Coles claims he's been lied to...

K2C

This is exactly why as a GM you can't let your emotions cloud your judgement. You actually just made an argument that we should give a player who is banged up, injured and on the downward part of his career an extra two years because he got hit hard?? This is the NFL, coles was getting paid extremely well to go out and take those hits. He got "a $13 million bonus in 2003, a $5 million bonus in 2005 and total base salaries of more than $9 million over the last five years, meaning he's averaged about $5.5 million a year since the expiration of his rookie contract while averaging about 950 receiving yards a season." ~ http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/nfl/new-york-jets/

Don't forget, this is the same coles who said he would never forget that the jets took a chance on him coming out of college, and repayed them by going to the redskins for the bigger money. The same Coles who came back to the jets in search of more money and a chance to win, the same coles who said he wasn't sure how much longer he was going to be able to play and the same coles who said he wasn't going to make this a media spectacle. No one has any idea what LC was promised by our FO, but all of a sudden we are willing to throw our FO under the buss because coles comes out and complains he's not gonna get an extra few years added on to his already substantial contract. Also, if it's true they promised him the rest of his 11 million dollars and two years, that is pretty impressive as far as most front offices are concerned.

People are constantly criticizing tannenbaum and mangini for making terrible moves, but some are now calling for us to give an injury riddled aging reciever more years and guaranteed money?? The logic sounds kind of backwards. I love coles as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to give him more money just because i like him. It's a business, as he has showed throughout the years, and you can't expect our front office to make a deal that isn't in the best interest of our team.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should try to resign him but the reasons you listed are all wrong. You don't resign a player for his heart or because he's taken so many hits (that actually worries me a bit). If we resign Coles it's because he's a damn good WR who still has a lot of production left in him.

So your saying Coles killing himself for YOUR team to win a football we should not resign him because he took too many big hits?.. Wayne Crebet took alot of hits in his playing days but i can bring up 10 fast videos of Coles being poped in the skull more than #80 ever has.

My reasons are not wrong. Coles is a locker room leader. He has emotional outburst Coles is not hurting his team atleast. He is not making his teamates hate him or lose respect of him. If he lost respect of his team mates bye bye Coles but im not getting rid of the Heart and soul of this team

So your saying Coles killing himself for YOUR team to win a football we should not resign him because he took too many big hits?.. Wayne Crebet took alot of hits in his playing days but i can bring up 10 fast videos of Coles being poped in the skull more than #80 ever has.

My reasons are not wrong. Coles is a locker room leader. He has emotional outburst Coles is not hurting his team atleast. He is not making his teamates hate him or lose respect of him. If he lost respect of his team mates bye bye Coles but im not getting rid of the Heart and soul of this team

Ever hear of something called a concusion????:roll:

Ever hear of something called a concusion????:roll:

Im the new member in here and i know that but you'll get more of a response from me when you talk logic and talk football not by asking pointless questions.

Im just bringing this up for furture refering when you ask again because i wont response next time to that. We call that high school drama, If you are man enough to talk football and im sure we all have good thoughts on football lets talk if not then its garbage to me simple okay kid?

Im the new member in here and i know that but you'll get more of a response from me when you talk logic and talk football not by asking pointless questions.

Im just bringing this up for furture refering when you ask again because i wont response next time to that. We call that high school drama, If you are man enough to talk football and im sure we all have good thoughts on football lets talk if not then its garbage to me simple okay kid?

LOL, what????

How are concussions not related to football????:confused0058:

FYI - giving Chrebet the extension he got was equally stupid. Fan favorite or not, we paid him like a #1 WR & he wasn't one. I mean he got more up-front bous money in 2002 than we gave Jerricho Cotchery half a decade later. In 2002, the NFL salary cap was $71M; in 2007 it was $109M. What would you say if we gave a multiple-concussed, proven-to-not-be-a-#1-even-in-his-prime WR a $9-10M signing bonus?

So now we want to give a player with a history of serious injuries, not the least of which are his multiple concussions and a history of turf toe that will never be 100% without risky surgical intervention.

Screw these guys. And by these guys I include Tannenbaum as well. What is happening is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what they wanted: the players are strong-arming the team.

- Kendall: complained to the media until he got what he wanted (either a raise or a trade to a team that would give him a raise). Jets eventually caved in to these demands and STILL managed to look like cheap liars even after complying with the player's wishes.

- Moore: sat out of practice until he got what he wanted. With us & Kendall already in dispute, and because it got dragged on for so long, Moore (or his agent) correctly saw an opportunity that the Jets had absolutely no leverage; he was the only sure-to-be-there OG on the team. So the Jets caved & gave him the raise they refused to give Kendall.

- Revis: was willing to take the going rate of the players around him, of just under the deal Carriker (taken 1 pick earlier) accepted, or 5 years and about $12.5M total. We drew a line in the sand regarding a 6th year. And in doing so, we got F**KED royally. After we used a first AND a second round pick on Revis & he knew he represented half our draft (taking away most of our leverage to begin with). So after missing virtually the entire summer, Revis "caved in" to our 6-year demand and instead of a 5yr/$12.5M contract we forced on him a 6yr/$30M contract which is really a 4yr/$16M contract with a 2-year/$14M (or 1 year/$5M and then drawing up a new deal, depending on how you look at it) Jets option at the end of it. Jets balk at 5 yrs/$12.5M and instead agree to 5 yrs/$21M. Shrewd negotiator that Tannenbaum.

- Coles: still has almost HALF of his (substantial) contract remaining & either he's being a rotten sh*t, the Jets are making empty promises to everyone, or (most likely) both. So now he's taking it to the media. The thing is, unless Coles returns to the Jets in '08 with no alteration in his deal, we have lost (in players'/agents' eyes) yet again: Coles sets demands of pay me more or trade me to someone who will. Jets comply.

Unless Coles comes back to play one more year in '08 as outlined under his current contract (which represents year 4 of his 5-year deal with a significant salary of $5M), Tannenbaum needs to be demoted to just cap-manager (at most) and a real GM brought in. Because this stuff, ultimately, is all about negotiation and he seems to be losing them with regularity, particularly in the past 12 months.

FYI - giving Chrebet the extension he got was equally stupid. Fan favorite or not, we paid him like a #1 WR & he wasn't one. I mean he got more up-front bous money in 2002 than we gave Jerricho Cotchery half a decade later. In 2002, the NFL salary cap was $71M; in 2007 it was $109M. What would you say if we gave a multiple-concussed, proven-to-not-be-a-#1-even-in-his-prime WR a $9-10M signing bonus?

So now we want to give a player with a history of serious injuries, not the least of which are his multiple concussions and a history of turf toe that will never be 100% without risky surgical intervention.

Screw these guys. And by these guys I include Tannenbaum as well. What is happening is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what they wanted: the players are strong-arming the team.

- Kendall: complained to the media until he got what he wanted (either a raise or a trade to a team that would give him a raise). Jets eventually caved in to these demands and STILL managed to look like cheap liars even after complying with the player's wishes.

- Moore: sat out of practice until he got what he wanted. With us & Kendall already in dispute, and because it got dragged on for so long, Moore (or his agent) correctly saw an opportunity that the Jets had absolutely no leverage; he was the only sure-to-be-there OG on the team. So the Jets caved & gave him the raise they refused to give Kendall.

- Revis: was willing to take the going rate of the players around him, of just under the deal Carriker (taken 1 pick earlier) accepted, or 5 years and about $12.5M total. We drew a line in the sand regarding a 6th year. And in doing so, we got F**KED royally. After we used a first AND a second round pick on Revis & he knew he represented half our draft (taking away most of our leverage to begin with). So after missing virtually the entire summer, Revis "caved in" to our 6-year demand and instead of a 5yr/$12.5M contract we forced on him a 6yr/$30M contract which is really a 4yr/$16M contract. Shrewd negotiator that Tannenbaum.

- Coles: still has almost HALF of his (substantial) contract remaining & either he's being a rotten sh*t, the Jets are making empty promises to everyone, or (most likely) both. So now he's taking it to the media. The thing is, unless Coles returns to the Jets in '08 with no alteration in his deal, we have lost (in players'/agents' eyes) yet again: Coles sets demands of pay me more or trade me to someone who will. Jets comply.

Unless Coles comes back to play one more year in '08 as outlined under his current contract (which represents year 4 of his 5-year deal with a significant salary of $5M), Tannenbaum needs to be demoted to just cap-manager (at most) and a real GM brought in. Because this stuff, ultimately, is all about negotiation and he seems to be losing them with regularity, particularly in the past 12 months.

Amen

Real GM followed by a real coach

Given all the Cheating that went ondoes anyone here really want part of Mumbles coaching tree running this franchise?

Mike Tanenbaum is for the most part a sh*tty GM. In the 2 years he's had the job he's brought in 4 good players (Revis, Harris, Washington and Mangold) while bringing in a ton of sh*tty players (Clement, Von Oehlhoffen, Barlow, Schlegel, E-Smith, B-Smith, Adrian Clarke, Darian Barnes, Marques Tuiasosopo, Andre Wadsworth), gives a barely above average 30 year old RB a big conract and refuses in two years to get this team a real 3-4 Nose Tackle.

Mangini takes care of the rest by making our once decent players (Ellis, D-Rob) sh*tty in the 3-4 scheme and taking our once pro bowl LB (Vilma) and turning him into trade bait for a mid-round pick.

I love being a Jets fan.

Mike Tanenbaum is for the most part a sh*tty GM. In the 2 years he's had the job he's brought in 4 good players (Revis, Harris, Washington and Mangold) while bringing in a ton of sh*tty players (Clement, Von Oehlhoffen, Barlow, Schlegel, E-Smith, B-Smith, Adrian Clarke, Darian Barnes, Marques Tuiasosopo, Andre Wadsworth), gives a barely above average 30 year old RB a big conract and refuses in two years to get this team a real 3-4 Nose Tackle.

Mangini takes care of the rest by making our once decent players (Ellis, D-Rob) sh*tty in the 3-4 scheme and taking our once pro bowl LB (Vilma) and turning him into trade bait for a mid-round pick.

I love being a Jets fan.

Never a dull moment...

(...except during games, when we're on offense.)

This should open the door for the Jets to acquire a true #1 reciever.Coles can act like one all he wants.I like LC but he signed the original deal not me.

Mr T, pick up the phone and start canvassing. This guy cannot be extended and you cannot let him come to camp.

More from Coles rant ripping Tannenbaum

Coles says some vicious things about Mr. T. By Hoss Aultman

Posted Feb 17, 2008

Jets wide receiver Lavernanues Coles went off on the Jets and GM Mike Tannenbaum yesterday in the Newark Star-Ledger. He once again wants more money. Here is some more from his attack on Tannenbaum and the organization.

"I played hurt," Coles told reporter Hutch Hutchinson. "I ran clear-out routes for Jerricho (Cotchery). They praised me for my toughness and not worrying about my numbers. They tell me that I'm an unselfish player.

"I do everything they ask me to do and then when it comes to business, they tell me my production is down. That's not right.

"They asked me to not judge them on how they treated other players and to trust them," said Coles. "I tried to trust them until this point. But now I'm here and I'm getting slapped in the face. I tried to give the organization a fair chance.

"They said my production is down. But some of the best wide receivers in the league don't have their best seasons until they're in their 30s, (such as) Terrell Owens. I think I have four or five good years left. I just want to know where I'm going to end my career and I've made it clear I want to retire as a Jet."

Coles is set to make $11 million over the next two years, which seems like a good deal for an eight-year veteran with a lot of wear-and-tear.

Will Tannenbaum cave? Stay-tuned.

This whole coles ordeal is reminding me a lot of what chad johnson is doing over in cinci. Could he just be making waves I personally feel coles understands that his best friend, chad pennington, is most likely on the way out, he doesn't like the tough offseasons our regime runs and for some reason he feels he is being underpaid. (I personally can't get over the fact that he wants an extension on top of the two years he has left, when 2 years ago he was talking about he wasn't going to be able to play longer)

I think coles is very business savy; he understands the jets front office isn't dumb and won't give him an extra couple years and more money, so he demands the extension that they promised him (which we have no idea what is the truth), an extenstion he knows they won't give, so he than says let me look somewheres else. All he cares about is the money and not NY, he's treating this like a business, so i don't see why our team should act any differently.

Yes, I agree he is an integral part of our offense..when he's on the field. Him holding out and getting hurt will not help the team. Even though he had a very good statistical first half of the season i noticed a difference in his play, he wasn't getting the separation like he normally did. He isn't an elite reciever, as much as i like him, and i feel a tough reciever like ernest wilford or bryant johnson could come in and do a very good job replacing him as well as play on this team a lot longer. Just my opinion.

More from Coles rant ripping Tannenbaum

Coles says some vicious things about Mr. T. By Hoss Aultman

Posted Feb 17, 2008

Jets wide receiver Lavernanues Coles went off on the Jets and GM Mike Tannenbaum yesterday in the Newark Star-Ledger. He once again wants more money. Here is some more from his attack on Tannenbaum and the organization.

"I played hurt," Coles told reporter Hutch Hutchinson. "I ran clear-out routes for Jerricho (Cotchery). They praised me for my toughness and not worrying about my numbers. They tell me that I'm an unselfish player.

"I do everything they ask me to do and then when it comes to business, they tell me my production is down. That's not right.

"They asked me to not judge them on how they treated other players and to trust them," said Coles. "I tried to trust them until this point. But now I'm here and I'm getting slapped in the face. I tried to give the organization a fair chance.

"They said my production is down. But some of the best wide receivers in the league don't have their best seasons until they're in their 30s, (such as) Terrell Owens. I think I have four or five good years left. I just want to know where I'm going to end my career and I've made it clear I want to retire as a Jet."

Coles is set to make $11 million over the next two years, which seems like a good deal for an eight-year veteran with a lot of wear-and-tear.

Will Tannenbaum cave? Stay-tuned.

The biggest difference in the two, is about 5 inches and 40 pounds of muscle. TO has the body to take the beating that recievers take day in and day out, coles, as tough as he is, doesn't have the body for the constant pounding he'll take after his 30's.

Some of the Jets signings are hard to understand Jets over paided the following

1. David Barrnett

2. Justin Mcburgers

3. D-Robertson

4. Chad Pennington

These signing has killed us in the cap over the years.

- Revis: was willing to take the going rate of the players around him, of just under the deal Carriker (taken 1 pick earlier) accepted, or 5 years and about $12.5M total. We drew a line in the sand regarding a 6th year. And in doing so, we got F**KED royally. After we used a first AND a second round pick on Revis & he knew he represented half our draft (taking away most of our leverage to begin with). So after missing virtually the entire summer, Revis "caved in" to our 6-year demand and instead of a 5yr/$12.5M contract we forced on him a 6yr/$30M contract which is really a 4yr/$16M contract with a 2-year/$14M (or 1 year/$5M and then drawing up a new deal, depending on how you look at it) Jets option at the end of it. Jets balk at 5 yrs/$12.5M and instead agree to 5 yrs/$21M. Shrewd negotiator that Tannenbaum.

Some of the Jets signings are hard to understand Jets over paided the following

1. David Barrnett ($7M bonus 2004-2006)

2. Justin Mcburgers ($6M bonus 2004)

3. D-Robertson ($15M bonus 2003-2004, $3M more bonus $2006-2007, plus high salary)

4. Chad Pennington ($23M bonus 2004-2006)

These signing has killed us in the cap over the years.

Ridiculous contracts continued...

5. Wayne Chrebet ($6M bonus 2002)

6. Curtis Martin ($14M bonus 2002-2003)

7. Jason Fabini ($7M bonus 2002)

8. Aaron Beasley ($4M bonus 2002-2003)

9. Shaun Ellis ($15M bonus 2004-2006)

10. Bryan Thomas ($8M bonus 2006)

11. Thomas Jones ($12M bonus 2007, AND day-one draft pick)

12. Derrick Blaylock ($3M bonus 2005-2006)

13. Laveranues Coles ($5M bonus 2005, AND Santana Moss)

14. Kimo von Oelhoffen ($3M bonus 2006)

15. Kevin Mawae ($10M bonus 2002-2003)

16. Pete Kendall ($5M bonus 2005-2006)

17. Darelle Revis (6yr/$30M instead of 5yr/$12M. Imbeciles.)

This franchise isn't really that "cheap" per se; we just throw money around to the wrong players so it seems like we are. I mean a certain player might seem (and might very well BE) way pricey with a $20M signing bonus demand; that doesn't mean you pass on that stud just to combine that $20M in bonus money to a pair of mediocre players in Bryan Thomas & Thomas Jones instead.

You may vomit now.

While I hate the fact that Coles has gone to the media with this there has to be some ground where they can hammer something out. Now I don't have any idea what kind of a new deal he is looking for but with the team 20 something million under the cap, I think he does deserve say maybe a 3 year deal. People here when Mangini came here wondered how Coles would handle it. Well he handled it well enough to be named one of the team Captains last season.

The guy plays till he basically drops, which is alot more than you can say for guys like Ellis, D-Rob, Thomas who basically show up only in the last year of their deal.

The Kendall situation though to me is a little different because you knew this type of situation could occur because of what happend with him in Arizona.

He was a d!ck there and he became a d!ck here.

I wish there about 22 more guys who play the game like Coles on this team. Maybe then we wouldn't be 4-12.

While I hate the fact that Coles has gone to the media with this there has to be some ground where they can hammer something out. Now I don't have any idea what kind of a new deal he is looking for but with the team 20 something million under the cap, I think he does deserve say maybe a 3 year deal. People here when Mangini came here wondered how Coles would handle it. Well he handled it well enough to be named one of the team Captains last season.

The guy plays till he basically drops, which is alot more than you can say for guys like Ellis, D-Rob, Thomas who basically show up only in the last year of their deal.

The Kendall situation though to me is a little different because you knew this type of situation could occur because of what happend with him in Arizona.

I wish there about 22 more guys who play the game like Coles on this team. Maybe then we wouldn't be 4-12.

Good job Shawn...POTW nom.

That may be, but this is how I look at it:

Kevin Faulk is as integral to the Pats' team as Coles is/has been to ours. He's on the field plenty (including ST's), does a lot of dirty-work without personal accolades for the greater glory of the cheaters -- err, team. But you don't see NE throwing an 8-figure signing bonus his way because he's been the good soldier. A good soldier role that Coles feels is more deserving of repeated bonus pay than the special talents on championship-type teams who are scoring touchdowns on offense & preventing them on defense.

When we traded with Washington for him, he wanted a 5-year deal at the contract numbers he got. We gave it to him even though he was ALREADY under the contract we inherited from the Redskins. The idea, clearly, was that he would do whatever asked of him & play as hard as he could. Now the Jets have lived up to their end of the contract & so has Coles so far through 3/5 of the deal.

But here's where it gets bad:

I'm sure Coles thinks that all his teammates should play as hard as they can. Though some do not, most of them do. But when HE plays as hard as he can, it seems he feels he deserves a raise over his already-substantial contract. As though we gave him millions of dollars to be a crappy member of the team and not being such is deserving of a raise. And this is with him not shying away from talk of retirement during each of the prior two off-seasons.

I've been a HUGE Coles fan for years. But this just stinks on ice and frankly so does he. Maybe now I'm only seeing things I chose not to see:

If he only wanted to play for 3 years & then get a new deal, then sign a 3-year contract & take less up-front money. Or play the first 3 years with us under the deal we "purchased" from the Redskins with Santana Moss. But that wasn't good enough for the "warrior" Laveranues Coles. He needs to get paid. Up-front, often, and for big, big money. Enough to live in that well-documented Florida mansion the whole country is familiar with, so forgive me for not weeping over the ridiculous amount he's been overpaid in the past. Further forgive me for not siding with him in how he feels slighted somehow, because he's not being offered still MORE money for his zero pro bowls in all his Jets years. A little history:

Everyone passed on him in the draft except the Jets.

He worked his way into the starting lineup & had one very good - not GREAT - season in '02.

He bolted the Jets for a $13M signing bonus from Washington after he found the Jets' offer "insulting." In addition to overpaying so grossly to make sure the Jets didn't match it, Washington also had to give up like the #12 or #13 overall pick in the draft for this him.

Then of course Coles was such a "good soldier" to his new team after showing such love for him, right? Well after that gargantuan up-front payday, Coles - like a moping, spoiled child - pouted & complained & caused such disharmony with his HOF head coach that the Redskins were willing to absorb the humiliation of giving up a first-rounder and all that money for Coles, and further absorb an accelerated $9M cap hit just to be rid of him.

We trade (despite Moss' deficiencies) our only playmaker on offense to Washington for a player who should be playing alongside him in Jets green. Then we give him yet ANOTHER $5M up front which I still can't believe; the REASON you trade for a player still under contract is you don't HAVE to pay him a signing bonus (or a high one anyway). So we tore up this contract that would have been more favorable to us overall (since Washington paid the painful part of it) and gave him a new one that wasn't deserved AND also despite a lingering turf-toe problem that affected his production in the just-ended '04 season.

So for three years' production from Coles, we gave up a WR who would make the pro-bowl after replacing Coles in Washington, and we tore up his previous deal to give him even MORE up-front money. Then when we needed some temporary cap relief at the start of '06, we slighted the warrior Coles by giving him yet ANOTHER $3M UP FRONT.

What is our reward for this? He's calling out the JETS when he still has 2 years on that deal, when Jets even offered to GUARANTEE those last 2 years (which NO ONE does). And in doing so compares himself to one of the top WR's in NFL history that made three - THREE!!! - different QB's pro-bowlers and/or better than anyone imagined they could be.

This greedy piece of s**t can lick my balls after 5 days of not showering.

Unless we get a 2nd-rounder (fat chance), he gets nothing. He plays under his current contract or he can f'ing retire. But if does retire now, after year 3 of his 5 year deal, then he has to write the Jets a check for $2M of his amortized SB -- AND we still retain his rights until the end of the 2009 season.

Coles coming public with his disappointment that the Jets aren't redoing his agreement with 2 guaranteed years left is an absolute joke.

I feel exactly the same way I did when Kendall was making his noise.

Honor your contract.

Playing hard and playing hurt is what you're supposed to do for the amount of money being paid.

It's not above and beyond. It's expected.

I'm a Coles fan (I don't think he's a #1)...he's our #1 but compared to what consistent playoff caliber teams have...he is not a stud.

However, this attitude is not what this team needs.

We have got to get rid of the players that are entitled and continue to build a core of players that believe in the team. Coles and Kendall, by complaining about redoing deals that were recently redone, can take their services elsewhere.

Last year was rough. Our team sucked. Period. Everyone. Coaches, players, FO, Owner. Not a good year.

But in today's NFL that can change in a heartbeat. An impact draft and some youth developing can make a world of difference.

We have a young QB, young players at key positions (LT, C, LB, CB, S) and another draft ahead.

If I'm Tangini...keep getting rid of the rotten core. They had their chance and all they're doing now is looking back...not forward.

I'm sick of guys like that.

That may be, but this is how I look at it:

Kevin Faulk is as integral to the Pats' team as Coles is/has been to ours. He's on the field plenty (including ST's), does a lot of dirty-work without personal accolades for the greater glory of the cheaters -- err, team. But you don't see NE throwing an 8-figure signing bonus his way because he's been the good soldier. A good soldier role that Coles feels is more deserving of repeated bonus pay than the special talents on championship-type teams who are scoring touchdowns on offense & preventing them on defense.

When we traded with Washington for him, he wanted a 5-year deal at the contract numbers he got. We gave it to him even though he was ALREADY under the contract we inherited from the Redskins. The idea, clearly, was that he would do whatever asked of him & play as hard as he could. Now the Jets have lived up to their end of the contract & so has Coles so far through 3/5 of the deal.

But here's where it gets bad:

I'm sure Coles thinks that all his teammates should play as hard as they can. Though some do not, most of them do. But when HE plays as hard as he can, it seems he feels he deserves a raise over his already-substantial contract. As though we gave him millions of dollars to be a crappy member of the team and not being such is deserving of a raise. And this is with him not shying away from talk of retirement during each of the prior two off-seasons.

I've been a HUGE Coles fan for years. But this just stinks on ice and frankly so does he. Maybe now I'm only seeing things I chose not to see:

If he only wanted to play for 3 years & then get a new deal, then sign a 3-year contract & take less up-front money. Or play the first 3 years with us under the deal we "purchased" from the Redskins with Santana Moss. But that wasn't good enough for the "warrior" Laveranues Coles. He needs to get paid. Up-front, often, and for big, big money. Enough to live in that well-documented Florida mansion the whole country is familiar with, so forgive me for not weeping over the ridiculous amount he's been overpaid in the past. Further forgive me for not siding with him in how he feels slighted somehow, because he's not being offered still MORE money for his zero pro bowls in all his Jets years. A little history:

Everyone passed on him in the draft except the Jets.

He worked his way into the starting lineup & had one very good - not GREAT - season in '02.

He bolted the Jets for a $13M signing bonus from Washington after he found the Jets' offer "insulting." In addition to overpaying so grossly to make sure the Jets didn't match it, Washington also had to give up like the #12 or #13 overall pick in the draft for this him.

Then of course Coles was such a "good soldier" to his new team after showing such love for him, right? Well after that gargantuan up-front payday, Coles - like a moping, spoiled child - pouted & complained & caused such disharmony with his HOF head coach that the Redskins were willing to absorb the humiliation of giving up a first-rounder and all that money for Coles, and further absorb an accelerated $9M cap hit just to be rid of him.

We trade (despite Moss' deficiencies) our only playmaker on offense to Washington for a player who should be playing alongside him in Jets green. Then we give him yet ANOTHER $5M up front which I still can't believe; the REASON you trade for a player still under contract is you don't HAVE to pay him a signing bonus (or a high one anyway). So we tore up this contract that would have been more favorable to us overall (since Washington paid the painful part of it) and gave him a new one that wasn't deserved AND also despite a lingering turf-toe problem that affected his production in the just-ended '04 season.

So for three years' production from Coles, we gave up a WR who would make the pro-bowl after replacing Coles in Washington, and we tore up his previous deal to give him even MORE up-front money. Then when we needed some temporary cap relief at the start of '06, we slighted the warrior Coles by giving him yet ANOTHER $3M UP FRONT.

What is our reward for this? He's calling out the JETS when he still has 2 years on that deal, when Jets even offered to GUARANTEE those last 2 years (which NO ONE does). And in doing so compares himself to one of the top WR's in NFL history that made three - THREE!!! - different QB's pro-bowlers and/or better than anyone imagined they could be.

This greedy piece of s**t can lick my balls after 5 days of not showering.

Unless we get a 2nd-rounder (fat chance), he gets nothing. He plays under his current contract or he can f'ing retire. But if does retire now, after year 3 of his 5 year deal, then he has to write the Jets a check for $2M of his amortized SB -- AND we still retain his rights until the end of the 2009 season.

You look WAYYYYY to deep into things. ;)

Great Post.

Coles is in the wrong in every which way with what he is doing. The fact that the Jets are offering to guarentee the final two years, $11 million of his deal, WHICH NO OTHER TEAM DOES is a stand up job by the organization, especially for a receiver who suffered a couple of concussions the past few seasons and didn't play the entire 2007 season.

If he remains healthy in 2008 and puts up some good numbers, then by all means he should be given a 3 year extension. If not, then we'll see what happens in 2009.

Right now it looks like Coles could be on the trading block come Draft Day for picks.

Archived