THE NEW JETS STADIUM: Mayor Mike may flip for Queens site!

BaumerJet

MIKE'S STADIUM FLIP: I'LL CONSIDER QUEENS

By TOM TOPOUSIS, DAVID SEIFMAN and KENNETH LOVETT

In a surprising new twist, Mayor Bloomberg yesterday said for the first time that he would "consider" the possibility of an Olympic stadium in Queens instead of on Manhattan's West Side.

"We will consider it," Bloomberg said in a surprising response to a question about a Queens option during a Crain's New York breakfast for the city's top business executives.

Until yesterday, the mayor and other administration officials had flatly rejected any suggestion of building a stadium for the Jets and the Olympics anywhere other than on the far West Side.

Some critics of the West Side stadium plan have been urging the mayor for months to look at other possible sites.

Despite opening the door to Queens, Bloomberg immediately made it clear he didn't think the International Olympic Committee would go for a late change in stadium plans, explaining, "You put in a bid, you have to follow the rules and deliver what was promised.

"They want the venue in Manhattan because around the world they think of Manhattan and its access to media and its access to transportation as something very attractive to them," the mayor said.

The potential Queens site, 110 acres next to Shea Stadium that is now home to junk yards and auto-repair shops, was included as an alternative stadium site in the city's bid to be the national candidate to lure the 2012 Olympics.

But the Queens alternative was dropped once the city made it to the international competition, where the IOC does not require a back-up in the bid proposal.

Jets spokesman Matt Higgins insisted that building at the Willets Point site in Queens is "not a viable option."

"Even if you were to pursue that option . . . you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars of public investment," Higgins said.

Bloomberg's drive to build a West Side stadium has run into major obstacles and delays, including the MTA's decision to open up bidding for the development rights over the West Side rail yards, and from state lawmakers who remain unconvinced about the project.

Last week, the head of the IOC's site-evaluation commission said that if New York City is to stand a chance of landing the 2012 Games, it must have the project approved before the IOC vote in July to pick the host city.

But that pronouncement has failed to move two key Albany lawmakers whose approval is needed for the project to go forward.

State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) said the unusually frank remarks from the IOC's Nawal El Moutawakel did not impress him. "The mayor entertained her at the mansion and told her what to say," he claimed.

State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno (R-Rensselaer) also said yesterday he doesn't feel any pressure to act on the plan until after the IOC has voted.

LINK: MIKE'S STADIUM FLIP: I'LL CONSIDER QUEENS

Building a new stadium in Queens would be my first choice. Shea is a dump. The Mutts could use a new home. They have the space for it. And it's only a short subway ride away. Do it.

Hey GGG please address the Mets with proper spelling!

Shea is a dump and needs to be replaced.

This actually would be great If it would work out that they could build stadium in Queens.

Building a new stadium in Queens would be my first choice. Shea is a dump. The Mutts could use a new home. They have the space for it. And it's only a short subway ride away. Do it.

Since the subway ride is so short, you should just get Mets season tickets as well.

Maybe we can make this a contest here. Win a date to the Mets game with GGG.

Sounds like a plan to me. I will run it by Tommy buy at the next board meeting.

The winner gets to go to a game with you. The loser has to go to two games with you!

You're using my old jokes, Max. Leave the funny stuff to my two boys, TomShane and PatsfanTX. You're well out of your element, bro.

Since the subway ride is so short, you should just get Mets season tickets as well.

Maybe we can make this a contest here. Win a date to the Mets game with GGG.

Sounds like a plan to me. I will run it by Tommy buy at the next board meeting.

The winner gets to go to a game with you. The loser has to go to two games with you!

There was a time when I was your main "flunky". So much has changed.

You're using my old jokes, Max. Leave the funny stuff to my two boys, TomShane and PatsfanTX. You're well out of your element, bro.

I wonder how Woody feels about this

According to a JETS spokesman this morning, the JETS have stated that should they move the Olympic stadium to Queens - all bets are off & the Organization will not invest anything into the project.

Jets spokesman Matt Higgins insisted that building at the Willets Point site in Queens is "not a viable option."

"Even if you were to pursue that option . . . you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars of public investment," Higgins said.

Archived