Alan Faneca Signs 5yr 40M {Merged 3x}

Smizzy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully we can get a good RT and a CB.

I think safety is a position we have to pursue as well.

I don't think so. Elam isn't exactly a HOF'er but he showed promise & is good ENOUGH, where we don't have an outright HOLE at the position. I'd put FS down below:

RT

WR

FB

OLB

ILB

CB

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/02/faneca_isnt_a_jet_yet.html

Just called Faneca's agent about the report on ESPN that the Pro Bowl guard has "tentatively agreed" to a deal with the Jets. Here's how the conversation went.

Me: "Hi Rick. Tom Rock from Newsday."

Rick Smith: "False report. It's a false report."

Didn't even get to ask my question. How did he know I wasn't calling to ask if he'd seen that crazy Michigan women's hoops coach.

Anyway, Smith says we're still on the same timeline as we were earlier today with a decision porbably coming Saturday evening. That doesn't mean the report won't turn out to be true. It just means that it's not totally true yet.

I don't think so. Elam isn't exactly a HOF'er but he showed promise & is good ENOUGH, where we don't have an outright HOLE at the position. I'd put FS down below:

RT

WR

FB

OLB

ILB

CB

CB is on the bottom of your list ?

RT

WR

FB

OLB

ILB

CB

Isn't Rhodes the FS? I thought Elam/Smith were a SS. I don't know how they play it, but they are more the run support guys. I like Erik Coleman, but he was more of a FS and was ill suited to thumping run support.

It's not even Smith, it's that Elam guy.

Clayton just reported that Robertson will either be traded or cut.

He also said something about us paying him around 18 Mill over the next 2 seasons.

That makes me puke!

Robertson was one of the biggest mistakes we have ever made... Moved up to get this guy.. imagine that..

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/02/faneca_isnt_a_jet_yet.html

Just called Faneca's agent about the report on ESPN that the Pro Bowl guard has "tentatively agreed" to a deal with the Jets. Here's how the conversation went.

Didn't even get to ask my question. How did he know I wasn't calling to ask if he'd seen that crazy Michigan women's hoops coach.

Anyway, Smith says we're still on the same timeline as we were earlier today with a decision porbably coming Saturday evening. That doesn't mean the report won't turn out to be true. It just means that it's not totally true yet.

seems like no one's questioning that it's pretty much a done deal. hope Tangini doesn't find a way to screw it up.

VERY GOOD NEWS FROM TOM ROCK!!!!!!

I think we can all take a breathe now as it looks Faneca is basically on our team read this.....

Tom Rock from newsday on jetsinsider.com This was his post.

Faneca isn't a Jet yet

Remember guys Tom is our blogger, and more involved with the jets management then those espn analyst.

I believe Faneca will sign when he travels in:)

Heres the link of the post......

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=164446

There is Vilma info on the top so just keep reading.

If this is true and he does indeed sign later tonight or tomorrow or Sunday, Tangini and Jets will easily be having the #1 Offseason thus far. This team didnt need much to be a competitive, playoff team again and they are doing a great job at building towards a possible 2008 playoff run.

If this is true and he does indeed sign later tonight or tomorrow or Sunday, Tangini and Jets will easily be having the #1 Offseason thus far. This team didnt need much to be a competitive, playoff team again and they are doing a great job at building towards a possible 2008 playoff run.

I'll be just a bit antzy until I actually see/hear Faneca or his agent say it's a done deal. I have just too many night mares of deals past.

I just blew my WOD!

Friday, February 29, 2008

Faneca, Jets tentatively agree to four-year, $32M deal

ESPN.com news services

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman "To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said. all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. Only Dielman, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).

Information from ESPN's Michael Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3271283&type=story

Faneca, Jets tentatively agree to four-year, $32M deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 29, 2008, 7:19 PM ET

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

4288.jpg Faneca

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. Only Dielman, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).

Information from ESPN's Michael Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.

2 Targets down 2 to go

*targets made* Jenkins and Faneca

*Next Targets* Woody And Pace

Great offseason so far =]

And last night at about 10:30 I was watching ESPNnews, and on the bottom where they show scores and stuff it got to the NFL, and it said michael smith reports jets and faneca agree on 4 year 32 million dollar deal. After that it never posted Fanecas agent saying its false.

Archived