Jay Fiedler the best back up QB in the NFL?

Big Dave

Yep, we Dolfans have been saying this for years: Jay Fiedler would make an excellent back up ... just not a starter. I think he's in the right system, too, for his skills in New York.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8643204

1. Jay Fiedler, N.Y. Jets: Another smart pickup by the club. Last year it turned to Quincy Carter while Chad Pennington was recovering from a sore shoulder, and he won two of three starts. This year, it has the proven Fiedler behind Pennington, who returns from surgery for a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. Fiedler is the perfect fit. He's from Long Island. He needed a change of scenery. And the guy's a winner. He was languishing in Miami, where he led the Dolphins to two playoff appearances and won twice as many as he lost (35-17) before last season, but now he has a chance to make an impact. There are a couple of things to consider here: 1) The Jets made the playoffs three of the past four years, and 2) Pennington has yet to play an entire season, missing nine games the past two years to injuries. Just a hunch, but Fiedler will play a role in the Jets' fortunes.

Yep, we Dolfans have been saying this for years: Jay Fiedler would make an excellent back up ... just not a starter. I think he's in the right system, too, for his skills in New York.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8643204

1. Jay Fiedler, N.Y. Jets: Another smart pickup by the club. Last year it turned to Quincy Carter while Chad Pennington was recovering from a sore shoulder, and he won two of three starts. This year, it has the proven Fiedler behind Pennington, who returns from surgery for a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. Fiedler is the perfect fit. He's from Long Island. He needed a change of scenery. And the guy's a winner. He was languishing in Miami, where he led the Dolphins to two playoff appearances and won twice as many as he lost (35-17) before last season, but now he has a chance to make an impact. There are a couple of things to consider here: 1) The Jets made the playoffs three of the past four years, and 2) Pennington has yet to play an entire season, missing nine games the past two years to injuries. Just a hunch, but Fiedler will play a role in the Jets' fortunes.

Even though I have made fun of Jay "Baby New Year" Fiedler over the years, he is a tough and gutsy player. He has always had the ability to come in cold off the bench and can use those ears to really scramble. :)

Hopefully, the most I will see of him this year is in August in on December 26th, when the Jets are up 40 to 3 against the Pats and they put him in in the 4th.

BZ

Even though I have made fun of Jay "Baby New Year" Fiedler over the years, he is a tough and gutsy player. He has always had the ability to come in cold off the bench and can use those ears to really scramble. :)

Hopefully, the most I will see of him this year is in August in on December 26th, when the Jets are up 40 to 3 against the Pats and they put him in in the 4th.

BZ

There are two ways to look at the Fiedler signing, which was not cheap. Either the Jets have no confidence in Chad to stay healthy, or they realize that having a capable back-up is a crucial part of any championship roster. Back-up QB is NOT a luxury position anymore.

There are two ways to look at the Fiedler signing, which was not cheap. Either the Jets have no confidence in Chad to stay healthy, or they realize that having a capable back-up is a crucial part of any championship roster. Back-up QB is NOT a luxury position anymore.

Archived