Building a team..Is free agency the way?

JonEJet

You need both the Free Agency and Draft period when you are building your team.

Also, the Jets are spending their money on former Pro Bowl or Pro Bowl performers this offseason. Not dishing out $15-20 million guarenteed to Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuleta.

Of course it needs to be a combo of both.....BUT are we taking it too far

If we sig, all the players we're talking about, where does that leave us with the Coles, Rhodes?

Can;t put al the cash out there...need to save some for the core players

Seems that Tangini has a plan this time....somewhat refreshing

If we sig, all the players we're talking about, where does that leave us with the Coles, Rhodes?

We should save about 10 million once we get rid of D Rob and Coles is not a top priority, imho. We need to develop someone younger. Rhodes will be a priority - but remember this is a Jets team that severly lacks talent and I believe Tangini has been planning for this offseason since coming in. I'm not worried because the Jets haven't been going out there every year and signing players to huge deals. They have been quiet the last couple of offseasons.

We absolutely can not go into next season with Cotch as the #1 guy

Coles must stay

I agree, but we can not shell out money and a huge bonus to a guy who could be forced to retire with one more hit.

Coles must stay

Yes because Cotchery was so terrible without Coles playing on the other side of him. :rolleyes:

Coles is tradeable and expandable. Javon Walker or Bryant Johnson would look great in Jet green. Continue the rebuilding of the unit with the Hardy kid in Round 2 and we'll see how much we'll miss Concussion Coles.

I think the Jets FO is making the right moves here because the lines needed to be fixed NOW, not next year. Signing veterans fixes the problem. Drafting people is good but you won't be able to count on most rookies right away.

With Faneca and possibly Woody our OL is tremendously better than it was last year, and we could still draft somebody.

Look at it this way: in 2008 we're doing this year's FA acquisitions plus the ones we didn't make in the past. Plus they are at positions of not merely need; they are at positions of total emptiness. In terms of talent requisite for a competent lineup in the schemes we incorporate, we had no NT; we had no LG; we had no RT; we have only one OLB and he's coming off a sucky season. There isn't a 3rd WR on the team who instills confidence in anyone.

We also have no short-yardage RB, no reliable FB (Tutt), and are in dire need of an upgrade at CB#2 (Barrett/Miller) and ILB#2 (Barton).

Look at that list again & take it all in:

RB for short-yardage/goal-line

FB

WR#1 (#3 at least)

LG

RT

OLB

ILB

CB#2

To attempt to solve all of that by finding starters in TWO drafts is optimistic to say the least. To attempt it in one draft (never mind using all those rookies right away as starters) would mean our FO/CS does not have a firm grip - or even a loose one - on reality.

A big splash in FA and/or trades for proven veterans, particularly with gobs of cap room, wasn't much of a decision. It was mandatory.

I agree, but we can not shell out money and a huge bonus to a guy who could be forced to retire with one more hit.

spend the $ on Moss - go get 'em

Building through the draft is a good idea, but you need to have some pro-bowlers around to guide/mentor the kids that you bring in thru the draft. we'll get more out of D'brick / mangold because we picked up Faneca.

Once the Jets take it to a certain point they can stockpile draft picks and develop replacements and depth. The team has one #4 (for Kendall) and possibly two (#2 or 3 for Vilma) extra picks next year. And it still has Robertson and Pennington to trade for more picks.

With all the needs we have screw it, I can't wait any longer for building through the draft crap. Anyways we are in good position going into the draft because of these signings.

This is the correct answer. We're setting ourselves up for a more fruitful draft.

We have two young starters on o-line already, so fixing that through free agency just makes more sense than trying to develop young players to fill those holes. We'll bounce back much quicker this way.

Coles must stay

I agree in part, but dissent in part as well. Coles does not have to stay, but if he goes, we need to replace him with someone who can be our #1.

Once the Jets take it to a certain point they can stockpile draft picks and develop replacements and depth. The team has one #4 (for Kendall) and possibly two (#2 or 3 for Vilma) extra picks next year. And it still has Robertson and Pennington to trade for more picks.

The #2 (or #3) for Vilma next year is an upgraded pick, not an extra pick; we have to give them back our 4th rounder next yr.

Seems as if we are having a Washington Redskin offseason

Is that the way to go. or is patience through the draft the way to go

Unlike the Deadskin approach I think it takes a combination of FA and drafting. Having a productive FA period such as what we're doing this year takes pressure off HAVING to draft a guy who MUST start right away. This gives the rookie a chance to develop into a better player who will eventually replace an aging ($$) starter down the road.

I actually think they won't pay Coles. And if Rhodes asks for the moon they will send him somewhere. He is a safety. Safeties are nice but they can be replaced. They are spending their money on real core guys. OL and DL. LBs amd CBs. And anyway, whose core are you talking about? Tangini did not bring these guys in. They are not hanging their futures on people they did not sign or draft.

I think that the Jets had so many holes that FA is just the start of things.

Let's also not forget that so far the Jets have only signed one guy through FA.

They have also plugged two of their biggest issue from last season.

They still need to go out in the draft and find a game breaker at WR, Get some OL depth, some more help on DL, a genuine pass rusher and probably a cornerback.

Hopefully those will be addressed in the draft.

I think that the Jets had so many holes that FA is just the start of things.

Let's also not forget that so far the Jets have only signed one guy through FA.

They have also plugged two of their biggest issue from last season.

They still need to go out in the draft and find a game breaker at WR, Get some OL depth, some more help on DL, a genuine pass rusher and probably a cornerback.

Hopefully those will be addressed in the draft.

You left out OLB!

Coles must stay

Coles is under contract. Let him whine all he wants. Doing so would only make him look like an ass considering what we've done to field a winning football team.

Archived