JETS TO MEET WITH RB JESSE CHATMAN

gangreenman

Am I the only person who thinks leon washington can be an everydown back regardless of his size...?? Look at tiki.

If he can't be, it's not because of his size. Some guys just don't take the pounding of 20+ touches every week. I mean Clinton Portis outweighs him by like 3 pounds (allegedly).

What the hell do we need an "every down back" for anyway? Jersey sales?

When was the last time a team won a superbowl using the same back all season long on 1st/2nd/3rd downs and also short-yardage - the Rams in '99?

The Jets will entertain free agent RB Jesse Chatman on Wednesday.

New York is said to be interested in a backup for Thomas Jones, but already has Leon Washington. Chatman may be viewed as more of a complement.

Source: Palm Beach Post

-Rotoworld

I saw Chatman a few times last season and he looked good to me. He will certainly be a good third RB for the Jets, good insurance v injury to Thomas. I chalked Chatman's success up to a good Offensive line (Satale and Hadnot are good, relentless run blockers), but also he gives very good effort. A pretty good fit, it seems to me.

Add another name to the Ed Reed, Favre, Marino, Sapp list. I hope you're wrong.

Bust DMC will never be a top tier Running Back in the NFL. Bank on it. I cannot understand the love affair some have for him.

Bust DMC will never be a top tier Running Back in the NFL. Bank on it. I cannot understand the love affair some have for him.

I guess you never saw him in college or maybe he ran over your dog. Either way I really think that you're going to be eating your words. Regretting not taking a guy like that just kills a franchise.

I must be missing something here but why would I add McFadden to a list of great players like the ones you named?

Because his upside is as high as the upsides of those players. Passing up McFadden might come back to haunt the jets for years. I don't expect to change your mind... It looks that it's pretty well made up.

F it, we've built up so much tolerance to passing up those types of players that it shouldn't even bother anyone anymore. ;)

Back on topic: Chatham is a thumper, exactly what this team needs. A no guts no glory type of RB who just comes in and bangs home a tough 1 or 2 yards when you REALLY need it.

Seriously doubt it. Also I still haven't seen any footage that shows this kid breaking NFL-style tackles. I did see him push a corner or two around, but then I even saw Thomas Jones do that in '07. Most of all, I see him running through enormous holes that won't be there at the pro level with that type of frequency, no matter who we add on the OL. And if our line COULD create so many holes like that, then McFadden is unnecessary anyway.

I'm not suggesting Jones is better than DMC, because I don't even think that.

I just don't think he's a necessity. And with his obvious immaturity level & lack of tackle-breaking ability, is an unnecessary risk at #6.

From what I've seen, he's VERY fast, has a quick juke-move, and that's about it. Now that's not nothing, mind you. But I think people have an expectation that he's SO fast he'll just outrun everyone on defense with unrealistic frequency. The reality is that no one is that fast.

RB's are only as good as their OL allows. For some, like McFadden, the upside is greater than others (like our own Thomas Jones). I just don't think he's an irreplaceable talent that a team cannot make do - or win - without.

There really is no right & wrong with it. There's only opinion. My opinion is that RB's are a big waste unless you have ABSOLUTELY nothing at the position (like we had when Barlow & Blaylock were our starters). Every once in a while you'll see a Tomlinson or Peterson emerge, but usually you just get Reggie Bush & Cadillac Williams & Cedric Benson, while tandems of Rhodes/Addai, Parker/Bettis, and Bradshaw/Jacobs get superbowl rings.

Prepare yourself. I doubt there's 1 chance in 10 we draft this immature kid at #6.

I guess you never saw him in college or maybe he ran over your dog. Either way I really think that you're going to be eating your words. Regretting not taking a guy like that just kills a franchise.

Well what he did in college was show people that once he is hit, he is going down. He is NOTHING like Adrian Peterson in terms of Peterson has the toughness and ability to run over you and carry two or three men on his shouldrs. Bust DMC? He'll go down faster than a folding chair. Good for him that he can take a direct snap and run up the middle 60 yards. Congrats. I'm sorry, but that doesn't happen in the NFL. Direct snaps are usually stopped and they are few and far between as well.

The Jets do not need another Blair Thomas.

For every Adrian Peterson, there are five Blair Thomas' and KiJana Carter's.

Because his upside is as high as the upsides of those players. Passing up McFadden might come back to haunt the jets for years. I don't expect to change your mind... It looks that it's pretty well made up.

He's a fast RB who stops the second a defender touches him. He's shown no ability to break tackles, in the NFL he cant run his gimmick offenses and he wont go untouched to the end zone.

He ran a 4.33 forty, so did Derick Blaylock.

I agree. I think if Gholston and both Longs are gone and they cant trade down then the Jets will turn to CB, either McKelvin or Cromartie (blend of need and BAP). Then best OLB pass rusher in round two.

He's a fast RB who stops the second a defender touches him. He's shown no ability to break tackles, in the NFL he cant run his gimmick offenses and he wont go untouched to the end zone.

He ran a 4.33 forty, so did Derick Blaylock.

Did Blaylock dominate the best conference in the country?

Did Blaylock dominate the best conference in the country?

We should just wait and draft Tim Tebow as are running back, he ran for 22 TD's in the best conference in football. I'm personally still pissed we didn't trade up to get bush a couple years ago, my god was he a dominant college back

We should just wait and draft Tim Tebow as are running back, he ran for 22 TD's in the best conference in football. I'm personally still pissed we didn't trade up to get bush a couple years ago, my god was he a dominant college back

So because Reggie Bush didn't work out lets never draft a RB again... That logic sucks. You can name busts at every position.

So because Reggie Bush didn't work out lets never draft a RB again... That logic sucks. You can name busts at every position.

I wouldn't say that. But I would say it shows that there are no sure things. For months all I heard about Bush was that he was the best RB prospect in 17 years (since Sanders). And he's not even fit to start on most NFL teams, including the one that drafted him.

I wouldn't say that. But I would say it shows that there are no sure things. For months all I heard about Bush was that he was the best RB prospect in 17 years (since Sanders). And he's not even fit to start on most NFL teams, including the one that drafted him.

I never said McFadden was a sure thing. I just think his upside is too high to pass up on.

No I would be happy if we drafted Mendenhall but 6 is to high for him. We just shouldn't draft a back because he was to fast for college defenders(Bush, McFadden) without the ability to break tackles because you aren't going to just walk into the endzone in the NFL.

i saw him in college and he ran out of the quaterback postion.. with ur logic Brad Smith should be our running back and is a hall of famer bc in college he was the most dominate QB that could run. Mcfadden is horrible, he gets poked in the leg he goes down, and his speed is overratted. there will be atleast 5 running backs out of this draft that will have a better career then him.

Lets make brad smith starting running back or we could just get vick make him running back

Seriously doubt it. Also I still haven't seen any footage that shows this kid breaking NFL-style tackles. I did see him push a corner or two around, but then I even saw Thomas Jones do that in '07. Most of all, I see him running through enormous holes that won't be there at the pro level with that type of frequency, no matter who we add on the OL. And if our line COULD create so many holes like that, then McFadden is unnecessary anyway.

I'm not suggesting Jones is better than DMC, because I don't even think that.

I just don't think he's a necessity. And with his obvious immaturity level & lack of tackle-breaking ability, is an unnecessary risk at #6.

From what I've seen, he's VERY fast, has a quick juke-move, and that's about it. Now that's not nothing, mind you. But I think people have an expectation that he's SO fast he'll just outrun everyone on defense with unrealistic frequency. The reality is that no one is that fast.

RB's are only as good as their OL allows. For some, like McFadden, the upside is greater than others (like our own Thomas Jones). I just don't think he's an irreplaceable talent that a team cannot make do - or win - without.

There really is no right & wrong with it. There's only opinion. My opinion is that RB's are a big waste unless you have ABSOLUTELY nothing at the position (like we had when Barlow & Blaylock were our starters). Every once in a while you'll see a Tomlinson or Peterson emerge, but usually you just get Reggie Bush & Cadillac Williams & Cedric Benson, while tandems of Rhodes/Addai, Parker/Bettis, and Bradshaw/Jacobs get superbowl rings.

Prepare yourself. I doubt there's 1 chance in 10 we draft this immature kid at #6.

He is also not getting a third of his yards out of the QB position in the NFL. He reminds me of an option tailback. All speed.

I think one of our (many) problems last year was we never replaced Cedric Houston who was an effective short yardage back for us the year before-I put Chatham about at his level and he did a fine job for Miami when called on

How many drives died because we couldn't convert 3rd/4th and short/goal? With all the games lost by <7 points this impacts not only the offense, but keeps the defense from coming back on the field. Doesn't seem like a big time impact signing but actually fills a huge need.

I Watched alot of this guy in pre-season and during the season,This guy is very solid all around. If we grab him and have him come in when TJ needs a break ,everyone will see this guys upside, Fights hard for extra yds,Fast threw the holes,good juke moves...and he doesn't fumble the ball away.I vote yes on Chattman

He gave Ronnie Brown a run for his money and all the dolphin fans witnessed it

Archived