Kris Jenkins to be weighed 10 times per season, only 9.5 million guaranteed

gangreenman

Kris Jenkins' five-year contract with the Jets is actually for $30.25 million. It includes a $4.5 million signing bonus.

It was initially reported as a $35 million pact with $20 million in bonuses, but only $9.5 million (his total 2008 take) is guaranteed. Jenkins will be weighed ten times per season and paid $25,000 each time he makes his weight. The NY Daily News reports Jenkins finished last year weighing 390 pounds.

Source: New York Daily News

-Rotoworld

I hadn't seen this posted before, if it has I'm sorry. This is news to me.

Kris Jenkins' five-year contract with the Jets is actually for $30.25 million. It includes a $4.5 million signing bonus.

It was initially reported as a $35 million pact with $20 million in bonuses, but only $9.5 million (his total 2008 take) is guaranteed. Jenkins will be weighed ten times per season and paid $25,000 each time he makes his weight. The NY Daily News reports Jenkins finished last year weighing 390 pounds

per rotoworld

I hadn't seen this posted before, if it has I'm sorry. This is news to me.

It was initially reported as a $35 million pact with $20 million in bonuses, but only $9.5 million (his total 2008 take) is guaranteed. Jenkins will be weighed ten times per season and paid $25,000 each time he makes his weight. The NY Daily News reports Jenkins finished last year weighing 390 pounds

per rotoworld

Jinx! lol.

Thats what I was thinking.

With the panthers, this guys job was in part to rush the passer.

With the Jets, its to take up space and try and push back two linemen.

Is it bad to have him weight 390 if he can play?

Maybe the clause is for a minimum weight?

Maybe the clause is for a minimum weight?

We should have put that into D'Brick's contract, lol.

Seriously, this makes much more sense. Jenkins was under contract already through 2010. I didn't understand giving him so much more money for what equates to a 2 year extension three years from now.

I'm loving this trade even more than before. Freakin' awesome job by Tannenbaum. =D>

We should have put that into D'Brick's contract, lol.

Seriously, this makes much more sense. Jenkins was under contract already through 2010. I didn't understand giving him so much more money for what equates to a 2 year extension three years from now.

I'm loving this trade even more than before. Freakin' awesome job by Tannenbaum. =D>

Agreed 100%..Tannenbaum did a great job with this contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2375

2/29/2008: Signed a five-year, $30.25 million contract. The deal contains $9.5 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million signing bonus, and annual workout bonuses of $500,000. Jenkins will be weighed 10 times per season and gets $25,000 each times he makes weight. 2008: $750,000 (+ $3.5 million roster bonus + $750,000 in workout/weight bonuses), 2009-2012: Under Contract, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charge: $5.9 million (2008).

So the annual costs in addition to his salaries are $900K/yr for amortized signing bonus and $750K/yr for workout/weigh-in bonuses (if he makes the weight all 10x every year) = $1,650,000 per year.

-------------------

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=30121

Annual salaries:

2008: $750,000

2009: $750,000

2010: $2,250,000

2011: $3,750,000

2012: $5,000,000

--------------------

Jenkins' annual cap #'s (assuming he makes the weight 10x every year):

2008 = $5,900,000 (includes $3.5M roster bonus)

2009 = $2,400,000 (costs $3.6M to cut, either in 1 yr or over 2 yrs)

2010 = $3,900,000 (costs $2.7M to cut, either in 1 yr or over 2 yrs)

2011 = $5,400,000 (costs $1.8M to cut, either in 1 yr or over 2 yrs)

2012 = $6,650,000 (costs $900,000 to cut)

Even if we keep him for all 5 years, the final year at $6.65M in 2012 (when the salary cap should be around $140M) is still ~$5M less than DRob would have counted in 2008 on a $116M cap.

This contract kicks ass.

Actually his job was more of a run stuffer and to draw a doubleteam to free up Peppers.

Jenkins does have an issue with weight when he is not a happy camper. He did not participate in OTA's last year and there was word that he was around the 400lbs mark last year.

I don't think you will be seeing that this year a Camp Mangini.

so Sperm Edwards....how much do you figure we have left to spend after today's news of DRob and his 8 million gone and this new deal reports about Jenkins?

Can't say at this point. Neither Faneca's nor Pouha's 2008 numbers have been released yet. Nor has DRob's trade been made official as I understand it.

But if you want to

• guess that DRob's trade goes through (to Cincy or someone else)
  • guess that Faneca counts $7M or so this year (could be more, could be less depending on how much is sign bonus, how much is roster/workout bonus, and how much is straight salary)
  • guess that Pouha's 3 yr/$6M extension has him at a $2M this year (we don't have any idea how much of the extension was sign bonus, roster bonus, or straight salary)

Then we would be at around $101-102M right now, or $14-15M under the 2008 cap. This only counts the top 53 cap numbers plus the 8 guys I have who are dead cap space & not on the team anymore (there may be more than 8 but they'd be insignificant amounts like $10K or less).

This doesn't take into account other possible cuts/trades:

• Barrett (saves $2.85M prior to 6/1; $3.6M after 6/1 or post-6/1 designation)
  • Barton (saves $3.2M any time before September)
  • Coles (saves $3.25M prior to 6/1; $5.0M after 6/1 or post-6/1 designation). Also possible that we extend him, keep in mind.
  • Pennington (saves $1.8M prior to 6/1; $4.8M after 6/1 or post-6/1 designation)

Keep in mind, the additional amount we save this year by doing cuts/trades after 6/1 (or making them count after 6/1) is the same amount in a dead cap hit in 2009.

But I don't like to speculate like this too much & place any concrete/definitive weight into it. Particularly with a contract as significant as Faneca's. But we should be somewhere in that ballpark. With Barrett & Barton, say we're around $20M under.

We also have other contracts coming up:

• Rhodes = I have no idea whatsoever what his contract would/could be
  • #6 overall pick = probably $15M guaranteed with a low salary; figure $3-4M to be conservative
  • second-round pick = probably about $500K change from the current bottom-most contract on our top-53
  • all other draft picks combined = probably insignificant change to the players they'd displace in our top 53. Say another $500K if you like.

You could guess that we still have $10-12M to play with this year if we sign Rhodes long-term & don't trade down in the draft. Probably wouldn't be off by more than a couple million in either direction. Enough for Pace and a couple of cheaper guys like Chatman & Richardson.

Can't say at this point. Neither Faneca's nor Pouha's 2008 numbers have been released yet. Nor has DRob's trade been made official as I understand it.

But if you want to

• guess that Faneca counts $7M or so this year (could be more, could be less depending on how much is sign bonus, how much is roster/workout bonus, and how much is straight salary)
  • guess that Pouha's 3 yr/$6M extension has him at a $2M this year (we don't have any idea how much of the extension was sign bonus, roster bonus, or straight salary)

Then we would be at around $101-102M right now, or $14-15M under the 2008 cap. This only counts the top 53 cap numbers plus the 8 guys I have who are dead cap space & not on the team anymore (there may be more than 8 but they'd be insignificant amounts like $10K or less).

• Coles (saves $3.25M prior to 6/1; $5.0M after 6/1 or post-6/1 designation). Also possible that we extend him, keep in mind.
  • Pennington (saves $1.8M prior to 6/1; $4.8M after 6/1 or post-6/1 designation)

Keep in mind, the additional amount we save this year by doing cuts/trades after 6/1 (or making them count after 6/1) is the same amount in a dead cap hit in 2009.

But I don't like to speculate like this too much & place any concrete/definitive weight into it. Particularly with a contract as significant as Faneca's. But we should be somewhere in that ballpark. With Barrett & Barton, say we're around $20M under.

• Revis = I have no idea whatsoever what his contract would/could be
  • #6 overall pick = probably $15M guaranteed with a low salary; figure $3-4M to be conservative
  • second-round pick = probably about $500K change from the current bottom-most contract on our top-53
  • all other draft picks combined = probably insignificant change to the players they'd displace in our top 53. Say another $500K if you like.

You could guess that we still have $10-12M to play with this year if we sign Revis long-term & don't trade down in the draft. Probably wouldn't be off by more than a couple million in either direction. Enough for Pace and a couple of cheaper guys like Chatman & Richardson.

Im assuming you meant Rhodes, not Revis.

Good work though Sperm.

But if you want to

• Revis = I have no idea whatsoever what his contract would/could be

You could guess that we still have $10-12M to play with this year if we sign Revis long-term & don't trade down in the draft. Probably wouldn't be off by more than a couple million in either direction. Enough for Pace and a couple of cheaper guys like Chatman & Richardson.

Nice. I think of the guys you mention only Barrett is a sure cut.

Thanks for this. Really great info.

It's one thing to be heavy but if he weighs THAT much he will probably have very little stamina.

Archived