Jets | Hobson unlikely to return

Smizzy

Yes they did and I agree Harris/Vilma will be an awesome duo.

Thats your opinion, but thankfully what you think will not happen. Jonathan Vilma is NOT a 34 Inside or Outside Linebacker. He will be traded before the start of the season and if he isn't, well then the Jets are making a tremendous mistake. Vilma has been the least productive Linebacker on this team since the 2006 season compared with Harris, Barton, Hobson and Thomas.

Thats your opinion, but thankfully what you think will not happen. Jonathan Vilma is NOT a 34 Inside or Outside Linebacker. He will be traded before the start of the season and if he isn't, well then the Jets are making a tremendous mistake. Vilma has been the least productive Linebacker on this team since the 2006 season compared with Harris, Barton, Hobson and Thomas.

I wouldn't rule it out though. I have a bad feeling he may still be here which like you said would be a huge mistake.

The Jets dont have a choice at this point but to keep Barton. He's played better in the 3-4 than most, Mangini included, thought he would. He and Harris make a good enough combo on the inside.

If the Jets dont try to resign Hobson and get rid of Barton or Vilma they wont have much left beyond Brad Kassell and Matt Chatham unless they use another high draft pick on an LB.

Even if Vilma stays and plays this season I doubt he'll be more effective in the 3-4 than last season. Plus, this is the last year of his contract and he's recooperating from surgery right. At this point he's probably untradeable and he'll walk for more money and a 4-3 after this season. Bottom line, Mangini will have wasted one of the Jets most valuable commodities.

IMO Mangini has completely mismanaged the LB corps.

The Jets dont have a choice at this point but to keep Barton. He's played better in the 3-4 than most, Mangini included, thought he would. He and Harris make a good enough combo on the inside.

If the Jets dont try to resign Hobson and get rid of Barton or Vilma they wont have much left beyond Brad Kassell and Matt Chatham unless they use another high draft pick on an LB.

Even if Vilma stays and plays this season I doubt he'll be more effective in the 3-4 than last season. Plus, this is the last year of his contract and he's recooperating from surgery right. At this point he's probably untradeable and he'll walk for more money and a 4-3 after this season. Bottom line, Mangini will have wasted one of the Jets most valuable commodities.

IMO Mangini has completely mismanaged the LB corps.

Exactly, personally I don

I wouldn't rule it out though. I have a bad feeling he may still be here which like you said would be a huge mistake.

You guys forget that Vilma was drafted with a known degenerative bone disease in his knee. There are strong rumors that the bone chips that were removed from his knee were actually more due to his knee deteriorating from his degenerative condition than any injury he may have had. If this is true, he is basically worthless right now. We might as well keep him and see what he can contribute (while bringing in solid competition as well) and possibly look to deal him next year if he shows he can still play at his usual speed without injury issues.

Archived