Robinson Cano Signing Extention?

Smizzy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where and thats it? Surprising he'd sign for that cheap.

It allows him to get guaranteed money, where otherwise he is playing year to year at the Yankees contract whim, until he becomes arbitration eligible, and this helps the Yankees buy out his arbitration years.

Win-Win assuming he stays healthy.

It also looks like they have the option to buy out of couple of his FA years

If the Yankees can buy out the 2 seasons of FA at a reasonable price, of say 12-14 million, then this is a solid deal for both parties. The 30 million over 4 years is about what he would get through arbitration anyway, maybe a drop less:

4, 6.5, 9, 12. This totals 31.5. So there is a small savings, but not much. The big savings for the Yankees is the options, if they are reasonably priced.

BTW - if the options are for 2 years at 13 million each, that makes this deal a 6 year, 56 million contract. Very close to what David Wright signed for.

If the Yankees can buy out the 2 seasons of FA at a reasonable price, of say 12-14 million, then this is a solid deal for both parties. The 30 million over 4 years is about what he would get through arbitration anyway, maybe a drop less:

4, 6.5, 9, 12. This totals 31.5. So there is a small savings, but not much. The big savings for the Yankees is the options, if they are reasonably priced.

BTW - if the options are for 2 years at 13 million each, that makes this deal a 6 year, 56 million contract. Very close to what David Wright signed for.

Difference in talent level between Wright-Cano but this is a very good player for the Yanks to lock up.

You are comparingh a 30-30 player with Robinson Cano and they have roughly the same lifetime average.

Wow!

Your sense of humor does indeed run deep.

Cano being a 2nd baseman adds A LOT of value to him. There are less than a handful of 2nd baseman that can hit and field like Cano.

Cano being a 2nd baseman adds A LOT of value to him. There are less than a handful of 2nd baseman that can hit and field like Cano.

Barton, does it take away Wrights FAR superior OBP, OPS, SLG? How about his speed.

In response to the incredible ability it has to take to play 2nd base, we submit to the jury-Jeff Kent, Alfonsio Soriano, Juan Samuel, Steve Sax, etc.

Playing 2nd base is not the most difficult thing to do.

As flawed as the award is, David Wrighty did win a Gold Glove at 3rd Base laast year. He is not a slouch, and his offense FAR outpaces Cano.

This is not even close.

Barton, does it take away Wrights FAR superior OBP, OPS, SLG? How about his speed.

In response to the incredible ability it has to take to play 2nd base, we submit to the jury-Jeff Kent, Alfonsio Soriano, Juan Samuel, Steve Sax, etc.

As flawed as the award is, David Wrighty did win a Gold Glove at 3rd Base laast year. He is not a slouch, and his offense FAR outpaces Cano.

This is not even close.

It's closer than you think.

This is not even close.

His offense does not far outpace Cano. Especially when you consider Cano is a 2nd baseman. Different positions have different offensive values. Cano has a higher value in the league because he's a 2nd baseman. And you listed Jeff Kent, an ex-2nd baseman in Soriano, and 2 guys who played many years ago. Is that it? BTW, Sax cant hold a candle to Cano.

3rd baseman is a power hitters position. What Wright is doing is not as unique as what Cano is doing because typically 2nd baseman dont hit nearly as good as Cano. And while most dont hit as good as Wright, there are more 3rd baseman who produce closer to Wrights level than 2nd baseman on Cano's level. That just a fact.

His offense does not far outpace Cano. Especially when you consider Cano is a 2nd baseman. Different positions have different offensive values. Cano has a higher value in the league because he's a 2nd baseman. And you listed Jeff Kent, an ex-2nd baseman in Soriano, and 2 guys who played many years ago. Is that it? BTW, Sax cant hold a candle to Cano.

3rd baseman is a power hitters position. What Wright is doing is not as unique as what Cano is doing because typically 2nd baseman dont hit nearly as good as Cano. And while most dont hit as good as Wright, more 3rd baseman produce closer to Wrights level than 2nd baseman on Cano's level. That just a fact.

Wright is a Power hitter who has the same average.

2nd bas is usually a speed position, if you want to start comparing positions and attributes.

What does Cano do offensively that is UNIQUE? Hit for power? Speed?

he is a good player, absolutely. I am not denegrating that.

But Wright is a much more COMPLETE hitter. he gives you everything as a hitter. Cano does not.

Wright is a Power hitter who has the same average.

2nd bas is usually a speed position, if you want to start comparing positions and attributes.

What does Cano do offensively that is UNIQUE? Hit for power? Speed?

he is a good player, absolutely. I am not denegrating that.

But Wright is a much more COMPLETE hitter. he gives you everything as a hitter. Cano does not.

Yes, Cano's power for a 2nd baseman is only matched by a guy like Utley. And he's a great hitter for average too. Wright isnt even the best 3rd baseman in his own city.

And I dont think we have seen the best from Cano yet. Wright has probably reached his ceiling, and right now he's a better hitter than Cano. But down the line, Cano will catch up some and with being a 2nd baseman, his value will be higher I believe.

Wright is better right now, but I think Cano has more room to grow (physically) where Wright has probably reached his ceiling. Defensively its not even a comparison, Cano is better.

Yes, Cano's power for a 2nd baseman is only matched by a guy like Utley. And he's a great hitter for average too. Wright isnt even the best 3rd baseman in his own city.

And I dont think we have seen the best from Cano yet. Wright has probably reached his ceiling, and right now he's a better hitter than Cano. But down the line, Cano will catch up some and with being a 2nd baseman, his value will be higher I believe.

Wright is better right now, but I think Cano has more room to grow (physically) where Wright has probably reached his ceiling. Defensively its not even a comparison, Cano is better.

First- Why must you Bring A-Rod into teh equation? We were talking Cano vs Wright? Why A-Rod?

Only matched by Utley in power? Uggla, Phillips, Upton, Kent,Kinsler? You may want to look up teh word only ;)

I love the argument that premises on future successes. Barton has ued his back to the future argument in order to tell us where players are today, and what they will do in the future :)

Wright has won a Gold Glove at his position. Has Cano?

Imho: Cano is going to be a star if he keeps his head on straight. This premise though that his numbers are unique for a 2nd baseman though is a bit of a reach when you also have guys like Uggla, Utley, Brian Roberts and maybe a Freddie Sanchez doing near the same thing now.

Before them you had the Kents, Sorianos, and even before them you had the Baergas and the Chuck Knoblauch of the the world.

Cano's numbers are nice. Probably top 5 or 7 in MLB for his position but he isn't going out there blasting 35-40 homers like Soriano did. If he did that they would probably move him to the OF.

First- Why must you Bring A-Rod into teh equation? We were talking Cano vs Wright? Why A-Rod?

Only matched by Utley in power? Uggla, Phillips, Upton, Kent,Kinsler? You may want to look up teh word only ;)

I love the argument that premises on future successes. Barton has ued his back to the future argument in order to tell us where players are today, and what they will do in the future :)

Wright has won a Gold Glove at his position. Has Cano?

Upton is a center fielder. Phillips has only done it for 1 year, of which Cano had a higher OPS not to mention. Uggla hit .245 with a .326 OBP, lol. Cano is better than Kinsler. Kent, I'll give you that. So, Utley and Kent. Anything else?

3rd base is a power hitters/middle of the order spot, Wright is a great offensive player.

2nd base is a light hitters/bottom of the order spot, Cano is a great offensive player.

^^

What else needs to be said?

Gold glove award means nothing, as does that arguement. Jeter won a gold glove award, is he a better defensive shortstop than Reyes?

And I brought Arod into the conversation because he's the best 3rd baseman in the league and we're talking about the positional value of a 3rd baseman.

Imho: Cano is going to be a star if he keeps his head on straight. This premise though that his numbers are unique for a 2nd baseman though is a bit of a reach when you also have guys like Uggla, Utley, Brian Roberts and maybe a Freddie Sanchez doing near the same thing now.

Before them you had the Kents, Sorianos, and even before them you had the Baergas and the Chuck Knoblauch of the the world.

Cano's numbers are nice. Probably top 5 or 7 in MLB for his position but he isn't going out there blasting 35-40 homers like Soriano did. If he did that they would probably move him to the OF.

Thank you for teh voice of reason.

Cano is a very good player, and I would LOVE to have him on teh Mets.

but to say that he is a "much better player" than Wright is a stretch.

Upton is a center fielder. Phillips has only done it for 1 year, of which Cano had a higher OPS not to mention. Uggla hit .245 with a .326 OBP, lol. Cano is better than Kinsler. Kent, I'll give you that. So, Utley and Kent. Anything else?

3rd base is a power hitters spot, Wright is a great offensive player.

2nd base is a light hitters spot, Cano is a great offensive player.

^^

What else needs to be said?

Gold glove award means nothing, as does that arguement. Jeter won a gold glove award, is he a better defensive shortstop than Reyes?

Barton, you are a GM of a expansion franchise, and you have your first pick to start your club and you have to make it between Cano and Wright.

Gun to your head, whom do you pick today?

Barton, you are a GM of a expansion franchise, and you have your first pick to start your club and you have to make it between Cano and Wright.

Gun to your head, whom do you pick today?

Its honestly a complete flip of the coin. You cannot go wrong.

I like Cano better, so I'd go with him as a Yankees fan. But Wright is more marketable as a franchise face.

Its honestly a complete flip of the coin. You cannot go wrong.

I like Cano better, so I'd go with him as a Yankees fan. But Wright is more marketable as a franchise face.

Fair enough.

I won't begrudge you an opinion.

I just don't think that youi would find the same given baseball GM's. Of course, that is an opinion too.

The Yankees and Robinson Cano have agreed to a four-year, $30 million contract with two option years, according to SI's Jon Heyman.

The option for 2012 is for $13 million and the option for 2013 is believed to be for about $15 million. Those would cover his first two years of free agency. Jan. 25 - 3:27 pm et

You are comparingh a 30-30 player with Robinson Cano and they have roughly the same lifetime average.

Wow!

Your sense of humor does indeed run deep.

cano hits .314, wright hits .306

roughly the same? pish posh.

and how many good 2nd basemen hitters are there?

It is embarassing reading the Yankee fans posts in this thread. There is 1 NY player(ARod) better than Wright and most of you guys want him traded anyway.

So you admit Wright would sit the bench for the Yankees. How good can the guy be? Geez he wouldn't even start if he was traded to a team that plays 4 miles away.

:roll:

Actually Wright hits .311 and destroys Cano EVERYWHERE else including baserunning.

It's funny that you are Bill James only when the stats play in your arguments favor.

Cano is a very good player but not close to Wright as of now. Also the position makes him more valuable argument is rubbish. Go look at any fantasy top 50 player list and you'll see that the 2nd Baseman are ranked just about as often as 3rd baseman.

Homer.

.311 my mistake

with that said, Cano plays a MUCH tougher defensive position. the fact someone could argue the quality of 2nd basemen compared to 3rd basemen in baseball at this point in time, thats a joke. look at the top 5 2nd basemen in the league, only Chase Utley can hit his way up there with the best of them.

either way the Mets can take their guy and I'll take Robbie Cano.

do I look like Homer Simpson?? nope.

So you admit Wright would sit the bench for the Yankees. How good can the guy be? Geez he wouldn't even start if he was traded to a team that plays 4 miles away.

:roll:

LOL...he'd shift ARod to SS, Jete to 2nd and Robbie to 1B......now that would be some infield huh. Pending Barton's approval of course.

Archived