Would you go O-line at #6?

Untouchable

With Michael Oher declaring, this years crop at OT just got even stronger.

Now my question is, would you be willing to go OT with our pick at #6?

Jake Long and Michael Oher translate as dominant tackles at the next level. Both are Top 5 talents and either could immediately step in and be a drastic upgrade over Anthony Clement.

I know a lot of fans are against drafting another O-lineman in round 1, but it's the weakest unit on our team. Not to mention that either Oher or Long could be the BPA at our spot.

Thoughts?

With Michael Oher declaring, this years crop at OT just got even stronger.

Now my question is, would you be willing to go OT with our pick at #6?

Jake Long and Michael Oher translate as dominant tackles at the next level. Both are Top 5 talents and either could immediately step in and be a drastic upgrade over Anthony Clement.

I know a lot of fans are against drafting another O-lineman in round 1, but it's the weakest unit on our team. Not to mention that either Oher or Long could be the BPA at our spot.

Thoughts?

I'd rather pick up a vet via FA or trade...too many young guys on that O line could mean trouble...the best thing about Kendall when he was here, was he was able to mentor DBrick and especially Mangold. I think the O line missed that type of presence this year.

BPA unless it is a QB, no matter what. We are not deep enough at any position to draft otherwise. I am not sold on KC, but we can't afford to halt that project just yet. All that being said, if the BPA is an OL, I will be ecstatic! So long as said OL pans out, the Jets front would be solid for years! If you have an O-line that can control the LOS, the sky is the limit. When you don't, you go 4-12.

I'd rather pick up a vet via FA or trade...too many young guys on that O line could mean trouble...the best thing about Kendall when he was here, was he was able to mentor DBrick and especially Mangold. I think the O line missed that type of presence this year.

Agreed Kendall domino effect on the entire line was a mistake by this regime to let him go. Also there is not going to be a offensive lineman come into the NFL as a rookie and not have some problems- so do not think a guy will come in and blow everyone away. You would have to have patience with someone.

Both Oher and Long, if one is on the board when we pick, could be the BPA at our selection.

Both are Top 5 material.

i haven't seen OHer rated that high

Long will be picked by RAms

i was not impressed by him during OSU game, small sample size

not sure about him

No. We need to draft more WR's & RB's to justify the pick through sexiness. This way we can all complain in unison when this supposed super-talent has nowhere to run or the QB doesn't have enough time to deliver the ball to him deep.

Only positions I think are absurd at #6:

K

P

FB

OG

TE

KR (lol)

and while we've got lots of holes on the OL or defensive front-7 (like now), I'd include:

FS

SS

When the OL sucks as badly as our Futile Five, you don't get to say that a stellar RT talent isn't worth the #6 pick. Particularly when there's only been 1 player on the current line who hasn't been mostly below average the past 2 seasons.

The reality is that a lot of the kids who are considered premiere talent defenders ("value"-wise) in the draft are 4-3 players. Defensive tackles who run a 4.8 & such. The types that are useless to us. A player who would fit in a 3-4 & has unquestioned top-5/top-10 talent is very rare (Ngata, Seymour, etc) & might SEEM like poor value. If we can't trade down (likely will be difficult at our position), then we should take the best player for this team, who will likely have the greatest impact in the shortest span of time.

My main issue with taking a RT at #6 isn't that it's poor value for the pick. But rather that there seem to be a dozen or more players who can be had much later who would fill the position quite adequately. Given our high picks in round 2 & 3 and the likelihood of acquiring extra good picks from Vilma and/or Chad and/or Coles, it might not be my first choice.

yes. anyone seen what a good line does in new england? a good lineman lasts longer and is an absolute must for anything else to happen.

Ive been replaying the Patriots games on my Tivo.They have 1 hell of an OFFENSIVE LINE.These guys are like clockwork and perfection.Games are won in the trenches fits this team.

A 1st tound pick on an offensive lineman is ok by me if it will help win games.

Absolutely not.

LTs are the only OL position that generally goes in the first TWENTY picks, and we already have one of those (albeit a ****ty one). If you want to go Oline, then trade down, and if you can't find a trading partner, take the BAP.

Absolutely not.

LTs are the only OL position that generally goes in the first TWENTY picks, and we already have one of those (albeit a ****ty one). If you want to go Oline, then trade down, and if you can't find a trading partner, take the BAP.

i think your tampon is a bit sweaty tonight, get it changed out, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't want a linemen with the sixth pick, makes more sense to trade down (even if we don't get full value), or trade the pick outright for a late first this year, and a first next year. It would work better than wasting money on an average player.

I would really like to grab a RT, or LG with the 38th pick, should be a great spot to find an immediate starter.

i think your tampon is a bit sweaty tonight, get it changed out, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't want a linemen with the sixth pick, makes more sense to trade down (even if we don't get full value), or trade the pick outright for a late first this year, and a first next year. It would work better than wasting money on an average player.

I would really like to grab a RT, or LG with the 38th pick, should be a great spot to find an immediate starter.

In this draft I think the second round is too soon to pick a LG or RT. There will be some solid defensive line talent available to the Jets at the top of the second round. If they get a pass rusher/OLB with the first pick and then get some DL help in the second round they may go a long way toward fixing the defense.

It depends on who's available. If he's great value and there's no pass rusher to warrant the selection, and we can't trade down, then I'd consider taking him. But, I'd rather not because I'd like to handle it through FA. At this point, we don't need any rookies at RT. If we need to find one in the draft then I think we should wait. Long is a very good run-blocker but he's not really an elite prospect. I think we can get a comparable skill set a little later with players like Cherilus (Oher and Otah might push him back a little). Hopefully we handle the o-line in FA so we can solely focus on value for o-line prospects rather than having a need to fill.

D'Brick is fine at Left Tackle and I don't think either he or Long/Oher are making the switch to RT. We have to wait until the combine before we can properly judge each player. The problem is right now there doesn't seem to be any obvious studs available at #6. The best option may be trading down.

The goal isn't to get top 6 picks every other year and build an OL that way. The idea is usually to take skill position players with your top 10 position picks, and build OL later on in the draft, and THEN when you are picking later in the first round taking OL talent for depth and to upgrade the line. You should NOT be in position to pick in the top 5 when you have the skill position players. Look at the Steelers, their OL was seriously bad (making me question why we'd want Faneca or anyone else from that line) but they still did well this season. The Colts had a myriad of injuries and were basically playing a rag tag group week in and week out on the line, yet they did great too.

Meanwhile we have no injuries really and go 4-12. I'm not against taking an LT with that high pick, but I'm in agreement with Sperm and Troll in general otherwise. But I stopped worrying about projecting who will be good and who won't be, I don't worry about the draft until halfway into the ensuing regular season.

I mean that if we did make that desicion it wouldn't work out. You don't draft a player in the top 6 and then play him out of position.

Long played RT at Michigan until his senior year. He was outstanding on the right side too. Ambidextrous, if you will. The defense rests, your Honor.

The goal isn't to get top 6 picks every other year and build an OL that way. The idea is usually to take skill position players with your top 10 position picks, and build OL later on in the draft, and THEN when you are picking later in the first round taking OL talent for depth and to upgrade the line. You should NOT be in position to pick in the top 5 when you have the skill position players. Look at the Steelers, their OL was seriously bad (making me question why we'd want Faneca or anyone else from that line) but they still did well this season. The Colts had a myriad of injuries and were basically playing a rag tag group week in and week out on the line, yet they did great too.

Meanwhile we have no injuries really and go 4-12. I'm not against taking an LT with that high pick, but I'm in agreement with Sperm and Troll in general otherwise. But I stopped worrying about projecting who will be good and who won't be, I don't worry about the draft until halfway into the ensuing regular season.

who says that's the way to draft? there is no set way. you get what you need. the steelers line was bad? they were 3rd in the league in rushing. willie parker ain't no barry sanders. someone was blocking. not sure how many sacks they gave up

who says that's the way to draft? there is no set way. you get what you need. the steelers line was bad? they were 3rd in the league in rushing. willie parker ain't no barry sanders. someone was blocking. not sure how many sacks they gave up

I believe they gave up around 50 sacks.

That team couldn't pass block to save their lives.

Long is rated in the top 5 but I have yet to see Oher rated that highly in any other mock boards. So I wouldn't be happy with Oher...too much of a reach but the combines are yet to come...I wouldn't be against Long but not my preferred preference at 6. I know our O line is the worst unit on the team but think there are several high quality lineman we could get in second round (Cherilus or Chris Williams) plus we need to make up for letting Kendall go by signing one or two experienced OL in FA. Prefer Jacob Bell and Jordan Gross...

We need a serious upgrade on the OL but six is too high unless its Long...IMHO...If its Long its probably too late because the front office had such a terrible free agent signings if they failed to close the "turnstiles" before the draft.

would there not be any game breaking impact players at #6? O lineman can be found later in the draft

I'm sure there are impact players available at #6. The "problem" is that none of them are (as of right now) generally thought worthy of the #6 overall pick.

Ask me again in two years & I'll tell you who we should have taken there.

The sad reality is that there's a good chance that there won't be any "no-brainer" player sitting there at #6. Hope it changes.

Agree on OL in this draft. It's one position where this draft is sickly deep. To burn #6 on the draft's deepest position isn't my idea of great value.

To burn #6 on the draft's deepest position isn't my idea of great value.

we talk about great value but people seem to forget that the money needed to sign a starting quality RT will be similar to the money paid to the 6 pick. Stacey Andrews isn't gonna sign for peanuts. It will likely be a deal with 10 mil bonus. at that point why not take Jake Long or Oher?

we talk about impact positions, did you guys watch the Jets this year? there is no bigger improvement this team NEEDS to make greater than RT and LG. upgrading these positions would solve the Jets worst problem, right away. pass rushing DE might be as big a need, and if they took a defensive end that's fair enough. but other than DE they need not one but two quality offensive linemen right now.

The other problem here is that the Jets seem to be ignoring QBs in this draft. If they absolutely cannot take a QB at 6, that eliminates 1 or 2 more possible "value" players at that spot.

The other problem here is that the Jets seem to be ignoring QBs in this draft. If they absolutely cannot take a QB at 6, that eliminates 1 or 2 more possible "value" players at that spot.

Do you really think the Jets are ignoring QBs? Do you have any evidence of that? I know the concensus on this board is that Clemens deserves another year, but I don't see any reason to think the Jets will ignore QBs. I'd certainly pick one if they were a good value.

I'd certainly pick one if they were a good value.

i hope they will take the best player regardless of position but until they move Chad (trade or cut) they cannot take another number 1, because it would kill any trade leverage they have. teams wouldn't believe that the Jets really "need" Chad if there were 2 other young bucks on the roster and would just wait for the Jets to cut him, which the Jets would have to do.

Archived