Times they are a-changin'

Saw this article in todays Daily News. Pretty interesting.

The way the NFL is now, reasonably priced free agents do not exist anymore. Majority of teams are way under the cap. With all that cap room and not a lot of unrestricted free agents (this years crap FA class just magnifies this problem) EVERY free agent will get overpaid. So do we join in and over pay 1 or 2 guys? Why not "overpay" Asante Samuel? Will picking him up keep us from other FAs? With all these teams having $$ to burn, probably not.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/02/24/2008-02-24_free_agents_ready_to_cash_in.html

Saw this article in todays Daily News. Pretty interesting.

The way the NFL is now, reasonably priced free agents do not exist anymore. Majority of teams are way under the cap. With all that cap room and not a lot of unrestricted free agents (this years crap FA class just magnifies this problem) EVERY free agent will get overpaid. So do we join in and over pay 1 or 2 guys? Why not "overpay" Asante Samuel? Will picking him up keep us from other FAs? With all these teams having $$ to burn, probably not.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2008/02/24/2008-02-24_free_agents_ready_to_cash_in.html

That's a stupid article. This isn't MLB, it's the NFL. There will be a team or two that overpays a player, but the majority won't.

I think this illustrates the rise in cap; and how it will continue to rise.

Last year the Dockery, Steinbach deals are starting to look more and more logical, as new OG contract will begin to replicate those figures anyway. I say we start the inflated CB pay trend.

It's not like the salary-cap in six years won't permit such ridiculous payments to a single player.

I think this illustrates the rise in cap; and how it will continue to rise.

Last year the Dockery, Steinbach deals are starting to look more and more logical, as new OG contract will begin to replicate those figures anyway. I say we start the inflated CB pay trend.

It's not like the salary-cap in six years won't permit such ridiculous payments to a single player.

The bottom line is that teams with half a brain won't pay outrageous wages to free agents.

The 49ers screwed up last year. Clements and Banta-Cain were terrible signings.

The bottom line is that teams with half a brain won't pay outrageous wages to free agents.

I don't know about Tully's deal, but Clements' deal is not going to actualize to the full $80M

That's a stupid article. This isn't MLB, it's the NFL. There will be a team or two that overpays a player, but the majority won't.

If we overpay for a player, fine. But not him. This is not Herb Adderly or Willie Brown. He is better than average and he happens to play in a system that is great for DBs. In another year Revis will be better than him (he may be now. he just plays on a team with NO pass rush). How will we keep him with Samuel making so much?

I think your wrong about teams not overpaying for free agents. All these NFL teams are under the cap and the cap is just continuinng to rise. A guy like Sameul is guarenteed to get "overpaid". Hes a solid player in a thin free agent market where 80% of the league can afford him. And since not many players actually reach unrestricted free agent status, this trend will continue.

As for the Nate Clements deal, who knows. 2-3 years from now, if he is playing at a high level, his deal may not look so outrageous.