Do You Know Who's Laughing Loudest Tonight?

Smizzy

The Chargers, while they did make the AFC Championship, are a team who seem to be in chaos every offseason. New coaches, new players, and so on. The GM seems to be smart when it comes to bringing in players, but keeping players and coaches around is another story. And Rivers, um.... He hasn't been that impressive. Great heart showed in the championship game, but I've yet to be impressed by his performances.

The Jets.. well they are the Jets..

So Jets vs Colts at this point is far in favor of the Colts. They have one super bowl win, a couple of AFC Championship games, 12-13 win seasons every year, and they have a shot at the super bowl every year since like 2002.

The Giants made the playoffs 3 years in a row. And now they won a super bowl in Eli's 4th season and beat an 18-0 team who everybody and their damn brother said were super bowl champs back in June. Everybody and their damn brother already printed 19-0 on books, brochures, newspapers, and so on.

I would say you are right. Talk about a guy who could stick his finger at people. Archie is that guy. His sons are super bowl champs and the other teams his sons could have gone too seem to always be in turmoil, even if they go 10-6.

Archie Manning...He is the reason Peyton stayed in school (to avoid being drafted by the Jets #1) and he is the reason Eli isn't a San Diego Charger. Now both of his sons have a Ring.

Well played ,Archie....Well Played.

Until that ends the Jets will always be a 2nd class outfit in the league and in this city. I don't think our owner or FO is capable of changing it either.

Until that ends the Jets will always be a 2nd class outfit in the league and in this city. I don't think our owner or FO is capable of changing it either.

Winning cures all. If the Jets win a Super Bowl, they no longer are just in the shadow of the Giants. Kind of like Eli did today. He's still Peyton's little brother. But he's a super bowl MVP who just beat an 18-0 team. Even if Peyton goes on to win 4 more super bowls and ELi barely makes the playoffs, he still won this year.

Same could be said if the Jets win. Namath won that one super bowl and is still a hero. All it takes is to win. But until then, the Jets are the laughing stock who still play in "Giants Stadium." I just wish they approved that Stadium in NY. Because until they do win, they are always going to be in the Giants shadow. Yeah the new stadium won't be called Giants Stadium, but then again, the current stadium isn't exactly called Giants Stadium but the media and people around the US still call it that.

Archie Manning...He is the reason Peyton stayed in school (to avoid being drafted by the Jets #1) and he is the reason Eli isn't a San Diego Charger. Now both of his sons have a Ring.

It seems I remember Archie calling Parcells to ask him if Peyton came out would he make him the #1 pick and Parcells told him to tell him to stay in school because he was going to trade the pick.He said the Jets were more than one player away.

While I loved Archie as a player I still resent that draft day crap he pulled with the Chargers. I was SO glad they drafted Eli anyway. Trade worked out for both teams, Giants got their rings and Chargers got 4 Pro Bowlers in the deal.

I guess we know who is getting picked on at the next Manning family event....Cooper.

:rl: Oh how Id love to be there....

Peyton: Hey Eli....let me see your SB ring.

Eli: Sure....show me your SB MVP trophy.

Cooper: (all pissed off) Please pass the gravy !

As I understand it, Peyton stayed in school because Parcells was NOT going to draft him #1. He didn't want to break in another rookie QB on only a 3-year plan, and felt that a 1-15 team needed more than 1 player so he was going to trade down.

Further, there looked like a chance that trade-down could have been to the Saints, where Archie rotted for all of those years. (The "draft value chart" was not strictly adhered to back then & a jump from #10 to #1 wasn't implausible for New Orleans. Just look at the crappy compensation the Jets got for dropping from #1 to #6 and then from #6 to #8. We got an extra 3rd-rounder & a couple of late-rounders. Worst draft-day trade ever in terms of value).

Archie & Parcells are buddies. He knew his son was going to get picked #1 & therefore would be going to an awful team with probably an awful HC. Even though there was FA and a salary cap, it hadn't taken hold so much yet; it was still the era of NFL dynasties & a doormat was likely to remain a doormat for some time. But Parcells coming to the Jets that very year was a dream matchup to Archie...until Parcells turned him down. And to make matters worse (for the Jets), Tuna told Archie in advance that he was not going to select him, and then Peyton doesn't declare for the draft, making the trade-down compensation that much less.

The Mannings act like spoiled babies, and the San Diego thing was the worst of it. But blame for Peyton not ending up in Jets green does not fall on the Mannings. That one was on Tuna, the master GM.

Archived