Cimini's Blog 2.26.08

TaborJet

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think it will be a problem for a while, we have three good starters in the past two years of first rounds, and hopefully it will be four (or five), after this upcoming draft.

For what its worth IMO there are only two names on that list that are really regretful, Farrior and Glenn, the others werent anything special.

He says we need to hang on to our #1 picks, but then contradicts himself in the analysis saying that some of those trades were good decisions. It has to be taken into account that as coaching staff and subsequent schemes change, high profile draft picks are sometimes better off dealt for whatever is a better fit for at the time. The Abraham deal was one of the better trades the Jets have made in their history imo

The idea that Cimini has is absolutely right-Your first round picks should absolutely be the backbone of your team.

The Jets have either mis-read fitting them into their system or used them to barter for other pieces.

When you are using your first round picks as barter, you have either not done a good job of selection for your club, or developed the player properly in the appropriate system. First round picks should not be used as eventual barter. Chances are you will get nickles for your dollars.

Both problems for the Jets, and real problems.

The problem is your first round picks should be the foundation of your franchise- a very good reason we have not been successful is they have not been for the Jets in this period.

Exactly-Players that you build around.

If you move "players that you build around" you pretty much create a carousel of movement that yields nothing but movement.

That is no way to build.

the Jets used to do it with coaches. Now it it is supposed "impact players".

neither is a good way to build a pro franchise. Of course it all takes selecting teh right coaches and players in the first place ;)

The NY Jets have been the laughing stock of the NFL since I've started watching football. On the field and in the front office.

Nothing has changed but the date on the calender.

Well, this being a leap year and all, maybe this is foreshadowing.

Really, they have not been a "joke" for a decade. They are now stuck in the mediocre club, which can be just as maddening.

Well, this being a leap year and all, maybe this is foreshadowing.

Really, they have not been a "joke" for a decade. They are now stuck in the mediocre club, which can be just as maddening.

We go from terrible to mediocre and back to terrible.

So Far...We have no QB and a terrible O-line and we run a 3-4 defense without a NT.

How do you see it playing out next season?

I was kinda hoping to see teh off-season play out.

You know-Hit on every draft pick, have FA's clamoring to come and signing the cream of the crop for great prices.

You know, the ususal.

This team must determine its identity. For how long have we been saying that?

I was kinda hoping to see teh off-season play out.

You know-Hit on every draft pick, have FA's clamoring to come and signing the cream of the crop for great prices.

You know, the ususal.

This team must determine its identity. For how long have we been saying that?

Every offseason since I've been a fan.

To be fair J-Abe got his Mangold, probably our best offensive player and sideline Santana got us Coles (We took Moss over Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson remember?)

We just haven't been that good at drafting, although to be fair to Tangini they've been pretty good for the last 2 drafts, hopefully they keep that up.

To be fair J-Abe got his Mangold, probably our best offensive player and sideline Santana got us Coles (We took Moss over Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson remember?)

We just haven't been that good at drafting, although to be fair to Tangini they've been pretty good for the last 2 drafts, hopefully they keep that up.

I didn't love their '06 draft. Clemens & Brick taking major improvements would change that. I'd also like to see Eric Smith win a starting job. Hate to think we passed on Gabe Watson for TRULY absolutely nothing twice and for a special teams-gimmick QB/WR a third time.

I didn't love their '06 draft. Clemens & Brick taking major improvements would change that. I'd also like to see Eric Smith win a starting job. Hate to think we passed on Gabe Watson for TRULY absolutely nothing twice and for a special teams-gimmick QB/WR a third time.

Welcome to NY Jets football!

They almost had to pick KC though, the way Chad was that off-season. None of the other 3 QB's selecte high in that draft have exactly lit it up.

I personally have been happy enough with D'Brick.

They didn't have to. It's just what they did.

I'm holding out hope that he doesn't suck in '08.

Chad was dodgy heading into 2006, no one could have been sure if he could even play again.

The other option was Patrick Ramsey and well he just flat out sucks. They had to try and get something fo the future of that position IMO. It just wasn't a very good year to need a QB.

Chad was dodgy heading into 2006, no one could have been sure if he could even play again.

The other option was Patrick Ramsey and well he just flat out sucks. They had to try and get something fo the future of that position IMO. It just wasn't a very good year to need a QB.

No, the other option was drafting a QB at #4 overall and taking a tackle later.

He does? He's been up & down, but then so have the Broncos in general. Overall I'd say he was pretty good for a 2nd-year QB. 3500 yds & 20 TD's, and more TD's than INT's. When was the last time a Jets QB did that - 1998?

He fumbles a lot and has an elite running game to back him up, not to mention Brandon Marshall, Javon Walker, Brandon Stokley and Tony Scheffler as weapons. Give KC that kind of situation and who knows what he could do.

He fumbles a lot and has an elite running game to back him up, not to mention Brandon Marshall, Javon Walker, Brandon Stokley and Tony Scheffler as weapons. Give KC that kind of situation and who knows what he could do.

He hasn't had too much of Javon Walker. First year he was still probably not 100% recovered & then got injured again in '07.

Stokley is hardly a stud. He had one really good year like 3 years earlier when Manning was the best anyone's ever been.

Marshall had an awesome year. But is it more Marshall or more Cutler? If Marshall caught a zillion passes the year before with a different QB then you'd have a better argument that he made Cutler.

Scheffler is ok. But again, who is making who look better? Once upon a time I saw David Givens look like a good receiver.

He's got a rocket arm, supposed to be pretty smart, and his running back changed from week to week. He didn't have the worst tools at his disposal, but it's not like he walked onto a team with a bunch of HOF wideouts & TE's. Pretty high completion percentage also for a gunslinger.

He hasn't had too much of Javon Walker. First year he was still probably not 100% recovered & then got injured again in '07.

Stokley is hardly a stud. He had one really good year like 3 years earlier when Manning was the best anyone's ever been.

Marshall had an awesome year. But is it more Marshall or more Cutler? If Marshall caught a zillion passes the year before with a different QB then you'd have a better argument that he made Cutler.

Scheffler is ok. But again, who is making who look better? Once upon a time I saw David Givens look like a good receiver.

He's got a rocket arm, supposed to be pretty smart, and his running back changed from week to week. He didn't have the worst tools at his disposal, but it's not like he walked onto a team with a bunch of HOF wideouts & TE's.

Stokley is a very good slot guy, if you watched Denver this year you'll see how some circus catches from him, Scheffler and Marshall really padded Cutlers stats.

Watch Scheffler's catch vs Chicago and see who's making who look better.

He's got a rocket arm, supposed to be pretty smart, and his running back changed from week to week. He didn't have the worst tools at his disposal, but it's not like he walked onto a team with a bunch of HOF wideouts & TE's. Pretty high completion percentage also for a gunslinger.

agreed Cutler looks like hes going to be a good qb. Jury is definitely still out on Leinart though

Archived