Shaun Rogers Being traded..

Favorite_Toon

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Lions will trade DT Shaun Rogers within the next week.

Trades can't be executed until the free agency period begins on February 29. Schefter says at least four teams have shown strong interest in Rogers, whose skill set compares favorably to both Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis. Rogers has his ups and downs, but most premier interior linemen do. The Lions should be able to get at least a second-round pick for the 28-year-old. Feb. 22 - 7:24 pm et

Would you give our second round pick for him? or vilma?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehh I wouldn't, our second is as good as a last first rounder in most years. I would give our 4th and thats probably it. I used to be a big fan of rogers, but that was more the idea of shaun rogers and not the player that's lazy, out of shape and takes plays off. If there's a stipulation in his contract that says if you suck than you don't get the money than by all means, but i just don't see why he'd play harder for this team than the lions. If mangini can motivate him then make the deal, but i just don't see it happening.

Vilma for Rogers and a 4th??

Ehh I wouldn't, our second is as good as a last first rounder in most years. I would give our 4th and thats probably it. I used to be a big fan of rogers, but that was more the idea of shaun rogers and not the player that's lazy, out of shape and takes plays off. If there's a stipulation in his contract that says if you suck than you don't get the money than by all means, but i just don't see why he'd play harder for this team than the lions. If mangini can motivate him then make the deal, but i just don't see it happening.

Vilma and our second for rogers and roy williams?

I think it would be the other way around, with us giving up the fourth. And I'd be damn happy to do it.

I think it would be the other way around, with us giving up the fourth. And I'd be damn happy to do it.

It's debatable. I think we hold the upper hand a bit, because more teams will want a crack at vilma than rogers IMO. Vilma is younger, coming off a relatively uninvasive surgery (which for you not medical folks means, it's not that serious...i really loved how i read 100's of posts saying coming off serious surgery and i guarantee 0 of them have seen a bone chip removal or the PT following it...but i digress) and we are giving him up becuase he doesn't fit our system not because he's lazy, out of shape and is a malcontent. I do beleive rogers can be much more dominant than vilma, but i feel the lions want to get rid of him more than another team wants him, if that makes any sense?

Sweeten the pot with anything you want. There are some good 3-4 DE prospects coming out this year. Can't have a 3-man line that's 2/3 rookies.

We've been without a NT for 2 years already & even drafting someone who fits the profile is no guarantee he'll be talented enough at the NFL level. Rogers has his shortcomings, but talent and size are not among them.

Throw in DRob. No way he stays on the team with a $10M cap number anyway.

I hope Drob restructures. Ellis' cap hit should free up plenty. Plus, I'm kinda curious to see what Drob (and his size/speed/motor) can do on the edge in our 3-4.

Ellis didn't do it for me, but Drob next to a big fatty would be interesting.... Three 300 lbers on our D-line (???) hmmm.

DRob's best-suited to penetrating on a 4-man line with a true NT next to him. I don't want him restructuring; it only puts off the payment for later; it doesn't make it go away. Basically, there is no incentive for DRob to restructure as he can make more money by either not restructuring or letting the Jets release/trade him. He's not worth coughing up another high signing bonus on. Certainly not to us anyway.

DRob's best-suited to penetrating on a 4-man line with a true NT next to him. I don't want him restructuring; it only puts off the payment for later; it doesn't make it go away. Basically, there is no incentive for DRob to restructure as he can make more money by either not restructuring or letting the Jets release/trade him. He's not worth coughing up another high signing bonus on. Certainly not to us anyway.

Maybe. I've never seen him two-gap from the 34 DE spot with a true NT next to him.

Either way, Mangini liking the guy makes this moot.

I don't like Chatham or Poteat, but they aint going anywhere.

Maybe. I've never seen him two-gap from the 34 DE spot with a true NT next to him.

Either way, Mangini liking the guy makes this moot.

I don't like Chatham or Poteat, but they aint going anywhere.

Well DRob 2-gapping from DE is a lot to gamble on; he wasn't so hot at 2-gapping at NT and they're not going to keep him with a $10M cap number. Nor is he worth restructuring (pays him the same eventually; it just lowers his cap # in the short-term) to find out. There's no shortage of 3-4 DE (taller 4-3 DT) prospects; they come out every year. NT's with the size requisite for the 3-4 -- AND TALENT -- are IMO the rarest thing to find in the NFL. Otherwise DRob wouldn't have started for 2 years with no one being groomed behind him.

Plus DRob reportedly taking his nameplate off his locker after the last game, presumably as some type of souvenir, isn't exactly a sign that he expected to be back in '08.

Poteat is great use of a roster spot at his $. I wouldn't like him as the starter all year, but I like having him on the team. Chatham doesn't do anything for me.

I'd give Vilma + D-Rob, Vilma + 2nd, Heck I'd give up our first pick!!!!

This guy would solve our main defensive need and help take up blockers so the likes of Harris could make an even bigger impact on games. You can't not double block Shaun Rogers or he'll just cause chaos. He's got the perfect frame for a 3-4 NT.

I'd honestly even consider keeping Vilma if this trade went ahead and he wasn't involved.

To be fair in that Pittsburgh game he played DE along with Pouha and Coleman alot and did very well. It's something I wish we'd have experimented with a lot more this season.

Can't wait to hear the complaints about whatever lazy fat suckass we have in the middle next year. Fat guys play lazy and can't play every down.

Shaun Rogers will not be dominated like D-Rob was. When he's not making plays he will at least hold his own and attract double teams, that will free up a lot more room for our LB's.

The statement is that he can "get as fat as he wants". He's already fat and lazy. Fat lazy guys don't hold their own for long.

LOL, yeah just saw that.

He just needs to maintain a weight of about 350 - 360, anything over that is a problem.

He's surprisingly quick though for a big guy, remember this??

K2vks25u-r4

:rl:

Maybe we should trade him for Thomas Jones and play him at Running Back.

The statement is that he can "get as fat as he wants". He's already fat and lazy. Fat lazy guys don't hold their own for long.

Dunno how much time he spent on the field in Detroit but in NY, even with the current roster, he can get plenty of rest because Puoha and Mosley are respectable backups if the main guy is good. It would be exciting to get Rogers and still have, more or less , our full compliment of draft picks.

If Detroit feels it needs to trade Roy Williams to clear some money for defenders (I hear about this all the time on satellite radio) then maybe the Lions would have interest in Coles.

Williams and Rogers for Vilma, Coles and Robertson? Heh.

What's your solution? Roll the dice & reach with the #35 pick for a guy who may not even be worthy of starting for over a year (if he ever is)?

We reached once with Pouha b/c he had "prototypical" NT size. Problem is that he kind of sucks. He's probably good enough to bring in for a series here & there or a play here & there. Which is what I would envision with Rogers here.

Simply can't teach someone to move athletically at 360 lbs. They either have it or they don't. It's the biggest hole on the team & you have to at least make the effort when an opportunity falls in your lap like this IMO. How many years can it take to teach a raw rookie to be a solid, starting 3-4 NT?

There are no 3-4 NT sized players that have no down-side.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Lions will trade DT Shaun Rogers within the next week.

Trades can't be executed until the free agency period begins on February 29. Schefter says at least four teams have shown strong interest in Rogers, whose skill set compares favorably to both Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis. Rogers has his ups and downs, but most premier interior linemen do. The Lions should be able to get at least a second-round pick for the 28-year-old. Feb. 22 - 7:24 pm et

Would you give our second round pick for him? or vilma?

I would give the second round pick AND Vilma. Roogers is a mo-f_ckin beast. I wanted the Jets to draft this guy when he first came out of Texas.

That draft still breaks my heart to this day. Santana Moss over Chad Johnson and Reggie Wayne. Lamont Jordan over Shaun Rogers. FU Bradway.

Dunno how much time he spent on the field in Detroit but in NY, even with the current roster, he can get plenty of rest because Puoha and Mosley are respectable backups if the main guy is good. It would be exciting to get Rogers and still have, more or less , our full compliment of draft picks.

If Detroit feels it needs to trade Roy Williams to clear some money for defenders (I hear about this all the time on satellite radio) then maybe the Lions would have interest in Coles.

Williams and Rogers for Vilma, Coles and Robertson? Heh.

The scenario sounds good. We need an every down NT though and Rogers would be a question mark in his current shape. I'm just saying we can't get him, pay him and let him get all fat. Pouha and Mosley? They blow. According to you guys DRob is the source of all that is evil on the Jets yet their two sorry asses barely make the field. When the do they rarely produce. I have yet to see Mosley play one successful snap as a 2 gap NT. Mosley has only shown promise shooting the gap. Pouha? The guy has done nothing but suck ass and/or sit on the IR since he got here. He spent about three games not completely sucking at the end of last year and we are all excited. The nose is by himself every play. How good the starting NT has no bearing on the backups. Unless it means he could be out there extra snaps. Neither of them is giving DRob a decent break and he's the one who is supposedly undersized and getting worn down.

Rogers will have to perform for well more than half the snaps on the Jets to be of any real value.

What's your solution? Roll the dice & reach with the #35 pick for a guy who may not even be worthy of starting for over a year (if he ever is)?

We reached once with Pouha b/c he had "prototypical" NT size. Problem is that he kind of sucks. He's probably good enough to bring in for a series here & there or a play here & there. Which is what I would envision with Rogers here.

Simply can't teach someone to move athletically at 360 lbs. They either have it or they don't. It's the biggest hole on the team & you have to at least make the effort when an opportunity falls in your lap like this IMO. How many years can it take to teach a raw rookie to be a solid, starting 3-4 NT?

There are no 3-4 NT sized players that have no down-side.

I don't have anything against getting the guy, I just feel that if he lets himself go and tub up he'll end up being useless to us. It's nice to say that blubber is an advantage for a nose, but if that were he case there would be more successful NTs. Lord knows there are enough fat people. The guy will have to perform and have some endurance or we'll be in a worse situation than with DRob.

I would give the second round pick AND Vilma. Roogers is a mo-f_ckin beast. I wanted the Jets to draft this guy when he first came out of Texas.

That draft still breaks my heart to this day. Santana Moss over Chad Johnson and Reggie Wayne. Lamont Jordan over Shaun Rogers. FU Bradway.

JN needs to ban posts lamenting past Jet drafts. Its way too depressing.:bag: