Jonathan Vilma trade rumors (Merged 4x)

TaborJet

His trade value will obviously be based on his recovery from the knee injury(He said he didn't have) and his ability to return to form after rehab. Hell, there is no indication the Jets are dealing him, but the fact is we now in Harris have a bigger stronger, younger more suited 3-4 ILB..Not rocket science here!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the article says, if he is able to show a team like the Jaguars or Saints that he is close to 100% by draft day, the Jets should be able to receive a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. That is exactly what I think the value for Vilma is and what the Jets should receive.

well if that is what you think 124 it must happen :) Who will be the Jets new poster boy? RHODES!!!!

Damn right 4H.;)

Uh, the new poster boy being Rhodes? Not a chance.

Mike Nugent has been the poster boy since 2005 and will continue being so. Fool. \:D/

Jonathan Vilma's days with the Jets are numbered.

The popular linebacker, whose star has dimmed in two seasons under Eric Mangini, has received permission from the Jets to shop himself for a potential trade, the Daily News has learned. It doesn't mean a trade is a certainty, but it's a tacit acknowledgement from both sides that Vilma and Mangini's 3-4 scheme aren't a match.

Vilma, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, also is looking for a long-term deal. Now, with the Jets' blessing, he has the ability to speak with any team. If he agrees to a new contract, it will be up to that team and the Jets to negotiate trade compensation. The Jets could keep him, but they know they won't receive anything next year if he bolts as a free agent. A team spokeman declined comment.

It's unclear what the Jets are seeking, but there's no doubt that Vilma's value took a hit because of major knee surgery last November. Vilma has started jogging and hopes to be running full speed in about a month, he wrote this week on his Web site. If he can show he's healthy before the April 26 draft, it will greatly enhance his stock. Sources believe the Jets could get a third-round pick, perhaps slightly higher, for a healthy Vilma.

The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

Under Henderson, who ran a 4-3 defense, Vilma was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004. In 2005, he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, looking like one of the Jets' best first-round picks in years.

When Mangini arrived in 2006 and switched to a 3-4, Vilma's production suffered. Hiding his frustration, at least publicly, he vowed to adapt his sideline-to-sideline style into the more restrictive 3-4 scheme. But he got off to a slow start and suffered a mysterious knee injury in the seventh game, sidelining him for the remainder of the season.

Neither Vilma nor the club explained the nature of the injury, but it was related to a pre-existing condition that required complicated surgery. In the meantime, rookie David Harris flourished in Vilma's role as the defensive signal-caller. In fact, the overall defense improved with Harris in the lineup on a full-time basis.

Mangini was vague yesterday when discussing Vilma at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. He said Vilma is "making some good progress" in his rehab, but when asked if he still considers Vilma a starter, Mangini replied, "It's one of those things where you're going to have to evaluate it as we go and hope everything works out. But Jon's a good player. He's a smart player. He's been very productive for us and he's incredibly competitive."

Vilma's agent, Mitch Frankel, was traveling to the combine and couldn't be reached for comment. Vilma, on his Web site, said he hasn't heard anything from the club with regard to his future.

Per DailyNews

3rd round pick ?

What a disgrace. It was obvious 2 years ago Vilma was too small to play in the 3-4, we could have gotten 1st round pick up until last summer.

Vilma, hope you have fun getting 100+ tackles next season playing for whatever team gives up just a 3rd round pick for you.

Only Tangini.

What a disgrace. It was obvious 2 years ago Vilma was too small to play in the 3-4, we could have gotten 1st round pick up until last summer.

Vilma, hope you have fun getting 100+ tackles next season playing for whatever team gives up just a 3rd round pick for you.

Only Tangini.

I have to agree. This guys future looked so BRIGHT.

Unfortunately, it really does have to end.

I have to agree. This guys future looked so BRIGHT.

Unfortunately, it really does have to end.

If I had told you at the end of 2005, after Vilma made the pro bowl and led the NFL in tackles his second season in the league, that two years later the Jets would be using him as trade bait for a 3rd round pick? You would have f_cking laughed.

The pain. If the Jets don't go 9-7 or better next year I want this entire regime thrown out. Not that Woody even cares.

Only Tangini.

Preach it Brother North!

Vilma was a valuable asset that Tangini could have used to make this team significantly better. Instead we kept him while he struggled in the new system and lost value, ultimately got injured, and now the Jets will have to take what they can get because their choice is to trade him damaged this year or let him walk and get nothing for him next year.

Manginius!

No chance IMO. The Chad Johnson pipe dream needs to end.

why are you such a Kiljoy? You have been saying the same thing about the Coles and Chad deal to KC...trades in the NFL actually DO happen IJ...one thing is clear go back and look at the Jets drafts for the last 5 years-we have 11 players who are contributing-that's about 20% of the team-if we draft 4 starters this year (highly unlikely) we're still way off from what we need. To build this team into anything that will resemble a playoff team is going to take signing free agents AND pulling off at least 2 blockbuster trades

NFL_Vilma_small.jpg

The Jets have given ILB Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself for a potential trade.

Vilma is coming off knee surgery, but was a Pro Bowl alternate his second season, and just doesn't fit well into Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. He'll seek a long-term deal with a team that would then have to work out a trade with the Jets. Reuniting with former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson in Jacksonville is a possibility. There has also been talk in St. Louis of the Rams sending the No. 2 overall pick to the Jets for the No. 6 pick and Vilma,

We are SO screwed. What are the chances the Dolphins pass us next year? Pretty close to even money, I'd say.

if we continue on the same course I say highly likely Bob-we need to start making cuts and bringing people in to Hofstra to have preliminary talks-OK I KNOW it's still early and all but the Jets need to start acting with a sense of urgency. They haven't been doing it-we are always a day late or a dollar short and I'm getting sick of this crap with my team

Interesting.. That's a steep price to pay for #2... You better like who you are getting at #2 and know for SURE he's not falling.

I'd like them to chuck in a little more ....However, #6 to #2 is 1000 points (on the old chart some teams are making a new one, making higher picks not worth as hgih because of the $ the players get).. That's pick #16... Not bad value for Vilma...

Tough call here. I'd prefer to use vilma to get another player.......

I do not think free agency has really started yet so not too worried about that but just want to see some aggressive moves to bring in proven playmakers not band aids and stop gaps.

no it hasn't 4H but why is it we haven't heard anything on us having interest in any players? OK I know Mangini and Co are tight-lipped about that stuff but there are always agents and players willing to talk...the jury is out on these guys for me-I better see some bold moves at least attempted

Jets love Long Howie's Kid right. Or maybe Matt Ryan...

i'm surprised so many people want a QB. I liked Kellen's intangibles and am looking forward to him playing this year.

I guess i'd rather not have the second pick, i'd rather keep our six and get a second. Moving up is the wrong direction in this particular draft.

Archived