Santana to the Mets

Matt39

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great News for the Yankees? The Yankees don't have half a clue...the last 3 season should be proof they don't know WTF they are doing.

Yea....let the best southpaw in MLB go somewhere else...they are so easy to come by....

I guarantee we see a Mets Vs Redsox world series before the Yankees make it back .

Twins scouts have always been on the money for the most part in the past on their talent assessments. Hughes and a bag of crap didn't get it done initially and than Phil was pulled off the table.

Great day as my favorite player is now a Met pending the contract.

Great News for the Yankees? The Yankees don't have half a clue...the last 3 season should be proof they don't know WTF they are doing.

Yea....let the best southpaw in MLB go somewhere else...they are so easy to come by....

I guarantee we see a Mets Vs Redsox world series before the Yankees make it back .

No, they know exactly what they're doing. You don't give up 2 of your best 3 prospects, especially when they've shown the ability to pitch well at the MLB level, for one player that costs you $25 million per year.

How the Twins can trade Santana for 4 completely unproven players I have no idea. Twins GM facked up rejecting that Hughes offer. Serves him right having to settle for the Mets offer, which seems to be a steal for them.

I have no idea what the best offer is, I'm not a talent evaluator. But, the Yankee prospects are not "proven" Hughes has less than half a year of major league experience. He showed some flashes, but was in no way dominant. Ian Kennedy pitched like 3 games and most scouts agree he's a 3rd or 4th starter. Melky Cabrera, no one thinks anything of, outside of the Yankees.

Twins scouts have always been on the money for the most part in the past on their talent assessments. Hughes and a bag of crap didn't get it done initially and than Phil was pulled off the table.

Great day as my favorite player is now a Met pending the contract.

The Mets need to get this done, don't tease the tortured fanbase.

Great news for the Sox as well, who I think were only in the bidding to drive up the price if the Yanks really wanted him.

The Mets better do it now, they have absolutely no future now.

If the offer really was Lester/Crisp+ the Sox were absolutely stupid in turning that down. They would be division favorites for the next 6-7 years.

If the offer really was Lester/Crisp+ the Sox were absolutely stupid in turning that down. They would be division favorites for the next 6-7 years.

There were two offers by the Sox, one was Lester/Crisp + and the other was Ellsbury/Lowrie+, I believe. Even the Twins GM isn't stupid enough to take the first deal. That would have been highway robbery.

Hank can finally shut his mouth now.

Oh and good thing he mentioned Hughes and Cabreras by name to the press in the proposed deals, schmuck.

If Hughes produces, and down the line gets paid BIG by the Yanks, it'll merely be a footnote. The only problem will be if the A)the Yankees lowball him at somepoint, in some way, or B)He struggles--because of course the media would say its because of the trade talk, and then of course Hank will come out, say something stupid, and make things worse.

Me thinks this will be a foot note, though.

If Hughes produces, and down the line gets paid BIG by the Yanks, it'll merely be a footnote. The only problem will be if the A)the Yankees lowball him at somepoint, in some way, or B)He struggles--because of course the media would say its because of the trade talk, and then of course Hank will come out, say something stupid, and make things worse.

Me thinks this will be a foot note, though.

No doubt, it really does not matter. But it was still beyond stupid by Hank to say their names.

Out of the 3 teams in the hunt the one that needed him the most got him. What is surprising is what they got him for. I thought both yankee and Red Sox offers were better, but like some else posted, I'm not a great evaluator of minor league talent.

Met fans: Congrats. You have yourself a legit pitching stud for the next 5-6 years. I remember what it felt when the Sox landed Pedro. The Mets have a real shot next year.

This is excellent news for Yankees fans. We're not giving up the young pitchers, but Boston isn't getting him, either.

Outstanding! Thanks, Mets! Thanks, Twinkies!

I agree 100%. The Yankees and the Sox aren't involved and he has been traded. I am happy. Plus he goes to the NL, even better.

Mets needed to do this,,Yanks and Red Sox didnt have to,,

Gammons just said on ESPn that the Mets basically stole him,,

said Gomez only seen as so-so now and others are either #1s that went bust or lower level stars..

keeping the other farm star guy, i forget his name, was key to mets making deal..

I agree 100%. The Yankees and the Sox aren't involved and he has been traded. I am happy. Plus he goes to the NL, even better.

This is great news. As long as he did not goto the Yankees I am happy. They still do not have a bonafide #1.

What I find totally hilarious.....The Yankees are hoping Hughes grows into a great player...Like Johnan Santana.

I don't look at that way...Yanks have three outstanding prospects in Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy. If the Yanks can average 10 wins a season from those three, that's 30 wins right there. Plus, the Yanks don't have to pay that huge contract to Santana.

Hey, nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited for the Yanks future with these young guns...should be fun.

Exactly

I do think the deal will get done though. The Mets have come to far in this and if they let it fall through over dollars the fanbase will go berserk.

I don't know much about the guys going to Minnesota but one I think it was either ESPN or SNY saying that the guys going to Minnesota were 4 of the top 7 Mets prospects so if that is the case then I think both sides win.

Yeah, that guy with 19 wins in each of the last two seasons sucks.

Wang is a good pitcher.

However, he does not exactly scare anyone. He is not Pedro in his prime when you knew you were going against a dominant pitcher. The same can be said for Johan.

Do you feel comfortable with him starting a big game? Doubt it.

Plus, I would like to add (as a Yankees fan of course)...the Yanks and the Sox didn't succumb to a bidding war with the Twins...this is what happens when a team (Twins) gets greedy.

"In return for Santana, the Twins would receive center fielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra -- a package which some talent evaluators believe could be the fourth-best offer that Minnesota received during this process."

I don't look at that way...Yanks have three outstanding prospects in Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy. If the Yanks can average 10 wins a season from those three, that's 30 wins right there. Plus, the Yanks don't have to pay that huge contract to Santana.

Hey, nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited for the Yanks future with these young guns...should be fun.

They still have to sign him within 3 days. The Wilpons are cheap bastards. This isn't done yet. And even if it is, he has shown a propensity to give up homers. On the other hand, the Mets prospects utterly suck, so why not?Heck, they devalued Humber themselves with mismanagement at every turn. There's no Phil Hughes or Jorge Tabata in that bunch of crap. Good luck overpaying him. Glad the Sawx didn't get'em. But with Fenway ERA, well?

This was so wrong. Hughes and Kennedy sucked,anad given Hughes' 85-88 velocity and Kennedy being a scared pussie, things don't figure to improve. Santana should be the NL Cy Young,and pitched the kind of game winning teams need in a big spot Saturday.

They still have to sign him within 3 days. The Wilpons are cheap bastards. This isn't done yet. And even if it is, he has shown a propensity to give up homers. On the other hand, the Mets prospects utterly suck, so why not?Heck, they devalued Humber themselves with mismanagement at every turn. There's no Phil Hughes or Jorge Tabata in that bunch of crap. Good luck overpaying him. Glad the Sawx didn't get'em. But with Fenway ERA, well?

Speaking about Fenway. Here's a little trivia for you. Do you know that Casey never (maybe on a rare occasion if really needed) pitched Whitey Ford at Fenway Park.

Archived