Alan Faneca Signs 5yr 40M {Merged 3x}

Smizzy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who will he pick? The Jets, Rams and 49ers all have offers out. The Jets have let everyone know this is the player they want.

Also if he picks the Rams, we are all gonna agree that he sucks right? But if he signs here, he is a Pro Bowler!

Done deal...5 years $40 million...keep it rolling

Just announced on NFL Network. He is a Jet. 5yrs, 40mil - 21mil guaranteed.

Man, I hate spending that much on a guard, but there's no doubt the Jets line was terrible last year. Hope he looks as good in green as he did in black.

The New York Jets are laying it on the line, bolstering their offensive and defensive lines.

One day after trading for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, the Jets reached agreement with former Pittsburgh Pro-Bowl free-agent guard Alan Faneca on a five-year, $40 million contract that includes $21 million in guaranteed money.

The record deal includes the highest average per year ever given to an offensive lineman, as well as the highest amount of guaranteed money. It is a deal that came together quickly between Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and agent Rick Smith, and it fills New York's most gaping need.

Ever since the Jets traded left guard <A href="http://www.nfl.com/players/petekendall/profile?id=KEN043723" _extended="true">Pete Kendall</A _extended="true"> to Washington last summer, they have struggled to find a replacement. Now they have one, a 10-year veteran who has been voted to seven straight Pro Bowls.

But the Jets aren

Man, I hate spending that much on a guard, but there's no doubt the Jets line was terrible last year. Hope he looks as good in green as he did in black.

I agree, but the contracts are out of sight now. May not seem that ridiculous before long. Particularly if he improves our performance at THREE positions on the OL if you consider how much Ferguson & Mangold will (or at least should) improve. Ferguson's improvement will also increase the production of Baker; Baker's increased production will have an impact on our WR's and also the running game. It really could be a snowball effect. Or more to the point, how much of a snowball effect of decreased production having a total stiff like Clarke caused.

As long as it doesn't **** our salary cap, I'm fine with spending whatever we can to upgrade the team.

Faneca agrees to five-year, $40 million deal with Jets

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: March 1, 2008, 5:50 PM ET

Alan Faneca has been biding his time.

For the past three years, Faneca has been considered one of the best guards in football. He has waited for the chance to be the highest paid at his position.

His time arrived Saturday when he agreed to a five-year, $40 million deal with the New York Jets that includes $21 million in guarantees. Not only is Faneca now the highest paid guard in the league; he's the highest paid offensive lineman.

Faneca's final season was a tough one in Pittsburgh. The Browns signed Eric Steinbach and the Bills Derrick Dockery for $7 million a year before the 2007 season. While Faneca knew the numbers would improve his bargaining position this offseason, it made life tough because he knew the Steelers weren't going to pay $7 million a year for a guard.

Faneca played out the final year of his Steelers contract knowing he wouldn't be back. Though the Steelers made final efforts to keep him, the money wasn't going to equal to what he could earn on the open market.

A seven-time Pro Bowler, Faneca, 31, was a first-round choice of the Steelers in 1998. He started 153 games for the Steelers. Faneca will work with DeBrickashaw Ferguson in New York to form one of the best left-side offensive lines in football. The Jets also have a budding star -- Nick Mangold -- at center .

Sperm

Do you have any idea where this put them cap wise?

Next Woody and Pace?

WOW

We did have a lot of room, we also did get rid of some picks and will probably clear some dead cap weight with D-slob and Penny. I don't care what they say, with all of these signings I see us dropping as much dead cap weight as possible. Maybe even get rid of coles and draft that tall fast ****er in the second.

I am really happy they got Faneca, this should make a huge difference. Maybe Jones can be decent this year. Are we done now for free agents....or maybe some more tweaking ?

If we were done we wouldn't be talking to Pace today.

We have enough cap room to sign more than these two. Particularly if/when DRob & maybe Barrett, Barton, Chad, and/or Coles are moved.

I don't know about you guys but that money could be spent much better. First off I don't understand why there is such a market for Calvin Pace, the guy is maybe a little above average, at best. Secondly he's never even played in a 3-4.

We could use that money on much better players like say Randy Moss.

I don't know about you guys but that money could be spent much better. First off I don't understand why there is such a market for Calvin Pace, the guy is maybe a little above average, at best. Secondly he's never even played in a 3-4.

Not true. He had his best year last season playing in Arizonas 3-4 defense. He has the versatility to play inside and outside. Not saying we should sign him but hes definitely a better fit in the 3-4 as he struggled his first few seasons in a 4-3. Personaly I want to see the Jets draft Gholston and have him playing OLB

Not true. He had his best year last season playing in Arizonas 3-4 defense. He has the versatility to play inside and outside. Not saying we should sign him but hes definitely a better fit in the 3-4 as he struggled his first few seasons in a 4-3. Personaly I want to see the Jets draft Gholston and have him playing OLB

The only thing that scares me is it is identicle to Brian Thomas! Played in the 4-3 first couple of years then plays in the 3-4 and florishes! A contract year also!

Arizona actually started implementing their 3-4 defense last year, which is when Pace really started to shine. I don't know if it was the scheming, or the "contract-year" factor.

The only thing that scares me is it is identicle to Brian Thomas! Played in the 4-3 first couple of years then plays in the 3-4 and florishes! A contract year also!

I hear you. Id rather see some consistancy before paying top dollar to a guy that has had 1 good year

I agree, but the contracts are out of sight now. May not seem that ridiculous before long. Particularly if he improves our performance at THREE positions on the OL if you consider how much Ferguson & Mangold will (or at least should) improve. Ferguson's improvement will also increase the production of Baker; Baker's increased production will have an impact on our WR's and also the running game. It really could be a snowball effect. Or more to the point, how much of a snowball effect of decreased production having a total stiff like Clarke caused.

Look we have to ovewr pay for people... we are not the most popular team to join.. until we start winng on a consistant basis.. im just happy we are making power moves... now we we have to draft mcfadden since our o-line is fixed..

Look we have to ovewr pay for people... we are not the most popular team to join.. until we start winng on a consistant basis.. im just happy we are making power moves... now we we have to draft mcfadden since our o-line is fixed..

Agree except for the part about McFadden being a need.

Archived