Biggest CHOKE job in the history of sports

It does have some relevance. Not too long ago there was a thread on here and people were claiming that the Patriots could lose, but couldn't "choke" because they hadn't choked before and therefore had proven they weren't "chokers". The Jeter Yankees obviously had proven they weren't "chokers", so there is the analogy.

i dont see any relevance,,past seasons teams have no bearing on a particular season,,none

here are Tx's comments

Tx Official Abuse & Crow-Eating Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, let me say in my 33 years as a Pats fan, this is by far the toughest loss to deal with. The Pats choked bigtime yesterday.

Second, 18-0 means absolutely nothing. You play the game to win the Super Bowl and nothing else matters. The Pats failed to do that.

Lastly, lets give credit where credit is due. The Giants played an outstanding game yesterday and deserved the win, the Pats did not.

Couple observations:

1) I have said it all year long. Brady and the Pats struggle against 4-3 defenses when pressure comes from the front 4. The Giants DLine dominated the game yesterday.

2) Matt Light and Nick Kaczur absolutely sucked yesterday. They got beat off the edge, inside and bull rushed. Pathetic performance by those two.

3) Tyree's catch is right up there (if not better due to game circumstances) than Swann's catch against ther Cowboys). Harrison was all over him, knocked the crap out of him, and he still caught the football. Penominal play.

4) Asante Samuel had the chance to seal a win for the Pats but dropped the pick. Big-time players make big plays in those situations. Asante did not come through.

5) How the hell can the Pats defense let the Hobbit go one-on-one with Plax at the end of the game? Where the hell was the safety help? You just do not let Burris beat you. Stupid.

6) Eli Manning will be a top 5 QB for years to come. He played with ice in his viens for 60 minutes. Even his INT should have been a completion.

7) Pathetic offensive game plan, specifically, the inability to adjust to what the Giants were doing. The entire 2nd half, Brady should not have taken more than a 3-step on every single attempt. The underneath routes were there, but McDaniels/Brady did not adjust.

8) Richard Seymour and Ty Warren were invisible the entire game.

9) Pats LB's looked old, tired and slow. Pats need a major overhaul at this position during the off-season.

10) WTF was BB doing wearing that red sweatshirt?

here are Tx's comments

Tx Official Abuse & Crow-Eating Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, let me say in my 33 years as a Pats fan, this is by far the toughest loss to deal with. The Pats choked bigtime yesterday.

Second, 18-0 means absolutely nothing. You play the game to win the Super Bowl and nothing else matters. The Pats failed to do that.

Lastly, lets give credit where credit is due. The Giants played an outstanding game yesterday and deserved the win, the Pats did not.

Couple observations:

1) I have said it all year long. Brady and the Pats struggle against 4-3 defenses when pressure comes from the front 4. The Giants DLine dominated the game yesterday.

2) Matt Light and Nick Kaczur absolutely sucked yesterday. They got beat off the edge, inside and bull rushed. Pathetic performance by those two.

3) Tyree's catch is right up there (if not better due to game circumstances) than Swann's catch against ther Cowboys). Harrison was all over him, knocked the crap out of him, and he still caught the football. Penominal play.

4) Asante Samuel had the chance to seal a win for the Pats but dropped the pick. Big-time players make big plays in those situations. Asante did not come through.

5) How the hell can the Pats defense let the Hobbit go one-on-one with Plax at the end of the game? Where the hell was the safety help? You just do not let Burris beat you. Stupid.

6) Eli Manning will be a top 5 QB for years to come. He played with ice in his viens for 60 minutes. Even his INT should have been a completion.

7) Pathetic offensive game plan, specifically, the inability to adjust to what the Giants were doing. The entire 2nd half, Brady should not have taken more than a 3-step on every single attempt. The underneath routes were there, but McDaniels/Brady did not adjust.

8) Richard Seymour and Ty Warren were invisible the entire game.

9) Pats LB's looked old, tired and slow. Pats need a major overhaul at this position during the off-season.

10) WTF was BB doing wearing that red sweatshirt?

all above true,,its tough when you dont have film on coaches signals or pre game walkthru film :rl:

I dont consider the Yankees a bigger collapse for a few reasons.

the teams play each other 18 times a year and ten again in the playoffs. After 22 games at that point a comeback is not hard to believe. The playoffs are the best of the best as far as teams go.

The mets lost to multiple teams for a month basically to cough up a lead.

both teams needed to win one game, and the Mets had plenty more chances to win that one game and couldnt do it.

The Pats is the biggest choke in sports history because of te fact that EVERYONE was saying they would win. They crushed just about everyone all year. Hardly anyone gave the Giants a chance to win, they were the perfect team cruising for perfection with the Dreamboat heading the ship, only to be sunk by an iceberg called the Giant Defense. Tis is a choke job the Heimlich maneuver couldnt cure.

What???? It had only happened twice in history, both in hockey, a team that good should of won at least one especially with the WS on the line. The Yankees were 3 outs away from the WS twice and blew it vs. a team they beat 19-8 on the road to make it 3-0. They had all the momentum and they blew it.

Playoff chokejob >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Regular Season chokejob

No one outside crazy Sox fans thought they could win 2/3 games much less the series, people were picking the Giants just because of week 17 and what the Giants did in the playoffs up to that point.

all above true,,its tough when you dont have film on coaches signals or pre game walkthru film :rl:

Bingo! I've never seen the Pats (online) looked so confused...except when they played the Phins a couple of years back and got blew out!. Theres no doubt in my head they've been cheating/spying these years.

This wasnt a choke. They got beat because of great individual efforts by several Giants players at the end of the game -- Manning, that receiver who made the great catch etc.

For all the fun we're having gloating over the Pats loss you might want to keep in mind that despite what many here have labled as sucky line play, poor game planning/ coaching, etc, that the Pats drove the ball the length of the field in the games final minutes to put up a go ahead touchdown that appeared to have won them the game.

It was the Giants unwillingness to roll over (like everyone else has for the Pats) when falling behind late that won them the game. The Pats didnt choke -- though Assante Samuel did fail to seal the game with a pick when he had the chance on that last drive.

This wasnt a choke. They got beat because of great individual efforts by several Giants players at the end of the game -- Manning, that receiver who made the great catch etc.

For all the fun we're having gloating over the Pats loss you might want to keep in mind that despite what many here have labled as sucky line play, poor game planning/ coaching, etc, that the Pats drove the ball the length of the field in the games final minutes to put up a go ahead touchdown that appeared to have won them the game.

It was the Giants unwillingness to roll over (like everyone else has for the Pats) when falling behind late that won them the game. The Pats didnt choke -- though Assante Samuel did fail to seal the game with a pick when he had the chance on that last drive.

i dont think pats choked,,

Giants were better team sunday and probably last 4 weeks of season to boot..

the lack of coaches signals film and game day walkthru film finally took its toll..

Merriweather too. IMO his was easier and almost resulted in another circus catch by Tyree.

How is this NOT a choke? Please, tell me.

The New England Patriots were 18-0, on the verge of becoming the first every 19-0 team ever and only the second ever undeffeated team. They were heavily favored by 12 points and instead they sat on the Giants' jock straps and spinned. They spinned all night long. They lost the last game of the season after having a "perfect" remainder of the season.

How is this not a CHOKE job? They CHOKED. Asante Samuel when he dropped that easy interception, CHOKED. The Patriots defense in the 4th quarter, CHOKED. Bill Belichick, CHOKED, because of his **** game plan and the Offensive Line, CHOKED.

I'm not taking anything away from the Giants, they turned it on come December and got hot at the right time and are a very young team that will be competiting for a while as long as their heads don't go too high, but with Tom Coughlin leading the way I'd say they're safe with that.

However, this Patriot team had all the chances and opportunities in the world and they CHOKED.

It's going to take alot more than that to wrestle that mantle away from the Yankees.

I gotta agree. While I do believe the Patsies choked it was in onegame. The Yanks on the other hand choked in 4 straight games. In my book it's not even close. The Yankees still retain the title.

Merriweather too. IMO his was easier and almost resulted in another circus catch by Tyree.

Merriweather is the perfect example of why they say DBs are just WRs without hands. If that guy caught half of what hit him in the hands this season he would have had 5 picks.

How is this NOT a choke? Please, tell me.

The New England Patriots were 18-0, on the verge of becoming the first every 19-0 team ever and only the second ever undeffeated team. They were heavily favored by 12 points and instead they sat on the Giants' jock straps and spinned. They spinned all night long. They lost the last game of the season after having a "perfect" remainder of the season.

How is this not a CHOKE job? They CHOKED. Asante Samuel when he dropped that easy interception, CHOKED. The Patriots defense in the 4th quarter, CHOKED. Bill Belichick, CHOKED, because of his **** game plan and the Offensive Line, CHOKED.

I'm not taking anything away from the Giants, they turned it on come December and got hot at the right time and are a very young team that will be competiting for a while as long as their heads don't go too high, but with Tom Coughlin leading the way I'd say they're safe with that.

However, this Patriot team had all the chances and opportunities in the world and they CHOKED.

I was just over at Patsfan and even they are calling it a choke. Actually they're calling it the biggest choke in sports history which is a bit much. I was LMAO. Great fans over there, everyone is getting thrown under the bus. :biggrin:

I was just over at Patsfan and even they are calling it a choke. Actually they're calling it the biggest choke in sports history which is a bit much. I was LMAO. Great fans over there, everyone is getting thrown under the bus. :biggrin:

Choking would be the Pats blowing a 17-7 lead and losing 20-17. Choking would be Brady throwing 3 picks. Great a defensive back misses a pass. It happens in every game. Could he have caught it? Yes. Should he have caught it ? Yes.. But the should have could have goes both ways. If Eli hits Burress on that little scramble instead of overthrowing him, maybe he goes for 40 yards..

If Steve Smith makes that catch the Giants could have scored a TD or at least a FG. The if this and that theories just don't fly with choking.

No, the Giants manhandled the Pats all game long. You don't choke when you really are never the better team in a game.

All season long, even in close games, it was like the Pats just knew they weren't going to lose. Yesterday, it was the Giants who just never felt like they were going to lose.

The Pats didn't choke. They were just outplayed by a better team yesterday. They were outcoached. They were out hustled.

If the Giants played the Pats again, the Pats might win.. But who knows. All I know is yesterday, the Giants were the better team, not the Pats. So while it is one of the biggest upsets in SB history, it's far from a choke job. Choking would mean the Pats had another excuse to lose. Sorry but there were no excuses. The Giants just were better yesterday.

Merriweather is the perfect example of why they say DBs are just WRs without hands. If that guy caught half of what hit him in the hands this season he would have had 5 picks.

That non pick very well might have cost the Patsies the game.

That non pick very well might have cost the Patsies the game.

It's impossible to single out just one thing. There are plenty of ifs that IF they had gone the other way things would have been different but they didn't.

Choking would be the Pats blowing a 17-7 lead and losing 20-17. Choking would be Brady throwing 3 picks. Great a defensive back misses a pass. It happens in every game. Could he have caught it? Yes. Should he have caught it ? Yes.. But the should have could have goes both ways. If Eli hits Burress on that little scramble instead of overthrowing him, maybe he goes for 40 yards..

If Steve Smith makes that catch the Giants could have scored a TD or at least a FG. The if this and that theories just don't fly with choking.

No, the Giants manhandled the Pats all game long. You don't choke when you really are never the better team in a game.

All season long, even in close games, it was like the Pats just knew they weren't going to lose. Yesterday, it was the Giants who just never felt like they were going to lose.

The Pats didn't choke. They were just outplayed by a better team yesterday. They were outcoached. They were out hustled.

If the Giants played the Pats again, the Pats might win.. But who knows. All I know is yesterday, the Giants were the better team, not the Pats. So while it is one of the biggest upsets in SB history, it's far from a choke job. Choking would mean the Pats had another excuse to lose. Sorry but there were no excuses. The Giants just were better yesterday.

Why did they get "manhandled" the entire game? The Pats should have been the better team by far, yet they got pushed around. Sometimes you choke before you get off the bus.

I have a tough time calling this an epic choke job for the ages because there was no single moment that the Pats should have done some particular thing and didn't. That's why the Yanks spitting up the four game lead doesn't pop right into my mind as choking like Buckner. The Yanks choke was much more profound. Difference is that the Yankees had to underperform for four straight games, while the Pats merely had to be outplayed for ope night.

Why did they get "manhandled" the entire game? The Pats should have been the better team by far, yet they got pushed around. Sometimes you choke before you get off the bus.

I have a tough time calling this an epic choke job for the ages because there was no single moment that the Pats should have done some particular thing and didn't. That's why the Yanks spitting up the four game lead doesn't pop right into my mind as choking like Buckner. The Yanks choke was much more profound. Difference is that the Yankees had to underperform for four straight games, while the Pats merely had to be outplayed for ope night.

I hate the phrase, but the Giants really did

Between last year's debacle against the Colts and the Super Bowl, the Pats have just about pulled even with the 2004 Yankees for the biggest gag job.

It is going to be interesting how all this falls out. You have the gag job. you have the whole "SpyGate II" looking like it is going to come to a head real soon. If Dr. Evil gets himself suspended or decides to take a year off to let this stuff blow over the Pats could be headed for a downfall.

It may not happen this year considering the state of the AFC East right now but their days as Champions are pretty much over.

Archived