Jonathan Vilma trade rumors (Merged 4x)

TaborJet

With any draft pick you are hoping that things work out.

Hoping he stays healthy

Hoping he can adjust to NFL speed

Hoping that the team wasnt fooled by gaudy workout numbers

Hoping he wasnt the product of a system

The draft is all about hoping the player you take a risk on works out for you, there are no guarantees in the Draft, all a high draft pick means is that there is slightly better chance that the player will turn out to be something special, but at the same time more risk of it blowing up in your face if it doesnt work out.

weak argument...no offense to you tho

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its because of everything you just said that we are not successful. no one should give a **** about character. we want players

Did you see the Bowl game he played in? They called his name on every play. Always getting pressure, chasing down ballcarriers, batting down passes, chewing up blockers.

At the end of every play you can be sure that #91 was in the vicinity.

You want talent? This kid has talent, and tons of it to spare.

Did you see the Bowl game he played in? They called his name on every play. Always getting pressure, chasing down ballcarriers, batting down passes, chewing up blockers.

At the end of every play you can be sure that #91 was in the vicinity.

You want talent? This kid has talent, and tons of it to spare.

who did they play again? its not like he plays against the best competition every week

i'm surprised so many people want a QB. I liked Kellen's intangibles and am looking forward to him playing this year.

I guess i'd rather not have the second pick, i'd rather keep our six and get a second. Moving up is the wrong direction in this particular draft.

Unless there are two players they simply must have, it makes no sense. Long could go at 1 to Miami or whoever they trade it to. To me, this year, 2 does not seem a whole heck of a lot better than 6.

I would rather stay at 6 and do one of three things: trade Vilma for the Rams 2nd and 4th/5th rounder, trade Vilma for a mid-first rounder from another team, or trade Vilma straight up for a player. Trading Vilma and the 6 is like giving up two players for one, which is exactly what the Jets shouldn't do, IMO. Chris Long isn't good enough or isn't nearly enough of a sure thing to trade that much to get him.

i think one thing we can agree on is that this is a very limited draft as far as "sure things". the weakest in a long long time

Dude

this is a Great draft

Last years draft blew....this year there is alot of depth at RB, WR,OL

Great year for us to have nultiple 3rd and 4th round picks

Dude

this is a Great draft

Last years draft blew....this year there is alot of depth at RB, WR,OL

Great year for us to have nultiple 3rd and 4th round picks

i have to agree with you. i think there a a lot of great value picks in later rounds, but I am saying as far as sure things in the top 15 its very limited IMO. as for the jets, if we play our cards right we could have a very beneficial draft, but that remains to be seen

I would rather stay at 6 and do one of three things: trade Vilma for the Rams 2nd and 4th/5th rounder, trade Vilma for a mid-first rounder from another team, or trade Vilma straight up for a player. Trading Vilma and the 6 is like giving up two players for one, which is exactly what the Jets shouldn't do, IMO. Chris Long isn't good enough or isn't nearly enough of a sure thing to trade that much to get him.

I agree - but they might not be offering that in return. They might like someone that they think they can get at 6.

If the Jets are targeting Chris Long then it will have to be a draft day deal because he could easily go to Miami. In fact, I believe Miami will pick Long if they cant trade out.

but if they wait til draft day and cannot get Long, then Vilma's value will drop

What if.....

The Deangelo Hall to NYG rumor is true. That allows Atlanta to get their QB at the top of the first round; probably Brohm (sick), and a CB with their 2nd round pick.

That means.... We might be moving up to get either a RB or a DT that they have been "interested" in.

If this is an effort to get Sedrick Ellis at the #2 spot--I might puke a little in my mouth.

What if.....

The Deangelo Hall to NYG rumor is true. That allows Atlanta to get their QB at the top of the first round; probably Brohm (sick), and a CB with their 2nd round pick.

That means.... We might be moving up to get either a RB or a DT that they have been "interested" in.

If this is an effort to get Sedrick Ellis at the #2 spot--I might puke a little in my mouth.

if we trade up to 2 to get sedrick ellis, im selling my season tickets

What if.....

I agree.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Dorsey as a possible target. He would be a great 3-4 NT.

but if they wait til draft day and cannot get Long, then Vilma's value will drop

This is one of the things that concerns me, if we wait til the last second we could screw ourselves over, The Rams 2nd rounder is almost equal to a first since it would the 33rd overall pick.

Plus it would give us more picks instead of taking them away, which right now is more important for a rebuilding team.

(Also, I think Long goes #1 so being #2 is pointless this year.

This is one of the things that concerns me, if we wait til the last second we could screw ourselves over, The Rams 2nd rounder is almost equal to a first since it would the 33rd overall pick.

Plus it would give us more picks instead of taking them away, which right now is more important for a rebuilding team.

(Also, I think Long goes #1 so being #2 is pointless this year.

if we could trade vilma for the rams 2nd rounder it is the biggest no brainer we could come across

I agree.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Dorsey as a possible target. He would be a great 3-4 NT.

Dorsey has had a quiet post-season so far. Not sure if that's because of his injuries, or Ellis' strong play.

For the record, I am a Sedrick Ellis advocate. Just not at the #2 spot.

Yes aggressive just like the pats..

the Pats HAVE been aggressive-from trading for Corey Dillon a couple of years ago to the Moss and Welker deals and signing A.Thomas last year-they may not make a lot of moves but the ones they DO make are for impact players-unlike the Jets and the big Darian Barnes and Andre Wadsworth crapshoots-I mean if we're gonna run a 3-4 then GET THE RIGHT PLAYERS TO DO IT-instead of having players switch positions that they've been playing their whole lives. If we don't have the right guys then play the system that fits the players you have-this is the 3rd year now in this system-there should be no more excuses

whats that, replacing d-rob. look dorsey is a beast, and i watched every LSU game this year, but he is not a nose tackle

How can he not play the nose? He is 6'2" 316.

Compares To: WARREN SAPP-Oakland...While both have made a nice living off their explosive initial step, Dorsey does not have the same game-changing ability Sapp displayed during the prime of his career. Let's face it, Dorsey is a good sanitation man (takes out the trash by handling multiple blockers, thus freeing a teammate up to make the play), but if statistics tell the true story, he had just 13 sacks, 27 stops for losses and seven quarterback pressures in 51 collegiate games. While we will follow the party line that he could develop into another Sapp, he also could be a clone of a former LSU Tiger, Anthony McFarland.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glenn-dorsey?id=218

I agree with the last line. This guy is a NT all the way. But we shall see.

How can he not play the nose? He is 6'2" 316.

Compares To: WARREN SAPP-Oakland...While both have made a nice living off their explosive initial step, Dorsey does not have the same game-changing ability Sapp displayed during the prime of his career. Let's face it, Dorsey is a good sanitation man (takes out the trash by handling multiple blockers, thus freeing a teammate up to make the play), but if statistics tell the true story, he had just 13 sacks, 27 stops for losses and seven quarterback pressures in 51 collegiate games. While we will follow the party line that he could develop into another Sapp, he also could be a clone of a former LSU Tiger, Anthony McFarland.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glenn-dorsey?id=218

I agree with the last line. This guy is a NT all the way. But we shall see.

also VERY injury prone

Dorsey is a penetrating DT. Although his size is similar to Sedrick Ellis', the two have completely different skill sets.

Ellis is a one-gap with 2 gap-abilities. Dorsey is a three-gapper.

Ellis can stuff the run. Dorsey can chase a runner down.

Running straight at Ellis will get you no-where. Running straight at Dorsey is your best bet as a RB.

Dorsey is a penetrating DT. Although his size is similar to Sedrick Ellis', the two have completely different skill sets.

Ellis is a one-gap with 2 gap-abilities. Dorsey is a three-gapper.

Ellis can stuff the run. Dorsey can chase a runner down.

Running straight at Ellis will get you no-where. Running straight at Dorsey is your best bet as a RB.

I disagree, I think Drosey is stronger and can tie up blockers better than Ellis. While Ellis is better at penetrating. Still neither is worth the 2 pick imho. Which is the reason the Rams are trying to get out of it.

I disagree, I think Drosey is stronger and can tie up blockers better than Ellis. While Ellis is better at penetrating. Still neither is worth the 2 pick imho. Which is the reason the Rams are trying to get out of it.

At one point or another, both had been considered candidates for the #1 pick. As for playing strength (opposed to bar lifting), its a tough point to evaluate; All season long, both Ellis and Dorsey were double teamed. Both can penetrate, both are high-motored... They're both great players.

Even the experts have them rated at 1, and 1a.

I personally think the Rams are better off with a pass-rushing DE.... Which neither are.

As for our team, Ellis getting the "3-4 NT" nod from Mayock is what seperates the two. Before then, both were considered 4-3 DTs. Ellis a 4-3 NT; Dorsey a 4-3 UT.

NFL_Vilma_small.jpg

The Jets have given ILB Jonathan Vilma permission to shop himself for a potential trade.

Vilma is coming off knee surgery, but was a Pro Bowl alternate his second season, and just doesn't fit well into Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. He'll seek a long-term deal with a team that would then have to work out a trade with the Jets. Reuniting with former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson in Jacksonville is a possibility. There has also been talk in St. Louis of the Rams sending the No. 2 overall pick to the Jets for the No. 6 pick and Vilma,

If that ends up being the trade then you would have to think the Jets are either targeting Jake Long for RT or Chris Long for DE or OLB. Most likely its Chris Long. They've been high on him for a while now, but I just don't see it. I don't see a 280lb player playing on this defense. One undersized DE (Shaun Ellis - 285) is enough. If Long gets down into the 260's, fine, IF they believe he can switch to a 34 OLB role.

Archived