Santana to the Mets

Matt39

They still have to sign him within 3 days. The Wilpons are cheap bastards. This isn't done yet. And even if it is, he has shown a propensity to give up homers. On the other hand, the Mets prospects utterly suck, so why not?Heck, they devalued Humber themselves with mismanagement at every turn. There's no Phil Hughes or Jorge Tabata in that bunch of crap. Good luck overpaying him. Glad the Sawx didn't get'em. But with Fenway ERA, well?

:)

He's also shown the propensity to be called the best pitcher in baseball. Also, no one knows what Hughes or the prospects the Mets gave up will become.

The Twins have a solid track record on picking the right prospects in past deals.

Cashmans's job (right or wrong) is on the line for not grabbing Johan. Hank will place all the blame for not getting a deal done on Cashman if Hughes and the Yanks falter this season.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping the Red Sox would land him but going to the Mets is great too. I still can't believe the Twins gave him up for the Mets package. Gomez is only 22 but has yet to prove he can hit ML pitching. Same with the pitchers. As of now none of them look like they would ever develop into a staff 'ace". IMHO it looks like the Twins lost out by waiting. Both the Red Sox and Skankees deal that were initially on the table were far better , IMO, than this deal. A steal for the Mets as of now.

What I find totally hilarious.....The Yankees are hoping Hughes grows into a great player...Like Johnan Santana.

Bro it wan't Hughes for Johan straight up. It was possibly 2 of your starting 5 and the starting CF. Plus 25 million or so to the pitcher (Johnan) so replacing the other spots wouldn't be easy.

This is a GOOD day for Yankee fans.

Exactly

I do think the deal will get done though. The Mets have come to far in this and if they let it fall through over dollars the fanbase will go berserk.

I don't know much about the guys going to Minnesota but one I think it was either ESPN or SNY saying that the guys going to Minnesota were 4 of the top 7 Mets prospects so if that is the case then I think both sides win.

Exactly right. The Mets will get the signing done. They are opening the new stadium next year don't forget. They'll get it done.

Bro it wan't Hughes for Johan straight up. It was possibly 2 of your starting 5 and the starting CF. Plus 25 million or so to the pitcher (Johnan) so replacing the other spots wouldn't be easy.

This is a GOOD day for Yankee fans.

if Hughes doesn't pan out it's a sad day in retrospect

but right now i think it's a good thing

Hank can finally shut his mouth now.

Oh and good thing he mentioned Hughes and Cabreras by name to the press in the proposed deals, schmuck.

Mets land Johan Santana in deal for four prospects

BY BILL MADDEN AND ADAM RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Tuesday, January 29th 2008, 6:11 PM

Cataffo/News

Two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana will be pitching at Shea this year.

Who

This is great!

Being a die hard Mets and Jets fan, it is good to see ONE of my teams making good moves.

We kept Reyes too.

Ditto ...Things are looking good in Mets-Land,I just hope his play doesn't fall off because of the large amount of money he will get.This guy is exactly what the mets needed to get over the top imo.

GO METS!!!!!

Hughes better pan out or this deal was a joke. Melky Cabrera, as much as I like him, is replaceable. If it was Hughes, Cabrera and a couple of prospects and Hughes doesn't pan out, the Yankees were stupid for not doing this deal.

Once again, I'm just glad he's not in Boston. I wouldn't have watched Baseball this season if that was the case:

Beckett - Santana - DiceK - Schilling :shock:

:)

He's also shown the propensity to be called the best pitcher in baseball. Also, no one knows what Hughes or the prospects the Mets gave up will become.

The Twins have a solid track record on picking the right prospects in past deals.

Cashmans's job (right or wrong) is on the line for not grabbing Johan. Hank will place all the blame for not getting a deal done on Cashman if Hughes and the Yanks falter this season.

Twins also just signed Morneau and Cuddyer to long-term deals, but not Santana. Does that give Mets fans any pause?

Twins also just signed Morneau and Cuddyer to long-term deals, but not Santana. Does that give Mets fans any pause?

The Twins could not afford to tie up all the payroll in one player Santana-that is why they wanted to trade him!-are you trying to portray Santana is not any good or past his prime

Hughes better pan out or this deal was a joke. Melky Cabrera, as much as I like him, is replaceable. If it was Hughes, Cabrera and a couple of prospects and Hughes doesn't pan out, the Yankees were stupid for not doing this deal.

bingo..

potw

all depends on hughes,,and cashmans job does also

The Twins could not afford to tie up all the payroll in one player Santana-that is why they wanted to trade him!-are you trying to portray Santana is not any good or past his prime

Moreso, Santana mouthed off last season about the Twins not building, and it was obvious that his preference was to test the market after this year.

The Twins attempted a "reasonable" deal, but was rebuffed and decided to get something for him now.

Does not mean he will ge a superstar pitcher in NY, but I like his chances and he helps slot the Mets pitching staff much better.

Pedro is a decent option at #2. Maine is a very good #3. Perez is a very good #4. and then throw whatever you can get out of El Duque, and mix in Pelfrey at 5.

Now the Mets must see if Perez can duplicate last season, and if he can, sign him long term. Then they have to replace Pedro after this year.

Moreso, Santana mouthed off last season about the Twins not building, and it was obvious that his preference was to test the market after this year.

The Twins attempted a "reasonable" deal, but was rebuffed and decided to get something for him now.

Does not mean he will ge a superstar pitcher in NY, but I like his chances and he helps slot the Mets pitching staff much better.

Pedro is a decent option at #2. Maine is a very good #3. Perez is a very good #4. and then throw whatever you can get out of El Duque, and mix in Pelfrey at 5.

Now the Mets must see if Perez can duplicate last season, and if he can, sign him long term. Then they have to replace Pedro after this year.

plus a lighter hitting NL, aka no DH , and a VERY pitcher friendly Shea make 2008 look enticing...

on that matter,,has any one heard if new park in 2009 will be hitter vs pitcher friendly??

Once again, I'm just glad he's not in Boston. I wouldn't have watched Baseball this season if that was the case:

Beckett - Santana - DiceK - Schilling :shock:

Don't underestimate Melky's defensive skills...the kid can throw. He's had 26 assists the past two years and that's part-time. Not easy to replace those numbers.

Coco Crisp who the Sox were trying to dump in the trade (and in my opinion is a joke) has had 24 assists in his entire career.

plus a lighter hitting NL, aka no DH , and a VERY pitcher friendly Shea make 2008 look enticing...

on that matter,,has any one heard if new park in 2009 will be hitter vs pitcher friendly??

I had heard through discussions that Centerfield and the power alleys will be roughly thesame and that the lines are slightly shorter.

Don't quote me on that, but it appears that they are trying to keep a pitcher friendly atmosphere.

But of course, as the Phillies found out, you can't guess what prevailing winds and how the shape of the stadium will affect the ball.

I had heard through discussions that Centerfield and the power alleys will be roughly thesame and that the lines are slightly shorter.

Don't quote me on that, but it appears that they are trying to keep a pitcher friendly atmosphere.

But of course, as the Phillies found out, you can't guess what prevailing winds and how the shape of the stadium will affect the ball.

Definitive on Citi's dimensions:

Citi: Left-335, Center-408, Right-330

Shea: Leftr 338, Center-410, Right-338

The gaps will be deeper in Citi.

Don't underestimate Melky's defensive skills...the kid can throw. He's had 26 assists the past two years and that's part-time. Not easy to replace those numbers.

Coco Crisp who the Sox were trying to dump in the trade (and in my opinion is a joke) has had 24 assists in his entire career.

Crisp more than makes up for that with his better range. He catches balls that Melky can only dream about.

Thank You Mets. Twinkies are a bunch of idiots. Look at what they demanded from the Yankees ! :bwahaharoll:

Have you seen some of the past trades that the twins have made?? Yes, I know Smith is the new guy, but I'm just guessing their scouting dept. have something to do with it.

Crisp more than makes up for that with his better range. He catches balls that Melky can only dream about.

Talk about dreaming. You remember that catch Melky made on your boy Manny a couple of years ago in CF, Yankees Stadium? Manny still loses sleep over that one. Plus, what you see in Crisp is what you get...Melky hasn't reached his full potential yet...

Talk about dreaming. You remember that catch Melky made on your boy Manny a couple of years ago in CF, Yankees Stadium? Manny still loses sleep over that one. Plus, what you see in Crisp is what you get...Melky hasn't reached his full potential yet...

You are insane if you think that Melky has anywhere near the range that Crisp has. It's nice that you can bring up one play that he made.

I think you're wrong about Melky. He's an average player, nothing more.

Archived