Prioleau said. ''I think we're going to have to wait and see on that one.''

Archived