Patriots | Samuel wants to stay

Smizzy

Patriots | Samuel wants to stay

Fri, 8 Feb 2008 07:08:10 -0800

Pat Bigold, of the Boston Globe, reports New England Patriots CB Asante Samuel, who is on the verge of hitting free agency, would like to stay with the team. "The fans love me and I love them back," he said. "The organization loves me and, hopefully, we can work it out."

:character0255:

Unless he's willing to sacrifice some major $$$$$. He is not going to be a Pat next season.

Word. Adios Asante. I feel very fortunate that it doesn't require millions of dollars to support my family. Professional athletes are such douchebags.

Word. Adios Asante. I feel very fortunate that it doesn't require millions of dollars to support my family. Professional athletes are such douchebags.

Why are they douchebags?? Becuase they are a commodity and if they are outperforming someone else at their job they feel they should get paid respective to their performances??? Just to throw out a blanket statement about pro-athletes because some are vocal about wanting to get paid is pretty as.sanine. If someone was underperforming you at your 9-5 job or wherever you work and was getting paid more wouldn't you be upset as well?? I agree that they get paid more than they should be, but thats not the point. The point is he/they are a commodity and if he/they are underpaid compared to their value, than they have every right to want to get full market value, its the beauty of living in a free market society.

Now, if you want to say that Asante Samuel a New England patriot is a douchebag than i'll 100% support you, but not because he wants to get paid, the matter which with he goes about it is what i don't like.

Why are they douchebags?? Becuase they are a commodity and if they are outperforming someone else at their job they feel they should get paid respective to their performances??? Just to throw out a blanket statement about pro-athletes because some are vocal about wanting to get paid is pretty as.sanine. If someone was underperforming you at your 9-5 job or wherever you work and was getting paid more wouldn't you be upset as well?? I agree that they get paid more than they should be, but thats not the point. The point is he/they are a commodity and if he/they are underpaid compared to their value, than they have every right to want to get full market value, its the beauty of living in a free market society.

Now, if you want to say that Asante Samuel a New England patriot is a douchebag than i'll 100% support you, but not because he wants to get paid, the matter which with he goes about it is what i don't like.

I shouldn't say all but any of them that play the family card. Give me a f#cking break. There are people in this world that are able to support their families on a fraction of what these guys make. I immediately lose all respect for any player that plays that card. Just come out and say it. You want to be the highest paid ever. Don't play the sentimental bull$hit that everyone can see through. F#ck him and f#ck Ty Law too.

I shouldn't say all but any of them that play the family card. Give me a f#cking break. There are people in this world that are able to support their families on a fraction of what these guys make. I immediately lose all respect for any player that plays that card. Just come out and say it. You want to be the highest paid ever. Don't play the sentimental bull$hit that everyone can see through. F#ck him and f#ck Ty Law too.

Haha now that i'll 100% agree with.

It isn't just his present family.

It is every Samuel that comes after him as well.

According to Don Banks at SI this is what Asante is looking for.

1. Who will hit the biggest jackpot in free agency?

New England cornerback Asante Samuel was franchise-tagged by the Patriots last year, but unless there's an unlikely meeting of the minds in Foxboro, he'll be the most coveted name in free agency this year. Samuel has had back-to-back standout seasons and someone likely will give him $11 million a year, topping the eight-year, $80 million contract (including $22 million guaranteed) that last year's No. 1 free agent -- cornerback Nate Clements -- received from San Francisco. Samuel is a superior playmaker compared to Clements, and one of his most likely suitors remains Eric Mangini and the Jets.

Would you guys be happy with forking over that kind of cash for him?

The Jets are not one player away...and at this point their biggest problems are on the line of scrimmage..so short answer not so sure he is worthy of Clements money from the Jets

Was Clements worthy of Clements money?

Either way, signing Asante would not be the best move for the Jets.

Oline and Dline is what makes teams contenders, not CB's.

No, not for that kind of money.

There are way too many other pressing needs right now and his servies in our secondary won't matter for much because with our pathetic pass rush the QB will eventually find someone open.

I agree with you Gainzo...the Niners were desperate to make a splash and try to buy back some credibility after losing guys like Julian Peterson. Unfortunately his contract sets some parameters...for some reason I can see him going to a team like Dallas or Washington

I agree with you Gainzo...the Niners were desperate to make a splash and try to buy back some credibility after losing guys like Julian Peterson. Unfortunately his contract sets some parameters...for some reason I can see him going to a team like Dallas or Washington

Yeah, that was an incredibly stupid move from the Niners. Clements was never that good a CB and was nowhere near worth that type of money.

Samuel is a better CB IMO, and will probably look for even more.

Yeah, that was an incredibly stupid move from the Niners. Clements was never that good a CB and was nowhere near worth that type of money.

Samuel is a better CB IMO, and will probably look for even more.

The crazy thing is he will probably get it.

80-90 mil? Hes good but IDK about that kind of green.

I agree. It is the Latrelle Sprewell Proclamation.

Here's a question for everyone. If we give that type of a contract to Samuel what message does that send to the rest of the team? Also don't you think it's going to influence Kerry Rhodes contract?

How and WHY haven't we re-signed him yet??? He should be priority numero uno!

If Rhodes is not done prior to the free agent period beginning I am going to be pissed. As for what the Jets give Samuel the rest of the players would probably happy they are bringing in talent to help them win. Now if the talent does not upgrade their problem areas could raise some eyebrows

I would have no problem giving him that kind of cash, as long as there's plenty left for some fa ol! Someones gonna pay him, why not us? But don't breakthe bank on one player, we need more!

Absolutely not.

Yeah, we can use a better #2 CB, but OL and Pass Rushers (DE,OLB), should be our main priority this offseason. After all, nobody can guard receivers for 5 or 6 seconds a play.

I think the defensive secondary (along with RB's and WR's) are one of a very few strong spots for the Jets. Give those guys a solid pass rush and an offense that doesnt go 3 and out every time, and our defense becomes very respectable.

Archived