Alan Faneca Signs 5yr 40M {Merged 3x}

Smizzy

ESPN.COM

Friday, February 29, 2008

Faneca, Jets tentatively agree to four-year, $32M deal

ESPN.com news services

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman "To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said. all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. Only Dielman, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).

Information from ESPN's Michael Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...283&type=story

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5180 does anything make you happy?

there's some of these guys 4H who are like that. On my JN hiatus I was over at JI and this kid Wesker Logan would say the same kind of stuff in EVERY thread I posted about a possible future Jet-I asked him the same question you asked

anyone know which is more up to date? just came across this...

rotoworld.com :

Alan Faneca-G-Steelers Feb. 29 - 5:41 pm et

It was mentioned on ESPNews Friday that Alan Faneca has agreed to a four-year contract with the Jets.

ESPN's John Clayton said no deal is official yet, and we're not hearing that one is. Faneca's deal is expected to average $8 million annually. It's believed he'll take the weekend to decide between the Jets and Rams' offers.

Thor told me even after a Blow J he complains that it's over.

5180 does anything make you happy?

Quality signings, trades which bring you value and the overall winning attitude not just smoke and mirrors dog and pony shows. We signed 1 offensive lineman 1 defensive lineman = how many wins?.We let go 1 of the games premier linebackers a personal favorite of mine.

This team needs playmakers and guys who can find the end zone the game of football is about scoring points.

I am happy with the 2 signings but much more is needed on both sides of the ball.

anyone know which is more up to date? just came across this...

rotoworld.com :

Alan Faneca-G-Steelers Feb. 29 - 5:41 pm et

It was mentioned on ESPNews Friday that Alan Faneca has agreed to a four-year contract with the Jets.

ESPN's John Clayton said no deal is official yet, and we're not hearing that one is. Faneca's deal is expected to average $8 million annually. It's believed he'll take the weekend to decide between the Jets and Rams' offers.

Michael Smith had this on ESPN.com 10 minutes ago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271283

Quality signings, trades which bring you value and the overall winning attitude not just smoke and mirrors dog and pony shows. We signed 1 offensive lineman 1 defensive lineman = how many wins?.We let go 1 of the games premier linebackers a personal favorite of mine.

This team needs playmakers and guys who can find the end zone the game of football is about scoring points.

I am happy with the 2 signings but much more is needed on both sides of the ball.

Since when is Vilma a premier linebacker? I just don't understand this? is this from playing too much madden? He is one of the most overrated players in the NFL today. He wasn't even that good in the 4-3.

Nobody said they are done. BTW, how many points has Vilma scored?

Since when is Vilma a premier linebacker? I just don't understand this? is this from playing too much madden? He is one of the most overrated players in the NFL today. He wasn't even that good in the 4-3.

Offensive Rookie of the year Pro-Bowl appearance led team in tackles.

Who was our Pro-Bowl representative this year?

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The Jets' agreement with free-agent guard Alan Faneca could upgrade three positions on the offensive line. Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold should be better lining up next to one of the very best left guards in the NFL.

Left to right, the Jets can line up with Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Brandon Moore and Anthony Clement. All five of those guys have started 16 games in each of the last two seasons. Faneca, Ferguson and Mangold entered the NFL as first-round draft choices. Clement was a second-rounder. Those four were drafted among the top 36 overall choices. The Jets are talented up front.

Faneca also brings toughness and tenacity. He and Mangold should form one of the better center-guard combinations in the league. This is good news for Thomas Jones, who rushed for more than 1,100 yards last season despite averaging only 3.6 yards per carry. I would be very surprised if that rushing average didn't rise past 4.0 this season.

Vilma is a premiere play maker? did he become Urlacher over night? seems to me like he was your favorite all time Jet and you are disgruntled... the Jets are improved and being aggressive about it that is all you can hope for

Seems to me you are wrong.The linebacker position is 1 of the toughest positions to play on the field.Vilma was a student of the game. This guy was a good one better than Farrior watch and see.

Vilma is a premiere play maker? did he become Urlacher over night? seems to me like he was your favorite all time Jet and you are disgruntled... the Jets are improved and being aggressive about it that is all you can hope for

Among my favorite all time Jets were Russell Carter, Jerry Holmes, Marion Barber and Brad Baxter. You didn't hear me bitching when they left. Good thing there wasn't an internet!

Seems to me you are wrong.The linebacker position is 1 of the toughest positions to play on the field.Vilma was a student of the game. This guy was a good one better than Farrior watch and see.

You want to know something? I couldn't give two ****s that we let Farrior walk. To me the mistake was not wringing what we could out of him while he was here. What upset me was that they developed him and then let him go. They rode Vilma 'til he broke and got what they could for him. Like when you trade in that four year old Mustang you've been doing neutral drops in for the last 60,000 miles. You don't expect to get full retail for it.

You want to know something? I couldn't give two ****s that we let Farrior walk. To me the mistake was not wringing what we could out of him while he was here. What upset me was that they developed him and then let him go. They rode Vilma 'til he broke and got what they could for him. Like when you trade in that four year old Mustang you've been doing neutral drops in for the last 60,000 miles. You don't expect to get full retail for it.

This trade will have far bypass the Farrior fiasco. Its time to move on I agree.

This trade will have far bypass the Farrior fiasco. Its time to move on I agree.

Well, I will root for Vilma to succeed in NO. I like the guy and he was a class act. He also was about 25 pounds light and not suited to what we are trying to do here. If you want him to suck or if the pick we get has to be the next Tom Brady for you to understand the logic in moving him when he's still not able to run and only has one year left on his deal, that's on you. I root for Farrior too. It doesn't bother me that there are good players playing elsewhere.

FWIW, I wasn't expecting more than a second or third if we moved him last year. Before he got hurt.

Well, it looks like Tangini had a plan afterall(either that or they realized they werent going anywhere with the old plan).

GREAT day. Our D-line just became formidable, and our left side is a WALL now. If they sign no one else, I wont complain, but it still looks like D-rob will get dealt.

Just FYI--these moves open up the ability to draft a playmaker on the offensive or defensive side of the ball through the draft now. We dont have to try and force a non-true DT to play NT, and its not a sure thing we HAVE to get a o-lineman on the first day now(although I'd still prefer it, would make a GREAT line).

As Smizzy said, draft day will be AWESOME!

Archived