Jets trying to get Pat Williams to Fly in Today!

Smizzy

I don't think we can offer him the amount of money that Minnesota can.

However, we must bank on one thing: Williams, who is likely financially set for life already, may want to be the last piece to a championship puzzle, rather than go to a team that's basically in rebuilding mode with a terrible defense and now pedestrian offense.

I'm betting on the former.

If the Jets land Pat Williams we instantly become an even better defense than we were in 2004

Ain't no team running between the tackles verses the Jets, with any degree of success, with Pat Williams and D-Rob in the middle of the D-Line and Jon Vilma right behind them

IMO that would make the Jets run defense between the tackles a PERFECT 10 on a scale from 1-10

But I have no confidence that the Jets will walk away with Pat Williams ](*,)

PROVE ME WRONG, TERRY ... A-B-C!!!!!

Williams in the middle of this defense will free up the other guys on the line and our linebackers- we would be so much better overall defensively.

Fergy leaving is no big loss if Williams the load is brought in to take his place-upgrades the defense if it happens

However, we must bank on one thing: Williams, who is likely financially set for life already, may want to be the last piece to a championship puzzle, rather than go to a team that's basically in rebuilding mode with a terrible defense and now pedestrian offense.

I'm beginning to hate the Vikings.

Then why goto the Jets? The only thing they are a lock and it is a tenuous lock at best, is second place in the AFC East.

Then why goto the Jets? The only thing they are a lock and it is a tenuous lock at best, is second place in the AFC East.

Well, you are certainly entitled to that opinion, and recent history is certainly on YOUR side to this point.

But I think most Jet fans (at least) think the Dynasty is over (all dynasty's come to ean end you know, so enjoy your good feelings while you can).

I assume you would agree, at the very least, that your team is worse off for the losses of Weis and Crenell?? Or do you believe the new Co's will step right in at an equal, if not better, level of quality?

I would also assume that you agree the Jets have improved with the replacement of Hackett with Dinger.

So as to coaching, I think it is clear the Pats have lost at least a half-step (or more), while the Jets have stepped forward a half-step (or more).

As to roster, both the Jets and Pats are still up in the air as to improvement since it is still so early in the offseason. The Jets have lost Furgy it seems, and likely are to lose Jordan (whom you devalue anyways). I would also say it's safe to bet the Jets lose McKenzie as well, and Jason Glenn the #2 LB. Who knows who we'll gain.

Other than Phifer and Brown, who are the Pats likely to lose in FA?? And who are they looking to sign??

Warfish - One, I was partially yanking troll's chain, but few team can play "be the final piece to the puzzle' hand and the Jets are not one of them.

One, there Run D was pretty good without Williams so the effect will not be a huge transformation like it was from 2003 to 2004.

Last, the Eagles and Steelers can play that card and the Colts to a lesser degree. His addition would help them, but the Jets need is not defense. If Dingleberry improves the play calling then Chad has to come through. Williams addition might help but it will not get the Jets any closer to the division much less the Superbowl.

Warfish - One, I was partially yanking troll's chain, but few team can play "be the final piece to the puzzle' hand and the Jets are not one of them.

One, there Run D was pretty good without Williams so the effect will not be a huge transformation like it was from 2003 to 2004.

Last, the Eagles and Steelers can play that card and the Colts to a lesser degree. His addition would help them, but the Jets need is not defense. If Dingleberry improves the play calling then Chad has to come through. Williams addition might help but it will not get the Jets any closer to the division much less the Superbowl.

Of ocurse you think that. In your eyes, no one will ever catch the Pats...ever....LOL!

Improvement is improvement, plain and simple. Williams is a better DT tahn the soon-to-be-Cowboy Furgy (whihc pains me, cause I really like Furgy actually). By aquiring him, and losing Furgy, the Jets can get better.

And btw, I KNEW you were yanking troll. Don't be so sensative. :lol:

Of ocurse you think that. In your eyes, no one will ever catch the Pats...ever....LOL!

Improvement is improvement, plain and simple. Williams is a better DT tahn the soon-to-be-Cowboy Furgy (whihc pains me, cause I really like Furgy actually). By aquiring him, and losing Furgy, the Jets can get better.

And btw, I KNEW you were yanking troll. Don't be so sensative. :lol:

Of course it will end, but nothing is imminent.

The proof is there if you care to see it and I know Jets fans don't because it is not good news for them.

Look at the injuries the Patriots have suffered over the past two seasons and the beat still goes on. It not only goes on, they are 34-4 over that period.

-The lose one starting corner for 17 games and another 13 games and are still 17-2.

-They lose their best DL for a good portion of the playoffs. They only face the best running and passing teams during that time and beat them by a combined 61-30.

-Last year, they were ravaged by injuries with as many as 9 starters gone at one time and they only start the NFL's longest winning streak - ever.

-The most amazing fact of this, is they do it during a time when the NFL rules should prevent such dominance.

There will be a day in the future, when the Patriots glory days end with a thud. However, unless Belichikc and Brady go riding off in the sun set in the immediate futre that day is not happening to soon.

Look at the roster. Only two players on offense are over 30. Fauria whose role was reduced and Dillon who just turned 30. While the defense has a few more gray hairs, the DL and DBs are now mostly populated with players under 30. The only glaring thin unit is LBer, but there are enough under 30 incumbents (Vrabel and Colvin) and veterans to keep this unit afloat until some players develop.

The bottomline is this, the Patriots are built to last for a good long run. While they might not win every year, they are built to go on a run like the 49ers.

Of course it will end, but nothing is imminent.

The proof is there if you care to see it and I know Jets fans don't because it is not good news for them.

Look at the injuries the Patriots have suffered over the past two seasons and the beat still goes on. It not only goes on, they are 34-4 over that period.

-The lose one starting corner for 17 games and another 13 games and are still 17-2.

-They lose their best DL for a good portion of the playoffs. They only face the best running and passing teams during that time and beat them by a combined 61-30.

-Last year, they were ravaged by injuries with as many as 9 starters gone at one time and they only start the NFL's longest winning streak - ever.

-The most amazing fact of this, is they do it during a time when the NFL rules should prevent such dominance.

There will be a day in the future, when the Patriots glory days end with a thud. However, unless Belichikc and Brady go riding off in the sun set in the immediate futre that day is not happening to soon.

Look at the roster. Only two players on offense are over 30. Fauria whose role was reduced and Dillon who just turned 30. While the defense has a few more gray hairs, the DL and DBs are now mostly populated with players under 30. The only glaring thin unit is LBer, but there are enough under 30 incumbents (Vrabel and Colvin) and veterans to keep this unit afloat until some players develop.

The bottomline is this, the Patriots are built to last for a good long run. While they might not win every year, they are built to go on a run like the 49ers.

As I said....don't be so sensative, LOL!

I do not discount ANY of your points of fact. Not one.

However, I do indeed belive the Pats have suffered due to the loss of their O and D Co's. I believe it is a meaningful defection that will hurt the Pats in some form. How much, or how severely, is obviously yet to be determined.

Have the Jets improved....well, that is clearly debatable as of today. I would say we have purely for the aquisition of Dinger, but have also suffered the loss of a #1A RB in Jordan and a solid DT in Furgy. To me, as of TODAY, that has to be considered a wash. The rest of the offseason will tell our tale.

PFSIKH, I am one of the more realist Jets fans you'll meet (well, on issues OTHER than Herm, I'd say, LOL!), just ask Tex. I freely admit it when my team is inferior, and we clearly were last year. And I would not be suprised if the Pats again dominate the AFC. I don't debate those possibillities at all.

My ONLY point here (which you've now forced me to elaborate on at such length) is that the defection of both O-Co and D-Co COULD (Stress COULD) be a detriment to the continuance of the Pats Dynasty.

I think we can agree that it is WAY too early in this offseason to judge much else beyond that...for now.

With apologies to StillerPaul, I'm going to go on record right now and call the Steelers a fluke. Unless the Colts dramatically improve their defense, I think that the Jets and the Jaguars will be the top competetion to take the Pats' throne next season.

With apologies to StillerPaul, I'm going to go on record right now and call the Steelers a fluke. Unless the Colts dramatically improve their defense, I think that the Jets and the Jaguars will be the top competetion to take the Pats' throne next season.

Come on Troll, not really like you to make homer statements like that.

The Jets will be the Pats major competition next year????

The Pats main competiton remains the Steelers and Colts. All other teams are just lumped into the same "wishful thinking" category.

I honestly don't believe that.

If you consider the Colts to be contenders to the Patriots now, then you aren't being honest about how much a part Romeo Crennel was to your team's success. If Belichick is indeed the mastermind, then the Colts will never be able to compete with the Patriots until they get a decent defense.

As for the Steelers, I think that the planets were aligned last season. They were a 6-10 team that added ONE free agent and drafted a quarterback in the first round that turned into a 15-1 powerhouse. So, what was the fluke: An over-rated team that was exposed in 2003...or a team whose running back who was DONE two years before suddenly found the fountain of youth? Look at Roethlisberger. After the way he ended this past season, you surely can't expect him to come back and be lights out again. I expect their running game to take a major hit this season and I expect their quarterback to go through growing pains, especially with his favorite target playing elsewhere.

We had the Steelers BY THE BALLS this year. You really think they can come back and repeat 2004 all over again?

The Jets are the Pats' top competition. That ain't homerism either.

Troll,

Fair enough. I respect your opinion.

But I'm not sure which QB shudders more at the thought of playing the Pats, Manning or PennyBoy.

As for the Steelers, no way do they go 15-1 again. I think the first 4 games will tell a lot about Big Ben. I still think he hit the rookie wall at the end of last season and will be a very good QB.

Time will tell. :wink:

Troll,

But I'm not sure which QB shudders more at the thought of playing the Pats, Manning or PennyBoy.

I don't think that's a fair comparison because of one major difference: Chad doesn't have to beat the Pats by himself...Peyton does.

The Colts will never beat the big-time defenssive teams in the playffs with Peyton Manning at the helm. I am convinced of this. I have been watching him choke in big games since he was in college. Some guys have it, some guys don't. He don't.

The Steelers wil be right back up there as long as Big Ben doesn't hit the wall. He was REALLY exposed at the end of the season last year, and if he doesn't make a HUGE jump this off-season, the Steelers will fizzle out again.

Archived