Let's rock

Jet Moses

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for that one, as well. Why weren't they a bigger success, I wonder?

too much competition and they were lost in the shuffle maybe? either that or theres probably some crazy story to it.

Like this band for example, the 13 Floor Elevators. Roky Erikson, Lead singer taught janis joplin how to sing. he got busted for pot in texas and spent 2 years there. totally ****ed them.

CRLWV8Cvjr0

too much competition and they were lost in the shuffle maybe? either that or theres probably some crazy story to it.

Like this band for example, the 13 Floor Elevators. Roky Erikson, Lead singer taught janis joplin how to sing. he got busted for pot in texas and spent 2 years there. totally ****ed them.

CRLWV8Cvjr0

I've heard that tune before but didn't know the group or the history. I want to post Rice Pudding by Jeff Beck--from Beckola--but it's not on YouTube. It has a classic riff that even Hendrix used in some solos as an homage to Beck. Oh well. Here's an up tempo number (The Ocean) from our pals Led Zeppelin. This song always reminds me of summer.

eGSXM8yTbEA

I've heard that tune before but didn't know the group or the history. I want to post Rice Pudding by Jeff Beck--from Beckola--but it's not on YouTube. It has a classic riff that even Hendrix used in some solos as an homage to Beck. Oh well. Here's an up tempo number (The Ocean) from our pals Led Zeppelin. This song always reminds me of summer.

eGSXM8yTbEA

I love bonham in that song. "We've done 4 already and now we're steady and then they went 1, 2, 3, 4.." boom

I love bonham in that song. "We've done 4 already and now we're steady and then they went 1, 2, 3, 4.." boom

He was amazing and funny, too. (RIP) Speaking of "boom", I am posting a video of the Plasmatics with Wendy O. Williams. It's not one tune because that does not exist on YouTube and I can't share the music I paid for with anyone over the internet. That makes sense, huh? Anyway, these guys--without any shred of exaggeration--are my all time idols in the punk/mental patient rock genre. Wendy's stage presence and overall insanity has never been matched. (RIP) My brother had the good fortune to catch one of their shows back in the late 70s, the highlight of which was Wendy blowing up a car and firing a shotgun repeatedly into the audience. He said the place flipped because they didn't know it was coming and/or if Wendy had finally gone off the rails completely and was firing live rounds into the crowd. Just the best stuff.

pBd26f1XoyY&feature=related

**EXPLICIT LANGUAGE, SOME NUDITY AND VIOLENT IMAGES**

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know the documentary in which that was taken from?

What's up, man. Look at the opening of the video clip. They reference the documentary. I've heard it's awesome, but have not seen it. Wendy has never been matched, and I don't think she ever will. If you get the chance, check out "Butcher Baby", "A Pig Is A Pig" and "Master Plan" by The Plasmatics. I would gladly share them with you, but am prevented from giving you the music I paid for.

What's up, man. Look at the opening of the video clip. They reference the documentary. I've heard it's awesome, but have not seen it. Wendy has never been matched, and I don't think she ever will. If you get the chance, check out "Butcher Baby", "A Pig Is A Pig" and "Master Plan" by The Plasmatics. I would gladly share them with you, but am prevented from giving you the music I paid for.

Yeah, weird huh? I heard about this documentary that specifically came out about punk and my professor was talking it up so I was wondering if that was it. I will check out those songs, too.

• 2 months later...
THE THIRD PARTY! THE WILD PARTY!

Michael Bruce got the riff from Hendrix' Dolly Dagger. ;)

I'll give you that the opening section of "Elected" is similar to that in Hendrix' "Dolly Danger". The rest of the tunes are worlds apart. IMO, the defining portion of "Elected" is the descending riff at the end. Actually, the reason I put that song after the original Alice clip you posted was to illustrate my point about Alice being a showman. Finally, most rock songs are written in similar keys, which naturally spurs on similar chord progressions and riffs within them. You could argue that all tunes written after Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Chuck Berry--and the chord changes and lead lines within them-- are copies and derivative of the original masterworks.

I'll give you that the opening section of "Elected" is similar to that in Hendrix' "Dolly Danger". The rest of the tunes are worlds apart. IMO, the defining portion of "Elected" is the descending riff at the end. Actually, the reason I put that song after the original Alice clip you posted was to illustrate my point about Alice being a showman. Finally, most rock songs are written in similar keys, which naturally spurs on similar chord progressions and riffs within them. You could argue that all tunes written after Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Chuck Berry--and the chord changes and lead lines within them-- are copies and derivative of the original masterworks.

Hey, even a great songwriter like John Lennon stole from himself---

Instant Karma and All you need in love use the same exact chords and chord changes. ;)

Yet they are totally different songs.

You could argue that all tunes written after Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Chuck Berry--and the chord changes and lead lines within them-- are copies and derivative of the original masterworks

We are all dipping from the same well. ;)

I wouldn't put Chuck Berry on that list, though. Alot of people over the years have said that it was his piano player, Johnny Johnson who wrote Chuck's hits.

Hey, even a great songwriter like John Lennon stole from himself---

Instant Karma and All you need in love use the same exact chords and chord changes. ;)

Yet they are totally different songs.

You could argue that all tunes written after Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Chuck Berry--and the chord changes and lead lines within them-- are copies and derivative of the original masterworks

We are all dipping from the same well. ;)

I wouldn't put Chuck Berry on that list, though. Alot of people over the years have said that it was his piano player, Johnny Johnson who wrote Chuck's hits.

I know, it's only rock & roll, but I like it. :) I agree with everything you've said except for the part about Chuck Berry. Although I fully acknowledge Johnny Johnson's influence and musical skill--and was there ever a better slammin' rock piano player!?--I have read in many places that Chuck wrote most of those tunes when he was still working as a painter. Everybody in rock--from classic to death metal--still pretty much play the changes like Chuck.

You'll dig this Drums/Borgo/JetMo/Jimmy - just came across this definitive moment in rock history and happen to know a little of the background on it.

1965 Newport FOLK Festival - where up till this point in the past it had been Dylan, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger ..... strumming their acoustic guitars and singing into a couple condenser mics

180px-Joan_Baez_Bob_Dylan.jpg

then whambo-jambo mothrfker's .....

Dylan closes up the "folk" fest playing with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and one Mr. Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar. The rest is history. This rare footage shows the sound check prior to them playing Maggies Farm. Look for Butterfield sitting on one of the amps in back. Some people were so bummed out from the electronic outburst that they left in a huff. Everybody else had their minds blown and the music was never the same again. Thank God.

t6I1JSyc8R0

You'll dig this Drums/Borgo/JetMo/Jimmy - just came across this definitive moment in rock history and happen to know a little of the background on it.

1965 Newport FOLK Festival - where up till this point in the past it had been Dylan, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger ..... strumming their acoustic guitars and singing into a couple condenser mics

Dylan closes up the "folk" fest playing with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and one Mr. Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar. The rest is history. This rare footage shows the sound check prior to them playing Maggies Farm. Look for Butterfield sitting on one of the amps in back. Some people were so bummed out from the electronic outburst that they left in a huff. Everybody else had their minds blown and the music was never the same again. Thank God.

t6I1JSyc8R0

Thanks for sharing this great clip, NJ. This is one of those defining moments in rock/folk history. I'd always read that the folkies at the concert, that had previously idolized Dylan, were so stunned by his acceptance of electric instruments and usage of a bigger/better PA system, that they either walked out or tried to boo him off the stage. Although I'm sure he was hurt by this negative reaction from his legion of fans, you've got to give it to Dylan for not budging an inch and sticking to his guns. (Although if I remember it correctly, Peter Yarrow--of Peter, Paul & Mary fame--convinced him to come back to the stage after the electric set and play some classic Dylan tunes on a borrowed acoustic.) How much of a genius/maverick was Dylan to create an even larger body of work in the electric medium? Poet, songsmith, musician, performer...just an astounding--visionary--talent.

t6I1JSyc8R0

I love early Dylan but I really LOVE Dylan in 65-67 (prob more like 65- 68). Thanks NJ that Video and the Rockin Maggies Farm is great.

(Although if I remember it correctly, Peter Yarrow--of Peter, Paul & Mary fame--convinced him to come back to the stage after the electric set and play some classic Dylan tunes on a borrowed acoustic.)

Thats true Bro - they (Sam Lay - Drums, Jerome Arnold - Bass, Barry Goldberg and Al Kooper keyboards, and Bloomfield on his Telecaster that he carried with him without a case all the way from Chicago) had only practiced the evening before and only had 3 songs down - so that's what the Newport Festival got. And it was Peter Yarrow that found an acoustic for Dylan and told him to get his azz back out on the stage and do some of his old stuff - the people were pissed enough.

Thanks for the first look at the next "super group", or "power duo". LS, I really like the tone and vibe you're getting off that austere kit. Now that's old school. Keep the vids coming.

Thanks. I love that drumset & the 24 in bass drum. Was a bit difficult finding 24x14 (mitch mitchell style) but I did and couldn't be happier. Exactly what I was looking for. We are in the early stages of the take over :)

Archived