Pinewood derby tomorrow. Don't bring no weak stuff!

JerryK

Tomorrow it ends.

Tomorrow ends the tyranny of shame created by last year's mechanical failure. They can talk their talk for 10 more hours...then it ends.

The axles are square to the block.

Graphite liberally applied.

Weight: 5.04 (since the scale reads it as 5)

The Blue Hornet will vanquish all the trash-talking evildoers of Miss Perkins' 2nd grade wolf den!!

..and then we'll have pizza.

Tomorrow it ends.

Tomorrow ends the tyranny of shame created by last year's mechanical failure. They can talk their talk for 10 more hours...then it ends.

The axles are square to the block.

Graphite liberally applied.

Weight: 5.04 (since the scale reads it as 5)

The Blue Hornet will vanquish all the trash-talking evildoers of Miss Perkins' 2nd grade wolf den!!

..and then we'll have pizza.

:headbang: I can't wait, I loved the Pinewood Derby. Took 2nd. place in the state one year. They have an outlaw division here for kids who aren't in boy scouts and adults. I may try to enter this year. You have it set up where only three wheels are touching the track right?

We've had 2 nice3-looking but slow cars. the last 2 years. Plus I managed to slice open my thumb, so I'm doen twith that part of it.

This year, I had my uncle take his ulitmate set of tools carve out the block and sand it, and my son and me are gonna paint it. And his son(my cousin) won all of Staten Island not long ago. Being that's he's from Staten Island and I-talian, he tells me a drop of olive oil on the axle makes it much faster. Though I suspect that violates the rules, since you supposedly can only use pencil graphite on the axle.

No matter.

Google it, and that ain't the half of the cheating and craziness that's going on.

I used to sell PIneCar stuff... what always amazed me the most was these horrible fathers that do all of the work... I figured there would be a lot of help.... but a lot of these guys sent their wife to pick up one of everything and then make an entire car and just show their kid the finished product...

I used to sell PIneCar stuff... what always amazed me the most was these horrible fathers that do all of the work... I figured there would be a lot of help.... but a lot of these guys sent their wife to pick up one of everything and then make an entire car and just show their kid the finished product...

yup...happens MOST of the time,,

when my kids were cub scouts our troop went out of the way to award the non racing prizes to cars we knew kids worked on ,, sloppy work, paint mistakes etc,,man it used to piss the yuppies off ,,,:bwahaharoll:

The kid who won the race last year is an ADD kid who seems to be on a caffeine/sugar high, running amok the whole meeting. he aslo happens to be th assistant pack master's son. Since my son moved up to bears, thnakfully I no longer have to attened. They should give Extra Strength Tylenol to those that still do go. If this kid did anything to his car, he either tried to eat it or threw it at his sister. But dad broke out the serious tools and made a bitchin' set of wheels.

Have to say, i'm really down on the whole Cub Scout thing. My son already has football, then basketball and finally baseball covering the whole school year. And to me, that'd enough. His den leader aslo coaches baseball with me,and is a really good guy, and his sons(he has triplets-2 boys and 1 girl) are my sons's best friends, so that's why he likes to go. But frankly the whole thing seems kinda pointless. These kids pretty much run wild for an hour every Friday,and then they give them a snack, chock full of sugar and caffeine, right before the meeting ends.Kids need this like a hole in the head. Some of the worst-behaved kids are the assistant and and otherh assistant's sons. A neighbor, who's son was "Scout of the Year" 2 years ago finally got tired of it, and was overjoyed when his Scout of the Year son decided to quit to play baseball inside during the fall and winter.

They keep pushing these camping trips. I am confirmed in the belief that unless you joined the armed services(and God bless you if you have), we have evolved that such outdoor accomodations are superflous. It's why God created hotels. Worse, we as parents were called to a big meeting explaining that the supervision was so lax(and it's supposed to be 1 parent to 1 child the whole trip) that 2 Tiger boys were found wandering around the lake. Where, we were further informed, 2 scouts have drowned in the last year. High quality work there.

All I can remember from being a CUb on the trip was invariably getting rained on, and sleepong on rocks. And the dads getting to break out a cooler of beer and grill some steaks. Further informed that alcohol is banned on camp grounds due to insurance considerations. That is freaking insane-out in the middle of nowhere with wet, screaming sugared-up tykes,a nd you cannot even have a beer or 2 to relax. Before you have to sleep on wet rocky ground.

Archived