Jets | Team will likely release McCareins

Smizzy

good riddance. So many wasted opportunities to be the hero. He did himself in.

I thought for sure once JMac was out of Mangini's doghouse that he'd have a good year. Then when Coles got hurt I thought " now's the time where he shows us what he's got" . Well I'm still waiting. The sooner he leaves the better. Let's free up that cap $$. He's done basically zippo since he's been here. Adios JMac.

I thought for sure once JMac was out of Mangini's doghouse that he'd have a good year. Then when Coles got hurt I thought " now's the time where he shows us what he's got" . Well I'm still waiting. The sooner he leaves the better. Let's free up that cap $$. He's done basically zippo since he's been here. Adios JMac.

He's not freeing up any cap space. I'm sure that Cimini doesn't have any insider info and I think JMac may stick around another year. I'm pretty sure that JMAC costs us $2M this season, but more (something like $3M) if he's cut and $4M if he's cut before June 1. Either he'll be traded for anything or they'll hold on and pray he gets hurt and put him on IR. Otherwise they are eating an extra $1-2M in cap space.

Too bad it equals addition by subtraction to our salary cap too.

It's not like we don't have the room and it's not like we're going to spend any of this money we got. We're going to end up like the Devil Rays with a 20 million dollar payroll. We're gonna end up being 100 mill under the cap pretty soon.

It's not like we don't have the room and it's not like we're going to spend any of this money we got. We're going to end up like the Devil Rays with a 20 million dollar payroll. We're gonna end up being 100 mill under the cap pretty soon.

Why not? It's already been reported that Trufant is looking for more money than Clements. How much will Samuel be seeking? Samuel and Andrews/Lilja might very well take up the bulk of our cap space and the #6 overall will likely be a big chunk. You want an OT also? It's all gone. If we want to be players we are going to need to spend. Sure we can cut/restructure DRob/Barrett and Barton, but those guys all contributed this past season. Dropping an extra mil or two on cutting JMac isn't too sensible. If it actually costs more to cut him before June 1, it'd be dumb to do so. Of course, the bonus money would transfer to next year's cap, so they'll probably dump him to avoid that and keep the space for next year. All depends on who they are trying to sign this year.

Why don't you think they'll spend the money they've got? They did it last year. I thought they were $10M under and were idiots, but they restructured people and spent it to create this big cap space this season.

He's not freeing up any cap space. I'm sure that Cimini doesn't have any insider info and I think JMac may stick around another year. I'm pretty sure that JMAC costs us $2M this season, but more (something like $3M) if he's cut and $4M if he's cut before June 1. Either he'll be traded for anything or they'll hold on and pray he gets hurt and put him on IR. Otherwise they are eating an extra $1-2M in cap space.

See , Now here's a guy that has a good understanding of the NFL Cap system. Sometimes you just can't cut a guy because he sucks, He has a big fat contract from the last FO staff..It has to be done when it makes fiscal sense...Don't give me the trade him line..who wants his contract and lack of productivity..no one.

See , Now here's a guy that has a good understanding of the NFL Cap system. Sometimes you just can't cut a guy because he sucks, He has a big fat contract from the last FO staff..It has to be done when it makes fiscal sense...Don't give me the trade him line..who wants his contract and lack of productivity..no one.

You are most correct. No way he (JMac) gets traded. He has absolutely no trade value.

I initially thought that also, since we'd redone his deal a bit in early November to have his salary only count like $1M (down from $3M). I have it on my computer somewhere. So it gave the appearance that releasing him was (now) a total wash. But then I read in one of the articles a couple of months ago that he's due a roster bonus (or one of those "other" bonuses - workout/nose-picking/etc) of $2M in the offseason, maybe as early as March 3rd (start of FA). So it seems we will then save that $2M in 2008 by releasing him prior to June 1st, with no residual cap hits in the future.

I have absolutely no idea why this was redone the way it was. Seems to me if he was due $3M in salary, the cap hit is the same as $1M salary and $2M roster bonus. Only difference is we lose the flexibility of cutting him later rather than earlier. It just ties our hands to make a move really early as opposed to at our leisure.

In this case it probably doesn't matter. I can't see anyone even offering us a 7th-rounder for him with a $3M hit coming his new team's way & another awful season.

So glad we pissed away our 2nd-rounder and a $30M contract on this never-was. BTW, Justin Smiley was taken like 3 picks later & we BADLY needed a guard at draft-time. Kendall hadn't been released from Arizona yet. So we used our 2nd AND 4th rounders on WR's that year.

I initially thought that also, since we'd redone his deal a bit in early November to have his salary only count like $1M (down from $3M). I have it on my computer somewhere. So it gave the appearance that releasing him was (now) a total wash. But then I read in one of the articles a couple of months ago that he's due a roster bonus (or one of those "other" bonuses - workout/nose-picking/etc) of $2M in the offseason, maybe as early as March 3rd (start of FA). So it seems we will then save that $2M in 2008 by releasing him prior to June 1st, with no residual cap hits in the future.

I have absolutely no idea why this was redone the way it was. Seems to me if he was due $3M in salary, the cap hit is the same as $1M salary and $2M roster bonus. Only difference is we lose the flexibility of cutting him later rather than earlier. It just ties our hands to make a move really early as opposed to at our leisure.

In this case it probably doesn't matter. I can't see anyone even offering us a 7th-rounder for him with a $3M hit coming his new team's way & another awful season.

You dick! After I voted for you as "most knowledgeable poster! That **** I wrote came directly from one of your cap posts. I was under the impression that the difference between cutting him now and later was the pro rata on the initial $7M bonus. His contract is around $1M this year, $2.5 in roster bonus due in March. Guess that means he is gone by March.

Only way (more reasonably!) to get even a seventh would be if the roster bonus counted against the cap anyway, in which case I guess we could pay the bonus and trade him. At $1M he might be a value for some teams and he had indicated he would renegotiate to go back to the Titans. Does a roster bonus count against the cap if the team doesn't pay it?

I guess this means he is gone ASAP. He indicated as much in January interviews. Maybe his agent agreed to the "roster bonus" thing in exchange for a little cap relief, to get him cut earlier and make it easier for him to catch on elsewhere. His time here is done, but he may be okay with a change of scenery. Hell, people want to give Charles Rogers another shot, why not JMac?

You dick! After I voted for you as "most knowledgeable poster! That **** I wrote came directly from one of your cap posts. I was under the impression that the difference between cutting him now and later was the pro rata on the initial $7M bonus. His contract is around $1M this year, $2.5 in roster bonus due in March. Guess that means he is gone by March.

Only way (more reasonably!) to get even a seventh would be if the roster bonus counted against the cap anyway, in which case I guess we could pay the bonus and trade him. At $1M he might be a value for some teams and he had indicated he would renegotiate to go back to the Titans. Does a roster bonus count against the cap if the team doesn't pay it?

I guess this means he is gone ASAP. He indicated as much in January interviews. Maybe his agent agreed to the "roster bonus" thing in exchange for a little cap relief, to get him cut earlier and make it easier for him to catch on elsewhere. His time here is done, but he may be okay with a change of scenery. Hell, people want to give Charles Rogers another shot, why not JMac?

Well, too bad. It was mentioned a couple of times on JN. Next time pay closer attention.

I meant why did the JETS redo his deal? What's in it for the Jets? I can plainly see what's in it for McCareins.

Charles Rogers was (stupidly) the #2 pick in the country. Just from that, he'll get more chances than anyone rightly deserves.

Well, too bad. It was mentioned a couple of times on JN. Next time pay closer attention.

I meant why did the JETS redo his deal? What's in it for the Jets? I can plainly see what's in it for McCareins.

Charles Rogers was (stupidly) the #2 pick in the country. Just from that, he'll get more chances than anyone rightly deserves.

I can only hope that Tannenbaum negotiated some cap relief for the Jets into that deal. One thing you have to say for this regime is that they appear to be willing to cut no corner to save a dollar. I can't imagine they redid McCareins deal just to make him happy.

I can only hope that Tannenbaum negotiated some cap relief for the Jets into that deal. One thing you have to say for this regime is that they appear to be willing to cut no corner to save a dollar. I can't imagine they redid McCareins deal just to make him happy.

I see what happened. What threw me off is that he redid his deal before the season, not in November:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=860

8/31/2007: Renegotiated 2004's seven-year, $31 million contract. The deal included a $7 million signing bonus. 2008: $1.0872 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2009: $3.2598 million, 2010: $2.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

It seems the move lowered his future base salaries. Won't matter b/c after a stinker 2007 he won't see a dime of it from the Jets.

With the old CBA ending, I believe that at the time in 2004 we were only allowed to spread his SB over 6 years. Well 4 of those years are over, leaving 2/6 of his SB - or $2.33M left to come off the cap. So that amt will accelerate to 2008's cap, but we save his $1.1M salary and $2.5M RB. Net for cutting JMac prior to March 3rd = $1.25M savings.

If we WERE able to spread his initial SB over 7 years, then $3M of it has to still come off the cap. So then the savings would only be just under $600K; barely a blip on a $116M salary cap.

The advantage in cutting him is not the 2008 cap savings. Rather, it is the roster spot and the cap savings in 2009-2010.

So glad we gave up a 2nd round pick for this clown instead of drafting Justin Smiley (when we had question-marks at best at both OG positions). Smiley got like a $1M SB on a 4 year deal worth about $2.5M total to start for 4 years until he tore his labrum this past yr. Over that same span we've paid JMac almost $14M and he lost his starting job after 2 seasons.

I see what happened. What threw me off is that he redid his deal before the season, not in November:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=860

8/31/2007: Renegotiated 2004's seven-year, $31 million contract. The deal included a $7 million signing bonus. 2008: $1.0872 million (+ $2.5 million roster bonus due in March), 2009: $3.2598 million, 2010: $2.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

It seems the move lowered his future base salaries. Won't matter b/c after a stinker 2007 he won't see a dime of it from the Jets.

With the old CBA ending, I believe that at the time in 2004 we were only allowed to spread his SB over 6 years. Well 4 of those years are over, leaving 2/6 of his SB - or $2.33M left to come off the cap. So that amt will accelerate to 2008's cap, but we save his $1.1M salary and $2.5M RB. Net for cutting JMac prior to March 3rd = $1.25M savings.

If we WERE able to spread his initial SB over 7 years, then $3M of it has to still come off the cap. So then the savings would only be just under $600K; barely a blip on a $116M salary cap.

The advantage in cutting him is not the 2008 cap savings. Rather, it is the roster spot and the cap savings in 2009-2010.

So glad we gave up a 2nd round pick for this clown instead of drafting Justin Smiley (when we had question-marks at best at both OG positions). Smiley got like a $1M SB on a 4 year deal worth about $2.5M total to start for 4 years until he tore his labrum this past yr. Over that same span we've paid JMac almost $14M and he lost his starting job after 2 seasons.

Stop crying over spilled milk! You are preaching to the choir. It's been years since anybody has defended the JMac deal as anything less than a complete disaster. We are just trying to get out of it with the least amount of further damage to our already torn anuses.

Archived