Jericho Returns Tonight!!!

Mavrik

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the "Jericho" experiment is about to come to an end.

Sources have told SyFy Portal that CBS is gearing up to air the series finale version of the post-apocalyptic series on March 25, one of two endings shot that would either allow a cliffhanger going into a third season, or a proper amount of closure for "Jericho" fans who fought hard to force CBS to reconsider its previous decision to cancel the show.

"There are a lot of people here who really care about what happens to 'Jericho,' and I think we all wanted to see it succeed," the source, who asked not to be identified, said. "Numbers are numbers, and [CBS] had to do what [CBS] had to do."

Ratings for the first two episodes were well below even some of the worst numbers the show experienced at the end of the first season which helped prompt network officials to move toward cancellation. Although it is competing in a post-"American Idol" scheduling environment, "Jericho" struggled to compete with shows that were either in reruns, or not part of mainstream viewing habits.

At the same time, audiences in key demographics of 18 to 49 -- a demo that isn't typically attracted to CBS for many of its other programmings -- were noticeably absent from the first pair of viewings from the show, and there is little chance they'll suddenly return in the coming weeks.

But the decision isn't quite final yet ... network executives still have room to change their mind.

"If the audience can come back to the show in the next two episodes, and I mean a lot, [CBS] may reconsider," the source said. "Fans definitely have a say, and they had a say last summer [with the 'Nuts to Jericho' campaign], but I think the final decision this time is going to come down to hard numbers, and they're just not there for 'Jericho.'"

Please note that none of this has been confirmed by CBS, and should be treated as any rumor would.

"Jericho" airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET on CBS.

If CBS had made a final decision on "Jericho," they have yet to share it with the showrunner.

Carol Barbee, who executive produces the post-apocalyptic show, said that ratings tonight could be the determining factor on whether or not CBS will move forward with a third season o the show that has been struggling since its fan-supported return.

"I think this next airing will probably tell the tale," Barbee told SciFi Wire. But even if CBS does decide to move on from the series, Barbee said she'll be looking to find a new home for the series.

"Our numbers have been OK, [but] not great," she said. "Our [demographic] has been very good, they've been happy with that. But we'll see. If we trend up this week, I think we'll look pretty good. If we don't trend up, or if we stay the same, I think we'll have to wait and see what they want to do with us. I mean, they're going to air all seven, it's just a matter of how they feel about producing more."

If there is interest from other networks, Barbee said it's the fans she's thanking for that.

"There were other people who were interested in us to begin with, and now, I think, the whole nuts campaign, and also with the amazing reviews that we've gotten for these seven episodes, I feel like we have made this franchise more valuable to a cable network who would want to take us on as a niche market.

One of those channels could be SciFi Channel itself, which earlier this month signed an agreement to air episodes from the show's first and second seasons. However, other speculation says that likely the best fit for "Jericho" if it were to continue would be SciFi's sister channel, USA Network. or tnt

Last week, SyFy Portal reported that sources within the programming executive arm at CBS are already preparing for a series finale of the show, although they remain interested in numbers for the next two episodes airing Feb. 26 and March 4. That report, of course, has not been confirmed by anyone at CBS, and should continue to be treated as any rumor would.

Just watched the new episode tonight.....how can this show be getting bad reviews? The acting isn't the best but at least its somewhat original......

I don't think the reviews are all that bad, it's just the ratings that are the problem.

If CBS had made a final decision on "Jericho," they have yet to share it with the showrunner.

Carol Barbee, who executive produces the post-apocalyptic show, said that ratings tonight could be the determining factor on whether or not CBS will move forward with a third season o the show that has been struggling since its fan-supported return.

"I think this next airing will probably tell the tale," Barbee told SciFi Wire. But even if CBS does decide to move on from the series, Barbee said she'll be looking to find a new home for the series.

"Our numbers have been OK, [but] not great," she said. "Our [demographic] has been very good, they've been happy with that. But we'll see. If we trend up this week, I think we'll look pretty good. If we don't trend up, or if we stay the same, I think we'll have to wait and see what they want to do with us. I mean, they're going to air all seven, it's just a matter of how they feel about producing more."

If there is interest from other networks, Barbee said it's the fans she's thanking for that.

"There were other people who were interested in us to begin with, and now, I think, the whole nuts campaign, and also with the amazing reviews that we've gotten for these seven episodes, I feel like we have made this franchise more valuable to a cable network who would want to take us on as a niche market.

One of those channels could be SciFi Channel itself, which earlier this month signed an agreement to air episodes from the show's first and second seasons. However, other speculation says that likely the best fit for "Jericho" if it were to continue would be SciFi's sister channel, USA Network. or tnt

Last week, SyFy Portal reported that sources within the programming executive arm at CBS are already preparing for a series finale of the show, although they remain interested in numbers for the next two episodes airing Feb. 26 and March 4. That report, of course, has not been confirmed by anyone at CBS, and should continue to be treated as any rumor would.

After reading this, it kind of hit me. I think USA would be the perfect place for this show to go.

SPOILER!!!

Holy ****...that was an insane ending...didn't expect bonnie to go all "come get some" style like that...Hard to fight off people when you're def.

Yeah that was nuts. She even managed to take out three of them. I got a feeling Stanley is going to go bat$hit crazy in the next episode.

ratings went down this week

NBC claimed the top spot at 10 p.m. with a "Law & Order: SVU" rerun, 6.5/11. "Primetime" scored a 4.5/8 for ABC, beating out the 3.9/7 for "Jericho" on CBS.

DAM IT

i could care less about big brother doing horrible cause that is in it's 9th season and the cast sucks

BUT THIS is a great show and people should be watching

ratings went down this week

NBC claimed the top spot at 10 p.m. with a "Law & Order: SVU" rerun, 6.5/11. "Primetime" scored a 4.5/8 for ABC, beating out the 3.9/7 for "Jericho" on CBS.

DAM IT

i could care less about big brother doing horrible cause that is in it's 9th season and the cast sucks

BUT THIS is a great show and people should be watching

This is NOT good. When a RERUN beats out your butt your shows in trouble.

Wow, that preview pump me up even more for next week's episode...how in the hell is this show doing so bad?

Keep in mind more people watched last season online than they did on tv, hopefully this seasons the same....

Word. I can't stand the head guy from Ravenwood. Stanley needs to kill his a$$.

Wow, the writers must have heard me. :lol: I didn't think he was going to do it for a second. Another excellent episode. It isn't looking good for the series though. It really seems they're moving this story along pretty fast like they're leading up to the finale in a couple weeks. If they do that, you can stick a fork in the series because it would be hard to carry the show over to another station and pick up with a story that already pretty much ended. :evil:

Wow, the writers must have heard me. :lol: I didn't think he was going to do it for a second. Another excellent episode. It isn't looking good for the series though. It really seems they're moving this story along pretty fast like they're leading up to the finale in a couple weeks. If they do that, you can stick a fork in the series because it would be hard to carry the show over to another station and pick up with a story that already pretty much ended. :evil:

:biggrin: Yeah you got your wish. As soon as I saw the gun in Stanleys hand I knew that Bonnies death would be avenged. I like the touch at the end of hanging the scum from a tree. Next weekd preview looks like Jake will be in a bit of trouble.

Not necessarily. I don't think they've set up the show to be impossible to continue. The conspiracy plotline will be all but done, but considering it's becoming more and more likely they're going to introduce the 'second american revolution' by seasons end, I could see a third season being focused primarily on that.

Sci-Fi picked up the first two seasons from CBS, if they were willing to take the show it would be easier to continue on with the story.

Archived