Let's rock

Jet Moses

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice^

I'm looking for Cactus but not having much luck trying to find the song I want. Here's BBA. This was actually supposed to be the original Superstition but Steve got it out sooner. Beck wrote the riff and as usual he was pretty pissed. That was the original story I read in an interview with Carmine Appice but Wiki is saying that Stevie wrote it for Beck. So not sure the story now but I would believe the drummer of the band over wiki in this instance.

aBpSeyk1z4o

I loved BBA as a kid. They should have been a more important band. Jeff Beck was so ahead of everyone in terms of distortion, and--really--most other effects that are standard in rock today, that it's not funny. He took a standard by Howlin' Wolf--I Ain't Superstitious--and gave it a different, rocked out vibe. The singer and the bass player (Rod Stewart and Ron Wood respectively) in the band were pretty good, too. I play this song--both versions--on my guitar just about every time I practice.

luY85TdQD78

Q7cp899Dcdc

Borgoguy, great Uriah Heep and Rainbow finds!

Tony Carey was the keyboard player for Rainbow during the Rising sessions; he had some solo success at the dawn of MTV:

6T70r-c1kdI

I had not made that connection, JetMo. Thanks for bringing this tune out of oblivion. I like it. Cool 80s sound.

Yeah the Jeff Beck Group was pretty damn amazing. Too bad Jeff Beck couldnt keep a damn band together. Rod Stewart was awesome. Bogert and Appice were supposed to get together with Stewart and Beck, before Cactus was formed. And they were going to be like an American Zeppelin. I bet that would have been pretty sick.

Here's a real rocking band that is actually out there right now. Possibly the best rock band in 2000 when this video was taken.

tBFjPVHFXhk

I can't believe I missed this one in the thread. Where are those guys out of Drums? They kick it hard. Thats one of my fav Yardbirds jams - actually a cover of a Mose Allison tune. Here's our band playing it about 20 BPM slower than those guy's and more like the Yardbirds cut - It's real easy to let this one get away from you.

http://www.zr02.com/INT.mp3

I can't believe I missed this one in the thread. Where are those guys out of Drums? They kick it hard. Thats one of my fav Yardbirds jams - actually a cover of a Mose Allison tune. Here's our band playing it about 20 BPM slower than those guy's and more like the Yardbirds cut - It's real easy to let this one get away from you.

http://www.zr02.com/INT.mp3

It's The Mooney Suzuki and they are from NYC.

you see how much we miss our artists who are no longer with us BG? They are irreplaceable...Mick Ronson by no means was a shredder-there were a thousand cats who could play faster but he had something they didn't have; exceptional taste...tasty licks is what he provided-even on that mandolin

fwIQlJsD_Lg

I am completely blown away by this video, JetMo. Not only because I cannot remember when I would have last thought about The Cramps, but because of the sheer genius of its concept: To perform at a dance for a group of people confined to an insane asylum. Every scam/guerilla theater episode/mind f**k I have ever done pales in comparison. Thanks for posting the vid.

you see how much we miss our artists who are no longer with us BG? They are irreplaceable...Mick Ronson by no means was a shredder-there were a thousand cats who could play faster but he had something they didn't have; exceptional taste...tasty licks is what he provided-even on that mandolin

I have always hated players that sacrificed taste, tone and feel for pure speed, Ingwe Malmsteen and Steve Vai come to mind for me. IMO, it's not the number of notes per second that you play, but the ones you choose and how you phrase them. One guitarist who fits this bill is Mick Ralphs, formerly of Mott and Bad Company. Not the best player in the world, but he could really lay out tasty licks, as you state. Check out this Mott clip of Rock & Roll Queen from way back in 1970. (The vid won't imbed, so I've given you the link.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PkG2XWfCoA&feature=related

But, to me, there has never been a greater example of such a player as Joe Walsh with The James Gang. This guy could write--and play--full out, crushing rock riffs or soulful phrases. Just listen to the opening bends and main lick/shuffle beat in Funk 49. I get goose bumps.

U_qHU_6Ofc0

But, to me, there has never been a greater example of such a player as Joe Walsh with The James Gang. This guy could write--and play--full out, crushing rock riffs or soulful phrases. Just listen to the opening bends and main lick/shuffle beat in Funk 49. I get goose bumps.

U_qHU_6Ofc0

You betcha Borgo. Classic.

You betcha Borgo. Classic.

Every once in a while I think about how much of an influence Walsh was to my playing and appreciation of "riff rock". Did anybody boogie harder? I still recall listening to Rides Again in my friend Frankie's garage, and how amazed we were by the power chords in the chorus of "The Bomber". Two idiots were bashing away at their guitars a short while later. :)

EDIT: Check out the snippet of Ravel's Bolero in the trippy middle of the tune. Walsh was sick.

u1yiCyCvW4g

The Tubes

White Punks on Dope

(One of the most rousing choruses in rock's history.)

6iFN_pvUi_A

White Punks On Dope

Evans/Spooner/Steen

Teenage had a race for the night time

Spent my cash on every high I could find

Wasted time in every school in L.A.

Getting loose, I didn't care what the kids say

We're white punks on dope

Mom & Dad moved to Hollywood

Hang myself when I get enough rope

Can't clean up, though I know I should

White punks on dope