Santana to the Mets

Matt39

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because everyone knows the smart thing to do is to judge a pitcher on 5.2 innings of work.

Fair point.

4 career post season starts, the pitcher that usually give up few hits has given up 28 hits and a 7.58 ERA over those 4 career starts.

:)

The Twins have a solid track record on picking the right prospects in past deals.

Cashmans's job (right or wrong) is on the line for not grabbing Johan. Hank will place all the blame for not getting a deal done on Cashman if Hughes and the Yanks falter this season.

Its universally agreed upon scouts around the league that the Mets pretty much gave up a bag of shells. The Twins got desperate, they knew the Yanks or Sox were just keeping Johan away from eachother, they both didnt want to give up their prized prospects and with Santana threatening not to waive his no trade clause in-season the TWins were forced to get rid of him for the next best thing before the season started.

Fair point.

4 career post season starts, the pitcher that usually give up few hits has given up 28 hits and a 7.58 ERA over those 4 career starts.

With the Mets depending on geriatrics like the Hernandez brothers and Martinez for 3/5s of their rotation, the postseason won't be much of a concern, no matter how good Santana is. Santana and Maine, and pray for a hurricane? Their bullpen is going to be run ragged after picking up the phone every 5th inning 3 days out of 5.

With the Mets depending on geriatrics like the Hernandez brothers and Martinez for 3/5s of their rotation, the postseason won't be much of a concern, no matter how good Santana is. Santana and Maine, and pray for a hurricane? Their bullpen is going to be run ragged after picking up the phone every 5th inning 3 days out of 5.

the mets rotation will be

santana

pedro

maine

ollie

hernandez

i dont think the bullpen is as strong as it could be but considering 3/5 of the rotation are under 30, they should be in good shape

Don't underestimate Melky's defensive skills...the kid can throw. He's had 26 assists the past two years and that's part-time. Not easy to replace those numbers.

Coco Crisp who the Sox were trying to dump in the trade (and in my opinion is a joke) has had 24 assists in his entire career.

I'm tired of hearing about Melky's defensive stats. Listen, I love Melky, he's a nice player, but he's nothing great and he is replaceable.

Fair point.

And I can cherry pick four starts in his entire career in which he did worse than that. His ERA and hits total is severely skewed by this year. He did horrendous in two starts this year. In the two starts before that, he had one great start and one decent one. I'm really not worried that because of two bad games this year he's not a "good postseason pitcher." He's proven that he can pitch well in the postseason already.

Define 3/5ths? The Hernandez brothers?

Did Keith just sign?

Oh, and what of the Yankees? Pettite and Mussina are spring chickens? And we expect them to throw the kids 200 innings? That would be responsible.

Hughes and Joba and pray for 'roids?

Did Keith just sign?

Oh, and what of the Yankees? Pettite and Mussina are spring chickens? And we expect them to throw the kids 200 innings? That would be responsible.

:bwahaharoll:

POTW

drawn and quartered by SD

Did Keith just sign?

:):):):):):) Thank You. So sick of that tired old negative nonsense.

I'm not sure if it is the money that is the issue. From what I have heard on the TV and radio it is the years.

I would be shocked if this though doesn't get done. Even if they have to get an extension on the deadline I think it will be done before the end of the weekend.

I'm not sure if it is the money that is the issue. From what I have heard on the TV and radio it is the years.

I would be shocked if this though doesn't get done. Even if they have to get an extension on the deadline I think it will be done before the end of the weekend.

That would be awesome if the Santana/Mets deal didn't get done due to the contract deadlock. Then the Yankees sweep in and trade Ian Kennedy and Melky for Santana and give him the contract Freddie Coupons didn't want to give him.

That would be awesome if the Santana/Mets deal didn't get done due to the contract deadlock. Then the Yankees sweep in and trade Ian Kennedy and Melky for Santana and give him the contract Freddie Coupons didn't want to give him.

I thought the Yankees were better off without Santana and his ridiculous contract? Not saying you said this but I have heard this quite a bit this week.

• 7 months later...
too bad we needed him on the 2nd to last day to save our season

Why they moved him up is beyond me. I get that they needed a win but I'd never move up my ace to pitch the 2nd biggest game of the season instead of the biggest game of the season. Sure some will argue that if the Mets lose that game then Santana's start in the final game wouldn't have mattered, but you never know.

Why they moved him up is beyond me. I get that they needed a win but I'd never move up my ace to pitch the 2nd biggest game of the season instead of the biggest game of the season. Sure some will argue that if the Mets lose that game then Santana's start in the final game wouldn't have mattered, but you never know.

They had to throw Santana Sat. Mets only have 3 reliable starters to finish the season- Santana, Pelfrey, and Perez. Pelfrey pitched friday, so you had Santana and Perez on short rest (Perez pitched Wed, Santana Tues).

They couldnt go with Niese or any of the other starters because if they struggled they would have no relievers for sunday if needed.

Archived