Why all the hatred for Thomas Jones?

Boozer76

In all honesty, what were those of you that think Jones stinks expecting? Do you realize he basically compiled the exact same stats that he did when he was in CHI? Sure, he had less TD's and his avg per carry were slightly down, but is that not to be expected considering how bad our line was? In 2 less starts with us than he had with CHI he only had 91 less yards than with CHI. Truth is he did fantastic considering how bad our OL is. I just don't understand the hate for the guy.

In all honesty, what were those of you that think Jones stinks expecting? Do you realize he basically compiled the exact same stats that he did when he was in CHI? Sure, he had less TD's and his avg per carry were slightly down, but is that not to be expected considering how bad our line was? In 2 less starts with us than he had with CHI he only had 91 less yards than with CHI. Truth is he did fantastic considering how bad our OL is. I just don't understand the hate for the guy.

Wow, I feel a whole lt better about Thomas Jones now. You know what else makes me feel good about him? The fact that we could be using the $5 mil a year we're paying him to sign a stud free agent to improve our defense and/or O-line.

Wow, I feel a whole lt better about Thomas Jones now. You know what else makes me feel good about him? The fact that we could be using the $5 mil a year we're paying him to sign a stud free agent to improve our defense and/or O-line.

Leaving the Jets with no full time RB. Brilliant

Oh, and everyone knows a stud FA will only cost 5 Mil

We could have signed Jamal Lewis, who was and still is a better back, for a fraction of the cap room TJ would have cost plus we wouldn't have had to give up the #37 pick. Chris Brown could have done the same job as TJ this past year and he would have cost nothing.

Bottom Line: all the Jets needed was someone decent to split carries with Leon Washington. Not waste cap room and a pick on a 29 year old RB who isn't that great.

You can get a very good mid-level FA for $5 mil a year. I'm not sure but I think Tuck in his new deal with the Giants is only making $6 mil a year and he's a beast.

We could have signed any scrap heap "full time" running back for far less than 5 mil a year. Considering Jones is scrap heap, i think we got f'in screwed.

Jones can't catch, nor can he hit the line with any speed unless there is a hole. Leon hit the same non-existant holes and carried a little under a 5 yard average. THe dancing bear was a terrible pick up, i'd rather have stuck with barlow, at least he was getting forward instead of dancing behind clement, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Any of you actually watch the Miami game? Jones was in, it was three and outs, unless Kellen made a play (which was probably dropped anyway), or Leon was in and we scroed points. Oh yeah, and i know Jones scored in that game (wow, dolphins, good work) but the defense set that clown up with short yardage.

We wasted money, and a season on this chump. Meanwhile teams like the packers build their line first, then fill in running backs till they find one that doesn't hit the hole like a *****. Screw Jones.

I don't understand the hate either. Thomas Jones was not the problem last year. He performed behind a bad OL and everyone gets on him, yet they defend CP or KC using the very same excuse.

I don't defend KC either. I think it's ridiculous how people basically reward him and TJ b/c they played behind a bad O-line like it's a badge of honor or something.

CP is different. He's taken this team with basically the same O-line minus Kendall to a 10-6 record and the playoffs.

We could have signed any scrap heap "full time" running back for far less than 5 mil a year. Considering Jones is scrap heap, i think we got f'in screwed.

Jones can't catch, nor can he hit the line with any speed unless there is a hole. Leon hit the same non-existant holes and carried a little under a 5 yard average. THe dancing bear was a terrible pick up, i'd rather have stuck with barlow, at least he was getting forward instead of dancing behind clement, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Any of you actually watch the Miami game? Jones was in, it was three and outs, unless Kellen made a play (which was probably dropped anyway), or Leon was in and we scroed points. Oh yeah, and i know Jones scored in that game (wow, dolphins, good work) but the defense set that clown up with short yardage.

We wasted money, and a season on this chump. Meanwhile teams like the packers build their line first, then fill in running backs till they find one that doesn't hit the hole like a *****. Screw Jones.

Amen.

I don't defend KC either. I think it's ridiculous how people basically reward him and TJ b/c they played behind a bad O-line like it's a badge of honor or something.

CP is different. He's taken this team with basically the same O-line minus Kendall to a 10-6 record and the playoffs.

CP struggled bad this season and I think all three (CP, KC and TJ) all struggled because of the OL issues.

Thomas Jones is nothing more than average. Sometimes this season he didn't even look good enough to call him average. The O-line was bad, but even when they did make holes TJ rarely took advantage of the oppurtuinites. He dances behind the line way too much and has very little burst when hitting the hole. Breaks very little tackles (for a back his size he should be a real bruiser) and can't do **** at the goaline.

I don't rate him at all.

Thomas Jones is nothing more than average. Sometimes this season he didn't even look good enough to call him average. The O-line was bad, but even when they did make holes TJ rarely took advantage of the oppurtuinites. He dances behind the line way too much and has very little burst when hitting the hole. Breaks very little tackles (for a back his size he should be a real bruiser) and can't do **** at the goaline.

I don't rate him at all.

Not to mention he's 29 going on 30. That's old for a back. It would be entirely different if he was 22.

He gets a pass from you based upon our horiffic OL play......But Chad gets blamed for the sh1tty season even though out putrid OL gave him no time to throw the ball?

I don't get it....well I do, but you can't have it both ways brother

Well you can, if you choose to

He gets a pass from you based upon our horiffic OL play......But Chad gets blamed for the sh1tty season even though out putrid OL gave him no time to throw the ball?

LOL, People who hate Chad are blind to the O-line. It's all on him all the time, even when KC is in.:rl:

For Jets fans suffering from Clemens/TJ homeritis the OL excuse only applies to them and not Chad.

Let's face facts:

CP > KC

Leon Washington > TJ

Regardless of what state the OL is in.

For Jets fans suffering from Clemens/TJ homeritis the OL excuse only applies to them and not Chad.

Let's face facts:

CP > KC

Leon Washington > TJ

Unfortunately I think you're right.

I still hope KC can turn out to be better than Chad but TBH right now, Chad is the much better QB.

I think we all know that Chad is not the answer....I have accepted that

But these guys have just been blind to the fact the OLine has sucked all year. The unit as a whole killed our entire offense, from Chad to Jerricho all players were hurt by our OLine play

We could have signed Jamal Lewis, who was and still is a better back, for a fraction of the cap room TJ would have cost plus we wouldn't have had to give up the #37 pick. Chris Brown could have done the same job as TJ this past year and he would have cost nothing.

Bottom Line: all the Jets needed was someone decent to split carries with Leon Washington. Not waste cap room and a pick on a 29 year old RB who isn't that great.

You can get a very good mid-level FA for $5 mil a year. I'm not sure but I think Tuck in his new deal with the Giants is only making $6 mil a year and he's a beast.

Hindsight being 20/20 if this team signed Jamal Lewis last off season how do you think the fan reaction here at JN would have taken it -- not very well is my guess

also Lewis would not have done jack sh-t with our line --

Chad has been a ****hole QB for years. This was no new revelation this year.

Hindsight being 20/20 if this team signed Jamal Lewis last off season how do you think the fan reaction here at JN would have taken it -- not very well is my guess

also Lewis would not have done jack sh-t with our line --

This isn't hindsight, me and alot of people were killing this trade when it happened.

Who the f_ck cares about internet fan reaction? Why? Because Jamal Lewis doesn't walk old grannies across the street? He would have cost nothing compared to TJ and is a better back.

As for your second point, we all know TJ went gangbusters last year with this O-line. What did he have for the season? 2 touchdowns?

never said anything about comparing the 2 -- just saying Lewis would have done no better or worse

to be honest I dont care about either running back and really never saw the reasons for all the Jones hoopla - woulda coulda shoulda dont mean anything now

as for the subject - Do I hate Jones - NO -- DO I wish we had a better running back - YES

Not to mention he's 29 going on 30. That's old for a back. It would be entirely different if he was 22.

I would have to agree on this point, his age was a big red flag in the whole deal.

I had originally thought he would bring more to our offense than he did, but he hasnt really justified his contract yet. Hopefully this changes with some better O-line play.

I would have to agree on this point, his age was a big red flag in the whole deal.

I had originally thought he would bring more to our offense than he did, but he hasnt really justified his contract yet. Hopefully this changes with some better O-line play.

It was one season. Its not like he has under performed for years here.

The Thomas Jones trade wasnt necessary, but unlike 90% of the second guessing GMs here at this forum, I actually said that the day we traded for him.

And he's not a terrible back, nor is he the reason why we went 4-12.

But I'm still laughing at the people who loved the move and thought it would get us to the superbowl, and who are now killing the move and saying Thomas Jones sucks. You know those people I am talking about, f'ing morons.

The Thomas Jones trade wasnt necessary, but unlike 90% of the second guessing GMs here at this forum, I actually said that the day we traded for him.

But I'm still laughing at the people who loved the move and thought it would get us to the superbowl, and who are now killing the move and saying Thomas Jones sucks. You know those people I am talking about, f'ing morons.

Not me, I always hated that trade.

Thomas Jones is supposed to fill the shoes of Curtis Martin that is the thought process of many here. Thomas Jones is a good running back who certainly has alot left in his tank.Not even Curtis Martin could have had any success with the O-Line we had last year.I think that played a major fact in Curtis Martin not returning.

Lets be patient with Thomas Jones hes a workout warrior and a team player.Did anyone hear him complaining last year about the obvious O-Line issues.Ths guy is gonna score alot of TDs for the Jets once the issues are worked out.

I kept saying you don't fix a run game by getting a mediocre RB, that you need O-line. I was ignored and shouted down. Now all of a sudden we have people demanding O-line with a top 6 pick, and I think that's stupid too. I remember specifically stating "This isn't Madden" when we made that trade.

TJ was not a good move, and it will be even worse if we get the chance to get McFadden, pass on him because we have TJ, and Mcfadden goes on to become one of the best backs in the league.

Man I am really, really, really worried about the state of the Jets right now. I honestly don't think there is much Tangini can do to turn this ship around quickly. I felt last offseason was very critical to build off the 10-6 year, replace the ****ty players and hopefully get some good players sold on a rising program. You can't sell a rising program now, the players hate Mangini because of his style, and now they all probably think he is a retard too. I hope KC takes Coles and Chad off our hands, that would go a long way into giving us a chance. I honestly feel that Coles is going to have a SHARP decline, maybe not this coming year but I'm almost certain within one or two after that.

I kept saying you don't fix a run game by getting a mediocre RB, that you need O-line. I was ignored and shouted down. Now all of a sudden we have people demanding O-line with a top 6 pick, and I think that's stupid too. I remember specifically stating "This isn't Madden" when we made that trade.

TJ was not a good move, and it will be even worse if we get the chance to get McFadden, pass on him because we have TJ, and Mcfadden goes on to become one of the best backs in the league.

Man I am really, really, really worried about the state of the Jets right now. I honestly don't think there is much Tangini can do to turn this ship around quickly. I felt last offseason was very critical to build off the 10-6 year, replace the ****ty players and hopefully get some good players sold on a rising program. You can't sell a rising program now, the players hate Mangini because of his style, and now they all probably think he is a retard too. I hope KC takes Coles and Chad off our hands, that would go a long way into giving us a chance. I honestly feel that Coles is going to have a SHARP decline, maybe not this coming year but I'm almost certain within one or two after that.

Or it could be amazing that we pass on McFadden becuase of TJ and McFadden becomes another mediocre back with 20+ mill guaranteed. I don't understand how everyone is so gung-ho 100% positive that he is going to be the next great thing. I remember people clamoring for Reggie Bush and now hindsight shows it wasn't the best choice.

I don't understand how people can complain about the jets getting thomas for 5 million a year when they could get jamal lewis for less, yet turn it around and want mcfadden. First, i don't think jamal lewis would have had the type of season with us that he had with the browns (they have a fantastic oline) and if he did, he would demand more money like he's doing now. Secondly, why pay all this guaranteed money for McFadden when you can have another good back for much, much, much less. Who is to say McFadden is going to be better than Stewart, Mendenhall, charles etc. I don't like selecting a back that high in the draft unless you have very few holes, a good oline and are set financially.

I tend to think a lot of people are either very young and impatient or just impatient. Mangini and tannenbaum have been here two years; they brought a talent-stricken team to the playoffs in their first year and have had two productive drafts. I understand people have complained we didn't do anything in FA last year, but who would you have gotten last year? Pay leonard davis 7+ mill a year to play OG or Eric steinbach 7+ mill to play guard? These two guys were drastically overpayed and there really wasn't much else in terms of Oline help. It's all fine and dandy to criticize them for not bringing anyone in, but before this year there wasn't a plethora of players to bring in. Atleast they brought in Gaay and Andrews so they could possibly get a jump on them this year during FA.

We lost 7 games by 7 points or less this year with one of the 5 hardest SOS in the league. A competent LG, RT and OLB could have had a drastic impact on our team this year.

Thomas Jones is supposed to fill the shoes of Curtis Martin that is the thought process of many here. Thomas Jones is a good running back who certainly has alot left in his tank.Not even Curtis Martin could have had any success with the O-Line we had last year.I think that played a major fact in Curtis Martin not returning.

Lets be patient with Thomas Jones hes a workout warrior and a team player.Did anyone hear him complaining last year about the obvious O-Line issues.Ths guy is gonna score alot of TDs for the Jets once the issues are worked out.

by the shoes of Curtis Martin, do you mean the shoes of mediocrity? Because i think Jones did a damn fine job of that.

Mama mia, people are still crying for Chad? He won one stinking game last year. At least Kellen deserves more time (How many Giants fans were ready to throw Eli under the bus just a while ago, and it's his fourth year). We know what Chad can and can't do and he isn't as good as he used to be, and even then, he was nothing special.

I'm sorry, but are you reminiscing to fictional days of yore when Curtis Martin allegedly did markedly better with a worse OL than we fielded in '07? He was never a make-something-out-of-nothing back in his time here, never did crap in his career without an above-average OL, and neither has/will Jones. Hardly an insult; virtually every RB - pro bowlers included - is like that.

Or it could be amazing that we pass on McFadden becuase of TJ and McFadden becomes another mediocre back with 20+ mill guaranteed. I don't understand how everyone is so gung-ho 100% positive that he is going to be the next great thing. I remember people clamoring for Reggie Bush and now hindsight shows it wasn't the best choice.

I don't understand how people can complain about the jets getting thomas for 5 million a year when they could get jamal lewis for less, yet turn it around and want mcfadden. First, i don't think jamal lewis would have had the type of season with us that he had with the browns (they have a fantastic oline) and if he did, he would demand more money like he's doing now. Secondly, why pay all this guaranteed money for McFadden when you can have another good back for much, much, much less. Who is to say McFadden is going to be better than Stewart, Mendenhall, charles etc. I don't like selecting a back that high in the draft unless you have very few holes, a good oline and are set financially.

I tend to think a lot of people are either very young and impatient or just impatient. Mangini and tannenbaum have been here two years; they brought a talent-stricken team to the playoffs in their first year and have had two productive drafts. I understand people have complained we didn't do anything in FA last year, but who would you have gotten last year? Pay leonard davis 7+ mill a year to play OG or Eric steinbach 7+ mill to play guard? These two guys were drastically overpayed and there really wasn't much else in terms of Oline help. It's all fine and dandy to criticize them for not bringing anyone in, but before this year there wasn't a plethora of players to bring in. Atleast they brought in Gaay and Andrews so they could possibly get a jump on them this year during FA.

We lost 7 games by 7 points or less this year with one of the 5 hardest SOS in the league. A competent LG, RT and OLB could have had a drastic impact on our team this year.

Stop with the schedule crap. People use the excuse that the Ravens were good when the Jets played them, even though that team won like 4 or 5 games all year. Yet the same time nobody says the Redskins, Giants, and Eagles weren't exactly great when the Jets played them. Their SOS was so great cause they had two games against the Pats and one against the Cowboys. The rest of their schedule wasn't impressive at all.

When you play the Dolphins twice, the Chiefs, the Ravens, the Bills, you can't really use the excuse that the schedule was tough.

Using the schedule as an excuse is what losing teams do. If you don't finish 8-8 in the NFL in this day and age, your front office did a bad job and your coaches did a bad job. And like I said somewhere else, if they aren't vastly improve this year, what is the next excuse? It doesn't take 10 years to build a team. This is year 3 coming up, if they aren't vastly improved, this regime deserves to be gone.

It's funny how people say they did a great job with no talent in Year One, yet in Year Two with a lot of their own talent they went 4-12. You really can't have it both ways.

Archived