DROB DEAL OFF

i remember shea

Jets DT Robertson not going to Cincy

Mar 03, 2008 | 8:02AM | report this Despite numerous indications that a deal would go down, the Cincinnati Bengals once again have failed to trade for a new defensive tackle.

FOXSports.com has learned that Dewayne Robertson of the New York Jets, who met with Bengals officials at team headquarters on Monday, will not be traded to Cincinnati.

Robertson has two years remaining on the rookie deal he signed as the No. 4 pick of the 2003 draft. He is set to earn $1.5 million in base salary this season.

Robertson, who spoke Sunday night to Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, has been a poor fit in the 3-4 defensive scheme New York installed when Eric Mangini became head coach in 2006. Robertson, 26, would likely be better suited to play in a 4-3 system as a penetrating-style defensive tackle.

The Bengals thought they had an agreement Friday with Detroit to acquire defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. But a contractual issue nullified the deal, leading to the Lions instead agreeing to send Rogers to Cleveland for a third-round draft pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

Robertson became expendable in New York when the Jets acquired defensive tackle Kris Jenkins in a Friday trade with Carolina. A source said the new Jets contract Jenkins signed includes $9.5 million in guaranteed money and a $4.5 million roster bonus due in March. The total value of the five-year contract is $30.25 million with $18 million coming in the first three seasons, the source said.

Media reports have stated Jenkins was set to earn $20 million in guaranteed money from the Jets.

Jets DT Robertson not going to Cincy

Mar 03, 2008 | 8:02AM | report this Despite numerous indications that a deal would go down, the Cincinnati Bengals once again have failed to trade for a new defensive tackle.

FOXSports.com has learned that Dewayne Robertson of the New York Jets, who met with Bengals officials at team headquarters on Monday, will not be traded to Cincinnati.

Robertson has two years remaining on the rookie deal he signed as the No. 4 pick of the 2003 draft. He is set to earn $1.5 million in base salary this season.

Robertson, who spoke Sunday night to Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, has been a poor fit in the 3-4 defensive scheme New York installed when Eric Mangini became head coach in 2006. Robertson, 26, would likely be better suited to play in a 4-3 system as a penetrating-style defensive tackle.

The Bengals thought they had an agreement Friday with Detroit to acquire defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. But a contractual issue nullified the deal, leading to the Lions instead agreeing to send Rogers to Cleveland for a third-round draft pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

Robertson became expendable in New York when the Jets acquired defensive tackle Kris Jenkins in a Friday trade with Carolina. A source said the new Jets contract Jenkins signed includes $9.5 million in guaranteed money and a $4.5 million roster bonus due in March. The total value of the five-year contract is $30.25 million with $18 million coming in the first three seasons, the source said.

Media reports have stated Jenkins was set to earn $20 million in guaranteed money from the Jets.

so whadda we do now eric? keep him & go back to a 4-3 defense?

from bengals board....The sticking point was Cincy's insistence that Robertson re-do a contract that is set to pay him $9.8 million in 2008. Unless and until the Jets find a team for whom Robertson is willing to take a haircut, the likelihood is that Robertson eventually will be cut before a $3 million roster bonus comes due in June.

there's still time to deal him to another team. the question mark will be if they can get draft picks from another team who will be picking up such a hefty contract. worse case scenario is we get no compensation and we cut him before his roster bonus comes due in june.

Not good at all. The Jets must unload him, whether it be for nothing or to another team or eventually to Cincinnati. Robertson cannot be a Jet in 2008, especially with the signings made today.

Not good at all. The Jets must unload him, whether it be for nothing or to another team or eventually to Cincinnati. Robertson cannot be a Jet in 2008, especially with the signings made today.

There has to be some desperate team out there willing to take D-Rob.We need to move this OVERPAID guy now!

I don't understand DRob's stance really, unless Cincy totally low-balled him. He will never see that $9.8M from the Jets, and if he's released (which he will be if it comes to that) then the contract is over & he's due to be paid nothing until he signs with a new team.

For all we know, Cincy offered him a $5M signing bonus. In this market, if I were in his position I'd have told them to take a hike also.

Jets might be able to create more cap room by releasing him & designating him as a post 6/1 cut. Don't know how that works if he's due a roster bonus on 6/1. But if they're able to do that without paying the roster bonus, it clears up roughly another $2M this year (though that additional savings would hit our '09 cap).

I don't understand DRob's stance really, unless Cincy totally low-balled him. He will never see that $9.8M from the Jets, and if he's released (which he will be if it comes to that) then the contract is over & he's due to be paid nothing until he signs with a new team.

For all we know, Cincy offered him a $5M signing bonus. In this market, if I were in his position I'd have told them to take a hike also.

Jets might be able to create more cap room by releasing him & designating him as a post 6/1 cut. Don't know how that works if he's due a roster bonus on 6/1. But if they're able to do that without paying the roster bonus, it clears up roughly another $2M this year (though that additional savings would hit our '09 cap).

Report: No trade

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 3, 2008

Updated: 6 p.m.

The Bengals apparently broke off trade talks with the Jets for defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson Monday afternoon and they have moved into negotiations with free-agent defensive end Antwan Odom.

FoxSports.com is reporting there won't be a trade. According to published reports, the Bengals and New York had a deal in place pending Cincinnati working out a new contract with Robertson based on money and a physical.

It was another close call for the Bengals two days after the NFL voided their trade with the Lions for defensive tackle Shan Rogers because of a technicality in roster bonus language and left them still trying to shore up a front four bracing for games against six of the NFL's top 10 rushing teams from last season.

The defensive tackle market has been pretty much plucked clean with the Jaguars trading Marcus Stroud to the Bills, and the Packers and Lions shipping Corey Williams and Rogers, respectively to the Browns.

With Odom and his eight sacks in town in a visit confirmed by the team, the Bengals moved on with life after Justin Smith since their starting right end for the past 107 games signed with San Francisco over the weekend. The 6-5, 274-pound Odom knocked down seven passes in his first season as a starter this past year and would give the Bengals another lean and athletic pass-rushing threat opposite left end Robert Geathers.

Odom, a second-round pick out of Alabama in 2004, formed one of the NFL's more potent sack duos with Kyle Vanden Bosch's dozen sacks in a year the Bengals finished last in the NFL in sacks per pass.

Odom is due in Phoenix Tuesday to visit the Cardinals, but nothing is scheduled beyond that. After missing out on Smith to the 49ers, the Vikings could be next.

The Bengals also confirmed a Monday visit by Marlon McCree, another Kentucky product and a free safety last with San Diego.

This is exactly what I thought would happen when I read the article last night. He has no reason to sign with the Bengals when he knows either the Jets will have to pay him, or more likely just cut him. We gave Calvin Pace a 20 million dollar Guarantee and he's got a half sack less in his career then Drob. A desperate team like the Broncos will pay him if he becomes a free agent, especially if they aren't giving up picks. As a fan I'm pissed but I don't blame him or his agent for this move.

So all the people that were whining that we only got a 4th & a 5th for DRob can now see what his trade value is: garbage.

For a merely-decent player (in the 4-3) who everyone knows we're cutting, a 4th and a 5th was a steal for us. Freakin' multiple pro bowl DT's were only garnering a 3rd & a 5th themselves.

So all the people that were whining that we only got a 4th & a 5th for DRob can now see what his trade value is: garbage.

For a merely-decent player (in the 4-3) who everyone knows we're cutting, a 4th and a 5th was a steal for us. Freakin' multiple pro bowl DT's were only garnering a 3rd & a 5th themselves.

People here would whine if we got a first round pick for him, complaining that he was clearly worth a first and a third.

The defensive tackle market has been pretty much plucked clean with the Jaguars trading Marcus Stroud to the Bills, and the Packers and Lions shipping Corey Williams and Rogers, respectively to the Browns.

Hopefully some team in need of a DT sees the market the same way as this article, and makes a move for DBone.

DAMMIT! I was just braging to my buddys about getting rid of his salary, and getting a 4th and 5th! now I'm gonna look like a putz! this sucks, I hope we can just unload his salary, if we can even get 1 pick outta him, a 4th would be great! but I'd settle for a 5th. well I'd settle for nothing! just get him outta here OFF THE BOOKS!

Jets confidential is saying the Bengals were spooked by DROBs left knee that has the bone-on-bone condition and nixed the deal.

bs, it was the contract $$$ they couldn't trim down with his agent. DRob is a warrior and hasn't missed a game from it yet.

It wouldn't hurt our cap whether we cut or traded him. There may even be a cap benefit in 2008 to cutting him instead of trading him.

Only thing we lose out on are those 2 draft picks. The very picks that people were saying were "not enough" for DRob. Well we're going to end up with a lot less than that; we're going to end up with nothing at all.

Archived