This Missing Snorkler In PBC...

SoFlaJets

My daughter Jackie's best friend Julie's husband George was out snorkling the other night with this guy that is now surely dead. He said he heard some splashing and then disappeared...

Search for snorkeler suspended

Monday, January 28, 2008

TEQUESTA

I honestly don't know why anyone would go into the ocean at night. Maybe he had been drinking or something.

you make a good point Craig-I mean you can't see squat at night why snorkel then? I used to love to go snorkeling when we moved down here and then these little things you can't even see called sea lice (microscopic jellyfish larvae some believe they are) started showing up on south Florida shores. They are a weird phenomenon-some people aren't affected by them and some (like me) are. You get these welts that itch so bad you can't believe it-put a quick stop on my aquatic adventures

That's a sad story sorry to hear about it.

In Michigan if you dangle a light in the water, you attract minnows, which attract bigger fish...which attract bigger fish.

Doing this in the ocean with one's own body sounds like a not-too-advisable activity.

Damn Jimmy that sucks ,But they should have not been in the water at night at all unless they were scuba diving.The equipment can save your life or buy you some time to get away and swim to safety,But they weren't ,They were snorkling ?? at night?? thats crazy sharks eat at night and if he was splashing around even underwater it sends off a signal that is like a dinner bell for a shark.I snorkle alot and have in many different place but never I mean never at night. I hope it was something else besides a shark cuz if it were a shark they will never find him and his family would suffer badly.At least if he is found they can have a proper funeral.

That is some tragic news. although I'm not sure I see the logic behind snorkling at night.

I took a cruise last April with Carnival to Turks and Caicos, Bahamas and one of their private islands called Half Moon Cay. While we were at Half Moon Cay, we were sitting on the beach when a bunch of Carnival employees all started getting on their radios and hauling ass towards a spot on the other side of the beach. Turns out a guy had been snorkling at one end and somehow got sucked under. Two other snorklers found him and he was dead by the time they pulled him out of the water. Rushed him on the ferry to the Cruise ship but it was too late. Guy had a wife and a 2 year old who on the beach. Disheartening to say the least. You go for a good time and don't expect to suddenly have someone you know die. I imagine it's the same way for the fellow he was snorkling with.

Archived