Why does Congress give a rat's a** about Spygate?

docdhc

I hate the Patriots and am glad to see them getting heat by Arlen Spector, but when you think about it, why the hell does a US Senator care about an NFL team stealing defensive signals. Did he lose money on the Pats or is he just a disgruntled Eagle's fan pissed off about the Super Bowl three years ago? This really should be a league matter and maybe the Senate should concentrate on things more important to the American people like ending the war, fighting terrorism, or fixing the economy.

I hate the Patriots and am glad to see them getting heat by Arlen Spector, but when you think about it, why the hell does a US Senator care about an NFL team stealing defensive signals. Did he lose money on the Pats or is he just a disgruntled Eagle's fan pissed off about the Super Bowl three years ago? This really should be a league matter and maybe the Senate should concentrate on things more important to the American people like ending the war, fighting terrorism, or fixing the economy.

I CAN explain it in one word..Grandstanding. But, I WILL explain it in a few more than one haha...It basically comes down to the Senate Judiciary Committee wanting to gain publicity like those involved in the MLB steroid case. Specter gives his excuse that Goodell burning the tapes could put the league's antitrust exemption at risk (which could bring the whole cable compant nfl network thing into it but thats a whole other headahce) and he feels the NFL has a service to uphold to the american public. Bottom line is that he doesn't give a **** about football, he said himself he is going to miss the game because he'll be playing squash, he just wants a platform to speak on. So i'll end this exactly how i started it...Grandstanding

This really should be a league matter and maybe the Senate should concentrate on things more important to the American people like ending the war, fighting terrorism, or fixing the economy.

Why do the American people give a rat's a** about the super bowl? Maybe the American people should concentrate on things more important. ;)

My above post was an off the cuff remark, which was way off base and i hadn't had time to do any type of research on it but since than here is basically what i found out (i'm pretty willing to admit when i'm wrong and i was definately wrong on this one haha);

I was unaware that Specter had spoke out against the NFL in the past few months, most notably about the television packages the NFL runs. If Goodell did indeed destroy credible evidence of past cheating than he and the Pats could have mucked it up for the rest of the NFL real good and Specter is right on the money.

He said he was going to introduce legislation in the next session in hopes of eliminating the league's freedom from antitrust laws and if it turns out that Goodell did indeed destroy important documents that taints The patriots, than the Senate could have more ammo to strip the NFL of their antitrust exemption. If you think that the senate should have somethign better to do Ie. healthcare, school systems etc. than your looking at the wrong branch of the senate. This is the Sentiate Judiciary Committe and one of their jobs is to uphold the antitrust laws and we are lucky that the NFL still has one. If they get rid of it you can wave goodbye to players staying in college for 3 years, you'll see more upstart leagues, the NFL will lose out on money with the cable companies and than that will only cause more bickering amongst the players of how they distribute the earnings for the year etc.

There is plenty of presedence already set as well; a few years ago the Senate said that the NFL was acting as a monopoly, which obviously we would be due to the antitrust exmeption, during the USFL law suite and the maurice clarett law suite. In 2007 the senate passed Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2007 stating that they had provided unreliable services while charging unfair prices etc. There aren't too many competing leagues against the NFL, but there certainly have been those who have tried.

Bottom line is, that the NFL has unrestrained monopoly power and if they wish to keep it they will need to avoid things like spygate and the like. I don't pretend to be an expert on these types of cases, but from the little research i've done on it Specter actually has an obligation to look into this situation, the fact he's an eagles fan is just a poor coincidence.

I think you are right, it does come down to antitrust laws, and with some of the stuff the NFL is pulling with its network to eventually monopolize the TV coverage, I can see congress's interest. The only thing is, the NFL is one of the few things in this country that works really well, and the government will probably screw it up. If the Pats take the heat, though, I am all for it, because I think they really are cheating bastards who probably gained a competitive advantage that allowed them to win super bowls they didn't deserve.

Why do the American people give a rat's a** about the super bowl? Maybe the American people should concentrate on things more important. ;)

Speaking for myself, I don't know why I care so much about the super bowl, but I do, and I will be miserable if the Pats win. On the other hand, there is a time for work and a time for play, and I just think the Senate should do work, and let the Senators play on their own time.

My above post was an off the cuff remark, which was way off base and i hadn't had time to do any type of research on it but since than here is basically what i found out (i'm pretty willing to admit when i'm wrong and i was definately wrong on this one haha);

I was unaware that Specter had spoke out against the NFL in the past few months, most notably about the television packages the NFL runs. If Goodell did indeed destroy credible evidence of past cheating than he and the Pats could have mucked it up for the rest of the NFL real good and Specter is right on the money.

He said he was going to introduce legislation in the next session in hopes of eliminating the league's freedom from antitrust laws and if it turns out that Goodell did indeed destroy important documents that taints The patriots, than the Senate could have more ammo to strip the NFL of their antitrust exemption. If you think that the senate should have somethign better to do Ie. healthcare, school systems etc. than your looking at the wrong branch of the senate. This is the Sentiate Judiciary Committe and one of their jobs is to uphold the antitrust laws and we are lucky that the NFL still has one. If they get rid of it you can wave goodbye to players staying in college for 3 years, you'll see more upstart leagues, the NFL will lose out on money with the cable companies and than that will only cause more bickering amongst the players of how they distribute the earnings for the year etc.

There is plenty of presedence already set as well; a few years ago the Senate said that the NFL was acting as a monopoly, which obviously we would be due to the antitrust exmeption, during the USFL law suite and the maurice clarett law suite. In 2007 the senate passed Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2007 stating that they had provided unreliable services while charging unfair prices etc. There aren't too many competing leagues against the NFL, but there certainly have been those who have tried.

Bottom line is, that the NFL has unrestrained monopoly power and if they wish to keep it they will need to avoid things like spygate and the like. I don't pretend to be an expert on these types of cases, but from the little research i've done on it Specter actually has an obligation to look into this situation, the fact he's an eagles fan is just a poor coincidence.

POTW.

Speaking for myself, I don't know why I care so much about the super bowl, but I do, and I will be miserable if the Pats win. On the other hand, there is a time for work and a time for play, and I just think the Senate should do work, and let the Senators play on their own time.

Oh well, bread and circuses. No point worrying about stuff I can't control. I'll be in the arcade, playing Lucky Balls.

I don't see much of a nexus between the anti-trust exemption and spygate, sorry. It's just a BS grandstanding excuse.

they get mega tax breaks, and perks based on this,,if NFL is nothimg more than WWF than Congress will pull the perks and say Go f**k yourself..

Archived