From NFL Draftcountdown- Heisman watch -

faba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Matt Leinart, QB, Southern Cal (SR)

2004 Stats: 3,322 yds., 33 TD's, 6 INT's

Seeing this guy at the top of the list can't come as much of a surprise to anyone. The returning winner, Leinart has a chance to become just the second player ever to win two Heisman's, trying to follow in the footsteps of former Ohio St. great Arhice Griffin. Once again the Trojans are loaded so Leinart has the weapons and will probably top his numbers of a year ago due to a more experienced group of offensive lineman and wideouts. Also, don't discount all the goodwill he has going in his favor after spurning the NFL for one last year at the college level.

2. Reggie Bush, RB, Southern Cal (JR)

2004 Rushing Stats: 908 yds., 6.8 avg., 6 TD's

2004 Receiving Stats: 43 rec., 590 yds., 7 TD's

If ever there was a player where statistics just didn't do him justice then this is him. In additon to his rushing and receiving totals, Bush also averaged 25.6 yards on kickoffs and 15.7 per on punt returns to go along with 2 touchdowns. There probably isn't a more explosive player in all of college football and opposing coaches and fans simply hold their breath everytime Bush touches the ball. Don't look for him to put up eye-popping numbers but his all-around play and highlight reel antics will earn him a place in New York.

3. Chris Leak, QB, Florida (JR)

2004 Stats: 3,197 yds., 29 TD's, 12 INT's

Outside of Southern Cal there may not be a more talented offense in the nation than the Gators, who now have offensive guru Urban Meyer. We all saw what Meyer's wide-open attack did for Alex Smith and Utah last year and if he can grasp the system quickly there is no reason why Leak won't have an outstanding season worthy of Heisman consideration. His numbers from last year are nothing to sneeze at, but Leak has to be licking his chops at the thought of winging the ball all over the field in 2005. He may be a bit of a sleeper now, but he won't be for long.

4. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma (SO)

2004 Stats: 1,925 yds., 5.7 avg., 15 TD's

This may be a little low for a guy who many felt should have won this award a year ago, but Peterson may have a bit tougher go of it this season. With quarterback Jason White and wide receivers Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley no longer in the picture defenses will be keying on Peterson and daring an unproven passing game to beat them. Also, keep in mind that the Sooners also graduated three outstanding offensive lineman in Jammal Brown, Vince Carter and Wes Sims so the holes up front probably won't be as big this time around.

5. Vince Young, QB, Texas (JR)

2004 Passing Stats: 1,849 yds., 12 TD's, 11 INT's

2004 Rushing Stats: 1,079 yds., 14 TD's

If you look at just his passing numbers you'd be inclined to think that this guy doesn't even belong in the top fifty of a Heisman watch list, but one glance at his rushing totals and it all becomes clear. While he still has a long ways to go as a passer you would have a tough time finding a more dynamic player when it comes to running the ball from the quarterback position. Just ask the Michigan Wolverines about their experience trying to defend him in the Rose Bowl. Young will either be a hero or a goat in 2005.

Honorable Mention:

Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota (JR)

Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green (JR)

Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio St. (SO)

DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis (SR)

Marshawn Lynch, RB, California (SO)

Leinart is the obvious favorite but Peterson is the best player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Matt Leinart, QB, Southern Cal (SR)

2004 Stats: 3,322 yds., 33 TD's, 6 INT's

Seeing this guy at the top of the list can't come as much of a surprise to anyone. The returning winner, Leinart has a chance to become just the second player ever to win two Heisman's, trying to follow in the footsteps of former Ohio St. great Arhice Griffin. Once again the Trojans are loaded so Leinart has the weapons and will probably top his numbers of a year ago due to a more experienced group of offensive lineman and wideouts. Also, don't discount all the goodwill he has going in his favor after spurning the NFL for one last year at the college level.

2. Reggie Bush, RB, Southern Cal (JR)

2004 Rushing Stats: 908 yds., 6.8 avg., 6 TD's

2004 Receiving Stats: 43 rec., 590 yds., 7 TD's

If ever there was a player where statistics just didn't do him justice then this is him. In additon to his rushing and receiving totals, Bush also averaged 25.6 yards on kickoffs and 15.7 per on punt returns to go along with 2 touchdowns. There probably isn't a more explosive player in all of college football and opposing coaches and fans simply hold their breath everytime Bush touches the ball. Don't look for him to put up eye-popping numbers but his all-around play and highlight reel antics will earn him a place in New York.

3. Chris Leak, QB, Florida (JR)

2004 Stats: 3,197 yds., 29 TD's, 12 INT's

Outside of Southern Cal there may not be a more talented offense in the nation than the Gators, who now have offensive guru Urban Meyer. We all saw what Meyer's wide-open attack did for Alex Smith and Utah last year and if he can grasp the system quickly there is no reason why Leak won't have an outstanding season worthy of Heisman consideration. His numbers from last year are nothing to sneeze at, but Leak has to be licking his chops at the thought of winging the ball all over the field in 2005. He may be a bit of a sleeper now, but he won't be for long.

4. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma (SO)

2004 Stats: 1,925 yds., 5.7 avg., 15 TD's

This may be a little low for a guy who many felt should have won this award a year ago, but Peterson may have a bit tougher go of it this season. With quarterback Jason White and wide receivers Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley no longer in the picture defenses will be keying on Peterson and daring an unproven passing game to beat them. Also, keep in mind that the Sooners also graduated three outstanding offensive lineman in Jammal Brown, Vince Carter and Wes Sims so the holes up front probably won't be as big this time around.

5. Vince Young, QB, Texas (JR)

2004 Passing Stats: 1,849 yds., 12 TD's, 11 INT's

2004 Rushing Stats: 1,079 yds., 14 TD's

If you look at just his passing numbers you'd be inclined to think that this guy doesn't even belong in the top fifty of a Heisman watch list, but one glance at his rushing totals and it all becomes clear. While he still has a long ways to go as a passer you would have a tough time finding a more dynamic player when it comes to running the ball from the quarterback position. Just ask the Michigan Wolverines about their experience trying to defend him in the Rose Bowl. Young will either be a hero or a goat in 2005.

Honorable Mention:

Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota (JR)

Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green (JR)

Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio St. (SO)

DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis (SR)

Marshawn Lynch, RB, California (SO)

Leinart is the obvious favorite but Peterson is the best player

If Peterson stays out of prison and stays healthy he'll win it going away.

Serious Question, TS

If Adrian was in the draft next year, and you were the Jets GM, would you trade your whole draft for the #1 Pick to draft Peterson?

Let's say the Jets were picking 27th in RD 1 ... would you make that trade ... 27th Overall Pick and the rest of your draft as well?

In other words, do you think Peterson will be a HOF RB in the Eric Dickerson mold ... cause that's what you would have to believe to swing such a trade

And who does he remind you of ... Dickerson, Billy Sims, or someone else?

Serious Question, TS

If Adrian was in the draft next year, and you were the Jets GM, would you trade your whole draft for the #1 Pick to draft Peterson?

Let's say the Jets were picking 27th in RD 1 ... would you make that trade ... 27th Overall Pick and the rest of your draft as well?

In other words, do you think Peterson will be a HOF RB in the Eric Dickerson mold ... cause that's what you would have to believe to swing such a trade

And who does he remind you of ... Dickerson, Billy Sims, or someone else?

I would never trade my whole draft for one player. Ever. That's fool's gold. But I would do an Eli Manning-type package, two firsts and a third for him. The guy he reminds me alot of, honestly, is Marshall Faulk with an extra 15 pounds. His ability to set up the next move instinctively is uncoachable and rare, like Faulk had at San Diego State. Just freaky stuff. How about you, Ham? I like the Dickerson comparison but his SMU days were a little before my time.

I would never trade my whole draft for one player. Ever. That's fool's gold. But I would do an Eli Manning-type package, two firsts and a third for him. The guy he reminds me alot of, honestly, is Marshall Faulk with an extra 15 pounds. His ability to set up the next move instinctively is uncoachable and rare, like Faulk had at San Diego State. Just freaky stuff. How about you, Ham? I like the Dickerson comparison but his SMU days were a little before my time.

Reminds me of another Oklahoma Sooner ... Billy Sims

You actually described the reason why when you said a bigger Marshall Faulk ... that pretty much describes Billy Sims ... rare combination of size and elusiveness/wiggle ... also has the element of speed

That was Billy Sims .. size, speed, AND wiggle

It's not so rare to see size and speed, but it's rare for a RB to possess size and wiggle

Anyhow, that's the guy Peterson reminds me of ... Sims

Got a little Eric Dickerson in him too ... sometimes he reminds me of Dickerson even more than Sims ... big kid, runs a little upright {like E.D.}, and really turns on the Jets

BTW TS ... If I had a crystal ball and "I KNEW" {for a fact} that he was going to be Sims or Dickerson, and remain healthy for a number of years, I might trade my entire draft for the #1 Overall Pick

Dickerson and Sims were two of the best RB's who ever lived ... virtually unstoppable ... that's a heck of a weapon to have on offense ... if you get a RB like that {and he stays healthy}, you have the best running game in the NFL for a LONG TIME

I would not make that trade ... even knowing that in advance ... if I had a number of holes to fill

But when I look at the Jets ... a really nice young core throughout ... that ALL WORLD RB {to replace an aging Martin} will soon be the biggest need, with all else paling in comparison

For that kinda RB {Sims/Dickerson}, the Jets might be in a position to sacrifice one draft?

Archived