Jets | After Law Again

Smizzy

Jets | After Law Again

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:20:56 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the New York Jets have resumed conversations with free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) based on the news that CB Donnie Abraham plans to retire.

Jets | After Law Again

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the New York Jets have resumed conversations with free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) based on the news that CB Donnie Abraham plans to retire.

Jets | After Law Again

Gold discovered in California...

Jets | After Law Again

Gold discovered in California...

This will be interesting now. If they get Law into the mix at a decent price, the Jets DB's will be majorly upgraded.

With Abraham retiring, the #2 CB position is now greatly exposed.

Hunter, Straight and Miller have a whopping 5 career starts between them. Mickens is a 32-year old dinosaur coming off major knee surgery.

If the Jets stand pat, teams will stay away from Barrett and attack the other side. Can you imagine Hunter, Straight or Miller trying to stay with Dieon Branch or Bethel Johnson? :shock:

I'm more convinced now than ever that the Jets will make a legitimate offer for Ty Law's services.

Ty Law at 80% is still a much better CB than those other 4 guys.

This will be interesting now. If they get Law into the mix at a decent price, the Jets DB's will be majorly upgraded.

Hunter, Straight and Miller have a whopping 5 career starts between them. Mickens is a 32-year old dinosaur coming off major knee surgery.

If the Jets stand pat, teams will stay away from Barrett and attack the other side. Can you imagine Hunter, Straight or Miller trying to stay with Dieon Branch or Bethel Johnson? :shock:

I'm more convinced now than ever that the Jets will make a legitimate offer for Ty Law's services.

You've got a point, but what I meant was that the Jets, by losing Abraham from the mix, lose experience but gain speed and athleticism. I don't care what Strait ran in the 40 at the combine. All I know is that he never got beat playing at Oklahoma, and that was defensing against Roy Williams and Rashaun Woods. Strait can do the job. Of this I am convinced. Of course, signing Law will let me sleep a little easier if only for the experience factor.

You've got a point, but what I meant was that the Jets, by losing Abraham from the mix, lose experience but gain speed and athleticism. I don't care what Strait ran in the 40 at the combine. All I know is that he never got beat playing at Oklahoma, and that was defensing against Roy Williams and Rashaun Woods. Strait can do the job. Of this I am convinced. Of course, signing Law will let me sleep a little easier if only for the experience factor.

I'm not sold that Derrick Strait cannot handle the # 2 job. Ray Mickens and Pete Hunter are nickle/dime corners, at best, I agree. But Strait is a better prospect than many would like to admit because he has an outstanding work ethic and has years of solid production to prove it in his college career. I feel that he will win the starting job if the Jets stay with what they have currently.

Admittedly, however, it definitely couldn't hurt to add Ty Law into the mix, even if he is in pain. At this point and with the current CB situation, it might just be a Pete Kendall-type of signing for the defense, except for the fact that Law has been on the market for months, and Kendall was plucked almost immediately upon his release.

I'm not sold that Derrick Strait cannot handle the # 2 job. Ray Mickens and Pete Hunter are nickle/dime corners, at best, I agree. But Strait is a better prospect than many would like to admit because he has an outstanding work ethic and has years of solid production to prove it in his college career. I feel that he will win the starting job if the Jets stay with what they have currently.

Admittedly, however, it definitely couldn't hurt to add Ty Law into the mix, even if he is in pain. At this point and with the current CB situation, it might just be a Pete Kendall-type of signing for the defense, except for the fact that Law has been on the market for months, and Kendall was plucked almost immediately upon his release.

A less than 100% Law is definitely better than the guys we have back there now. It might be time to bite the salary cap bullet and get him but I think I’d prefer that the Jets don’t do it. My biggest concern would be how this will affect Miller and Strait’s development.

A less than 100% Law is definitely better than the guys we have back there now. It might be time to bite the salary cap bullet and get him but I think I’d prefer that the Jets don’t do it. My biggest concern would be how this will affect Miller and Strait’s development.

Of course, signing Law will let me sleep a little easier if only for the experience factor.

There are easily 10-12 CB's in the NFL who have better physical skills (speed, size, etc.) than Ty Law.

But there is no one out there that plays the position any smarter than Ty Law. He is rarely out of position, seldom gets beat deep and he is one of the best tacklers of all the CB's out there. Not to mention his great anticipation in jumping routes.

His experience alone would be a significant addition for the Jets.

Of course, signing Law will let me sleep a little easier if only for the experience factor.

There are easily 10-12 CB's in the NFL who have better physical skills (speed, size, etc.) than Ty Law.

But there is no one out there that plays the position any smarter than Ty Law. He is rarely out of position, seldom gets beat deep and he is one of the best tacklers of all the CB's out there. Not to mention his great anticipation in jumping routes.

very good points TX

very good points TX

Seeing Ty Law intercept a Tom Brady pass and running it back for the game winning touchdown in overtime would be the Greatest Moment of My Life. :lol:

My sincerest condolences on a sucky life.

Archived