What're the coldest continental states?

Blackout

Parts of North Dakota have got to be ranked near the top of the list. Went to Fargo a few years ago. EVERY, and I mean EVERY, car we saw with North Dakota plates had an electrical cord dangling from the front grill . These are to plug in the engine block heaters. Talk about cold.

My last winter stationed at Fort Drum in upstate NY, we regularly hit -60.

For two weeks it was the coldest spot in North America. We weren't allowed to leave the barracks.

That's not too far from here, and it does get a LOT colder there than it does here. Central Adirondacks are even worse, and they are in the geographical center of nowhere.

Northern Minnesota and North Dakota get my vote on this one though. It's cold there in the summer.

The northern panhandle of Michigan gets extremely cold. I am too young to remember but my parents always tell me of times when they had to put heat tape on the tires of the car so they wouldn't freeze to the ground. They also say that it was alot colder (regularly in the negatives) than Plattsburgh, NY or anywhere in the adirandacks, and I remember it being very cold there.

Yeah, we were located just outside of Marquette, MI which is the 4th coldest on that list. My parents also told me the story that in 1979, 2 months before I was born, it snowed at the end of june!

I was a little surprised by all of the cities in Kansas on the Top 10 cities with most weather variety.

For two weeks it was the coldest spot in North America. We weren't allowed to leave the barracks.

I went to Potsdam State in the early '90s and passed Drum on my way. Coldest place I've ever been is Massena, NY in February. They don't get snow there. Just ice.

I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan (Marquette), as noted below it's cold!

Coldest Weather All Year

The coldest climate year-round in the United States is at Barrow on Alaska's north coast. There the normal daily mean temperature is well below freezing, at 10.4 °F (-12 °C).

Out of 250 major weather stations in the continental US, these five have an annual mean temperature below 40 °F (4.4 °C):

Location Daily Mean °F Mt. Washington, New Hampshire 27.2 International Falls, Minnesota 37.4 Marquette, Michigan 38.7 Duluth, Minnesota 39.1 Caribou, Maine 39.2

-60?? Holy crap. I knew it got pretty cold way upstate but I didn't think it could get THAT cold.

Archived