Profootballtalk.com: Jets want Jenkins.

nyjetsjetsjets

POSTED 7:38 p.m. EST, February 28, 2008

JETS WANT JENKINS by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that trade talks are heating up between the Jets and Panthers, centering on defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

Jenkins is one several defensive tackles being shopped around the NFL right now, with others including the Jaguars' Marcus Stroud, the Lions' Shaun Rogers and the Jets' Dewayne Robertson. Schefter reports that the Jets, who want a bigger tackle than Robertson who can play the nose in coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense, are expected to make a major push for Jenkins.

There has been speculation that the Jets might trade linebacker Jonathan Vilma to some team in exchange for a nose tackle.

The 28-year-old Jenkins has spent his entire seven-year career in Carolina and has made three Pro Bowls. He is due a $1 million roster bonus next week and base salaries of $2.955 million in 2008 and $3.71 million in 2009.

POSTED 7:38 p.m. EST, February 28, 2008

JETS WANT JENKINS by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that trade talks are heating up between the Jets and Panthers, centering on defensive tackle Kris Jenkins.

Jenkins is one several defensive tackles being shopped around the NFL right now, with others including the Jaguars' Marcus Stroud, the Lions' Shaun Rogers and the Jets' Dewayne Robertson. Schefter reports that the Jets, who want a bigger tackle than Robertson who can play the nose in coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense, are expected to make a major push for Jenkins.

There has been speculation that the Jets might trade linebacker Jonathan Vilma to some team in exchange for a nose tackle.

The 28-year-old Jenkins has spent his entire seven-year career in Carolina and has made three Pro Bowls. He is due a $1 million roster bonus next week and base salaries of $2.955 million in 2008 and $3.71 million in 2009.

Definately an upgrade!! and younger than Rodgers! I'll take him!!

Both Rogers and Jenkins are incredibly talented, however Jenkins seems like the harder worker and more willing to take on the role of the NT position. His salary seems quite reasonable and if he can stay healthy he would be a fantastic addition. There seems like so many options that it's hard to envision something not happening, which makes it all the more likely something won't.

get em both and move one to end! lawlz total joke post here.

not that we would get both, but the idea is ok. both would need to be doubled in running plays, freeing up harris. I'm a huge fan of play a DT at DE and a NT at the NT spot.

The idea of the 34 is for the 3 to toss around the o-linemen...what better way to do that than with the big boys.

I would rather us keep D-rob at the LDE postion and platoon the NT slot with a real NT then the Mosley/Pouha squad.

lol that be cool and why keep vilma he is just gonna leave after next year anyway but i say keep him for like 1st few games hope he does good then trade him for when his value up

Trade him for someone else? or a pick? I dunno, I want to get the most out of Vilma/D-rob/coles/penny.

Jenkins hasnt been the same player since those injuries he had a few years ago, but he is still highly effective. When motivated, Rogers is the better player today, but thats a big fat IF (pun intended).

Jenkins I think will be more willing to adapt to the 3-4 than Rogers would. He's a leader and hates losing.

not that we would get both, but the idea is ok. both would need to be doubled in running plays, freeing up harris. I'm a huge fan of play a DT at DE and a NT at the NT spot.

The idea of the 34 is for the 3 to toss around the o-linemen...what better way to do that than with the big boys.

I would rather us keep D-rob at the LDE postion and platoon the NT slot with a real NT then the Mosley/Pouha squad.

Marcus Stroud of the Jaguars is also being shopped. A best case scenario could be the three way deal with the Broncos and Lions that bring Rogers here to play nose and possibly send Vilma to the Jags and try out Stroud (6'6, 310) at DE. Vilma and D-Rob will be out and we'll have a front three of Ellis, Rogers and Stroud. Bring in Gholston and theres your 3-4 defense.

• Upvote 1

After watching Oakland's insane signing today (DT coming off a torn ACL - 18 mill guaranteed), I get concerned about trading for one of these guys and having to possibly rework their contract. Does anyone believe that either Rogers or Jenkins won't ask for a revised contract??

Here's to hoping that Tanny does his diligence before pulling the trigger on one of these big fattys.

Strouds also coming off microfracture surgery i believe?? which is a surgery that takes at least a year to come back from. He is also due 11 million over the next two years. I'd rather get jenkins/rogers for NT, hopefully get a pick out of Drob and go for a Dre Moore or Red Bryant to be our DE. We would than be a OLB (gholston/groves/harvey/avril) from being a very good defense.

With strong rumors of signing Faneca, and Pace, plus strong rumors that Vilma to NO will be announced later tonight or tomorrow morning, and us trading for Jenkins, it seems our FO is in for a busy night, and i'm super excited that Woody has all these options on the tip of his nose:)

hasn't Jarrett been a huge disappointment for a variety of reasons in Carolina? also what is the deal with Stroud, does he have a injury or something?

Jarrett was a beast in college. Stevie Smith blasted Jarrett knowing dam well Jarrett would eventually be his repalcement.

Jarrett is also a NJ kid played high school ball in New Brunswick.