Jets | Talks with J. Abraham can Resume

Smizzy

Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:31:44 -0700

The Star-Ledger reports the New York Jets and DE John Abraham, the team's franchise player, can resume talks today about a long-term contract per league rules. However, the Jets are balking at giving Abraham a long-term deal because of his injury history. Last season, he missed the final four games of the regular season and two playoff games after suffering a torn lateral collateral ligament in his left knee.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Star-Ledger reports the New York Jets and DE John Abraham, the team's franchise player, can resume talks today about a long-term contract per league rules. However, the Jets are balking at giving Abraham a long-term deal because of his injury history. Last season, he missed the final four games of the regular season and two playoff games after suffering a torn lateral collateral ligament in his left knee.

That article should continue...

" he missed the final four games of the regular season and two playoff games after suffering a torn lateral collateral ligament in his left knee when he could have come back for at least one of them."

BZ

" he missed the final four games of the regular season and two playoff games after suffering a torn lateral collateral ligament in his left knee when he could have come back for at least one of them."

BZ

BZ

it was only a matter of time before this started again. BZ - if you are hurt, you are hurt. The team postured like he was going to play when they knew along he was out - this is the same thing BB does week in and week out and noone says anything about it.

the players came to J Abe's defense on this - they know just how hurt he was. Abe had a problem w/alchohol 2 years ago and has since completely turned his act around.

BZ

it was only a matter of time before this started again. BZ - if you are hurt, you are hurt. The team postured like he was going to play when they knew along he was out - this is the same thing BB does week in and week out and noone says anything about it.

the players came to J Abe's defense on this - they know just how hurt he was. Abe had a problem w/alchohol 2 years ago and has since completely turned his act around.

Rookie I can only respond this way - If he had played, we never would have lost in Pittsburgh! There is no I in team & Mr. Abraham is only interested in I & not TEAM.

Also, most of the players who came foreward backing up his injury were standing firm based on the PLAYERS/AGENTS association's comments...

Rookie I can only respond this way - If he had played, we never would have lost in Pittsburgh! There is no I in team & Mr. Abraham is only interested in I & not TEAM.

Also, most of the players who came foreward backing up his injury were standing firm based on the PLAYERS/AGENTS association's comments...

In no way do I believe that John Abraham could've played in the playoffs last year. I think he gets an unfair rap on that one. The man was hurt. He couldn't go.

I also don't think the Jets should sign him long term right now. My opinion's subject to change if Johnny Abe comes smokin' out of the gate this season. I may start campaigning to get him re-upped. I changed my tune last year, before he got hurt again.

They should let him play out his tender, and address it again in February. If it comes down to it, they need to have $8M set aside to tag him again.

The guy's frustrating as all hell, but he's a difference maker when he's on the field and feels like playing.

In no way do I believe that John Abraham could've played in the playoffs last year. I think he gets an unfair rap on that one. The man was hurt. He couldn't go.

I also don't think the Jets should sign him long term right now. My opinion's subject to change if Johnny Abe comes smokin' out of the gate this season. I may start campaigning to get him re-upped. I changed my tune last year, before he got hurt again.

They should let him play out his tender, and address it again in February. If it comes down to it, they need to have $8M set aside to tag him again.

The guy's frustrating as all hell, but he's a difference maker when he's on the field and feels like playing.

If Abe had suited up for the Steeler game and was on the field for 6-8 critical plays, you think the Steelers offense might have done a few things differently?

And wasn't he medically cleared to play prior to the Charger game?

If Abe had suited up for the Steeler game and was on the field for 6-8 critical plays, you think the Steelers offense might have done a few things differently?

And wasn't he medically cleared to play prior to the Charger game?[/quote]

NO

And wasn't he medically cleared to play prior to the Charger game?[/quote]

NO

The image that defines John Abraham's Jets career: Pittsburgh playoff game, fourth quarter, Sean Ellis and Bryan Thomas suffering from cramps, so bad that Ellis has to limp back to the locker room for IV treatment. Ellis runs back out of the tunnel to take his position at the end of the D-Line, the Steelers snap the ball, Ellis, half-dead, extends his body around a block, reaches out and forces a Jerome Bettis fumble which the Jets recover, giving the Jets new life in that game when it looked like the Steelers were going to ice it. On the sidelines, John Abraham in street clothes, including a huge diamond stud earring, jumps...I repeat, jumps...in excitement on a -quote- "bad knee" -endquote-.

The image that defines John Abraham's Jets career: Pittsburgh playoff game, fourth quarter, Sean Ellis and Bryan Thomas suffering from cramps, so bad that Ellis has to limp back to the locker room for IV treatment. Ellis runs back out of the tunnel to take his position at the end of the D-Line, the Steelers snap the ball, Ellis, half-dead, extends his body around a block, reaches out and forces a Jerome Bettis fumble which the Jets recover, giving the Jets new life in that game when it looked like the Steelers were going to ice it. On the sidelines, John Abraham in street clothes, including a huge diamond stud earring, jumps...I repeat, jumps...in excitement on a -quote- "bad knee" -endquote-.

ya , this turd has done a 360......

ya , this turd has done a 360......

I think he would've been exposed as completely unable to make a difference on his first play. On the next 5-7 plays, the Steelers might've done something different alright. They might've run their plays right at him.

The Jets were playing the ol' familiar doubtful/questionable/probable game that teams play when they want their opponent to gameplan for someone who'll be wearing a cast that week.

John Abraham's game is all about speed. Even if they dressed him, he would've been useless out there. The Jets could've put him in uniform and kept him on the sidelines as some sort of psychological game, but they're too conservative for that, and wanted a body that could actually perform to be in uniform instead.

I think he would've been exposed as completely unable to make a difference on his first play. On the next 5-7 plays, the Steelers might've done something different alright. They might've run their plays right at him.

The Jets were playing the ol' familiar doubtful/questionable/probable game that teams play when they want their opponent to gameplan for someone who'll be wearing a cast that week.

John Abraham's game is all about speed. Even if they dressed him, he would've been useless out there. The Jets could've put him in uniform and kept him on the sidelines as some sort of psychological game, but they're too conservative for that, and wanted a body that could actually perform to be in uniform instead.

he is bad news,,

he is nothing more than a fur wearing, gangsta jewelery wearing thug who has no team values and is NEVER there when we need him,,lest we forget his booze fest that hampered him in the Oakland playoff game before last seasons pussyfest,,,,

he is bad news,,

he is nothing more than a fur wearing, gangsta jewelery wearing thug who has no team values and is NEVER there when we need him,,lest we forget his booze fest that hampered him in the Oakland playoff game before last seasons pussyfest,,,,

:Blah::Blah::Blah:

:Blah::Blah::Blah:

There are some forgetful people here.

It was clear last year, before that game the he was CLEARED to play and he COULD HAVE PLAYED. That is a fact.

He chose, and said he chose, not to play because he was worried about his "career".

Take Martin on the other side. The guy has played through some of the most monstrous and painful injuries. Never looking back only forward.

I am not saying that Abe isn't a good player, because he clearly is, but since he come out, he has been a problem drinker and injury prone.

He can quickly get back my full respect, not that it matters, by playing a full year, from beginning to end, not drunk, not injured, just playing like a man possessed.

BZ

There are some forgetful people here.

It was clear last year, before that game the he was CLEARED to play and he COULD HAVE PLAYED. That is a fact.

He chose, and said he chose, not to play because he was worried about his "career".

Take Martin on the other side. The guy has played through some of the most monstrous and painful injuries. Never looking back only forward.

I am not saying that Abe isn't a good player, because he clearly is, but since he come out, he has been a problem drinker and injury prone.

He can quickly get back my full respect, not that it matters, by playing a full year, from beginning to end, not drunk, not injured, just playing like a man possessed.

BZ

Slats, if Abe, at that point, was already signed to a 6 year, $60 million dollar deal, do you think he finds a way to suit up?

Archived